Jogging Program Help

Mack

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Jogging Program Help

Hey guys, I need some help. I am terribly out of shape. Mainly because of the stupid life style I had. And I started running from time to time, but really cant keep up with it cause I do not have any base or program to follow.

Well anyway I decided to start Stanton's running program. I just read about the program not long ago. And I know that if I have a plan to follow I can do it, and I iwll make it, but I need your help to tell me if this program is worth it, because for some reason, the program seems a little to easy, maybe its for old ladies.

I am not overweight or naything, used to be all about sports, but I am totaly out of shape because of my stupid life style. And I need your input plz.

So here is the program.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

warmup before each run (obviously)

week 1
3 days
start with 1 min run then 1 min walk, repeat 6 times

= 6 minutes of walk and 6 minutes of run for each of the 3 days

week 2
3 days
start with 2 min run then 1 min walk, repeat six times

= 12 minutes of run and 6 minutes of walk for each of the 3 days

week 3 to 10
3 days
always add 1 min to the minutes of run each day and stay with 1 min walk, repeat it 6 times

so in the tenth week I should be able to run 10 minutes without any trouble.

then your suppose to find your own pace or something

http://www.homemakers.com/homemakers/client/en/Home/DetailNews.asp?idNews=575

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For some reason this seems weird, but I guess it could be good for startes like me, any input is welcomed, thanks.

Sounds like you are starting from ground zero and want to build a decent cardio base. The LAPD Academy has a recommended 4 month pre-academy physical prep program. The running portion is designed to take healthy non-runners and get them to a reasonable level of running endurance so they won't exploded in the first week of the academy. It will take you from running 1/2 mile in 6-8 minutes (week 1) to running 4 miles at a 9-10 minute pace by week 16.

You can find it on the LAPD recruitment page.

screw that mate just run. Say 2km then just add 500m each week till you get up to 6-8km or so then over the next weeks try to run faster each time, then start adding intervals, youll be suprised at how fast your fitness will improve.

Your right that program sucks, its for out of shape old ladies, the web address says it all. BTW 10 mins of straght running after 10 weeks of training is a joke.

Yeh thanks guys, Ill see what I can do. Ill try to find naother prog, and for now Ill just keep running.

Mack said:
Jogging Program Help

Hey guys, I need some help. I am terribly out of shape. Mainly because of the stupid life style I had. And I started running from time to time, but really cant keep up with it cause I do not have any base or program to follow.

Well anyway I decided to start Stanton's running program. I just read about the program not long ago. And I know that if I have a plan to follow I can do it, and I iwll make it, but I need your help to tell me if this program is worth it, because for some reason, the program seems a little to easy, maybe its for old ladies.

I am not overweight or naything, used to be all about sports, but I am totaly out of shape because of my stupid life style. And I need your input plz.

So here is the program.

warmup before each run (obviously)

week 1
3 days
start with 1 min run then 1 min walk, repeat 6 times

= 6 minutes of walk and 6 minutes of run for each of the 3 days

week 2
3 days
start with 2 min run then 1 min walk, repeat six times

= 12 minutes of run and 6 minutes of walk for each of the 3 days

week 3 to 10
3 days
always add 1 min to the minutes of run each day and stay with 1 min walk, repeat it 6 times

so in the tenth week I should be able to run 10 minutes without any trouble.

then your suppose to find your own pace or something

http://www.homemakers.com/homemakers/client/en/Home/DetailNews.asp?idNews=575

For some reason this seems weird, but I guess it could be good for startes like me, any input is welcomed, thanks.
pathetic

it sounds like a decent program to build a solid aerobic base on. and it can be modified so it isn't "old lady" training. for example, if running for 1 minute is too easy, try running at that pace for 2 minutes, or running faster for that one minute. make sure that you push yourself so that every week you can increase the duration or intensity a bit

Back