Opinion John Oliver destroying the false prophets

Macalpinerules

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
For those of you who don't watch John Oliver's show I recommend you view this clip from one of his recent airings. It's the funniest and smartest takedown of televangelists I've ever seen. And it is an incredible accidental study of human psychology. Some of the cases Oliver alludes to are fascinating for the fact that if you remove them from their religious context then the people involved in them might very well be diagnosed with a serious mental illness like schizophrenia or something, but since the motivation behind their actions is faith we are made to believe that these people are not doing something bordering on insanity. For example, the woman who keeps sending her money to a preacher as a "seed" to help her cure her cancer instead of seeking professional medical attention.

Last edited:
They're con artists more than anything. People will follow because they always want hope, which is understandable. Sad that they get taken advantage of.

Its a good bit. I think John Oliver is hit and miss when it comes to comedy but the topics he covers are interesting and he gives them a decent amount of attention.

Jon Stewart is the opposite for me. He's funnier but he picks low hanging fruit most of the time I see him by mostly going after the partisan hacks and hot button issues.

When he showed the letters and time he put into this piece, it just took it to another level. Absolutely brilliant.

Discrediting televangelists is smart? That's like thinking someone is smart for discrediting Ms Cleo.

Those charlatans should be prosecuted.

lol yes he is. The guy saying he bought a Jet and then bought a bigger one was just down right ridiculous. I could never be in a church like that.

Even the people in the church were like "this fucking dude".

The sad part is, the people who are getting robbed are doing so with a smile on their faces. They would probably watch this and say Oliver was wrong. Can't help those that don't want help.

lol yes he is. The guy saying he bought a Jet and then bought a bigger one was just down right ridiculous. I could never be in a church like that.

If you're in a church... Then you're in a church like that. Even if it's on a much smaller level.

Those charlatans should be prosecuted.

But what's the difference between this and regular pastors/priests...

Just histrionics and a misplaced public credibility. They're both selling the same product. They are all con men.

LV3NsNZ.png

i don't go to church, and i don't give them money. i was raised catholic, and priests are not living the high life. it's a humble existence, whether you choose to believe that or not.

As someone who follows the teaching of Jesus, these guys are an embarrassment.

If you're in a church... Then you're in a church like that. Even if it's on a much smaller level.

Nah I've seen churches that are literally bare minimum. I went to one with my sister because my nephew was being baptized. This was place so run down and ghetto and it was their new facility before they were just in someones house. Maybe eventually they'll turn into something like a double jet church that's always possible. Either way it doesn't matter to me I don't go to church period I don't believe in that stuff.

Really... And it's almost a sick irony that you're in here making fun of these guys while giving money to your church if you go to one. It's unfortunate you don't see that.
Except not really. Its one thing to ask for a modest donation and pass around a box to put it in and another to aggressively ask for hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars with a specific emphasis on those who are incredibly vulnerable for some reason (terminally ill or lost a loved one).

To be fair, he does sell a lot of books. I was at a Barnes and Noble and there were 4-5 of his books there.

That said I doubt that mansion was paid for only by his book sales.

Back