Joe Stevenson's armbar on Jason Von Flue (TUF2)

JustSomeGuy

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I know that TUF2 is MMA, but this is a grappling question. I am wondering about the final armbar that Joe Stevenson applied to Jason Von Flue. It was a great transition from RNC to armbar, but the armbar didn't look that tight and applied before JVF started tapping. Did anyone else see this? What are your thoughts?

It looked pretty tight to me. That arm wasn't going anywhere.

I would've liked to see a more detailed analysis of the armbar in slow motion along with multiple camera angles

I don't think that JVF was going to get out of that armbar. If anything, he would've heard a loud pop. Then he would have tapped. I think that tapping when he did, was the smart decision on JVF's part.

it was legit. the arm was fully extended and joe hadn't even raised his hips yet.

he was right to tap when he did ... he should've tried rolling out of it the other way though he was trying to roll away from joe which rarely works rathen then into him and then stand up

It surprised me at first because it ended so quickly, but the arm was fully straightened and even though Joe only used his right arm to control it, JVF wasn't getting out. It was an unconventional arm bar, but a solid one and a great roll for Joe.

JustSomeGuy said:
I know that TUF2 is MMA, but this is a grappling question. I am wondering about the final armbar that Joe Stevenson applied to Jason Von Flue. It was a great transition from RNC to armbar, but the armbar didn't look that tight and applied before JVF started tapping. Did anyone else see this? What are your thoughts?

It was tight. It wasnt one you are used to see where its at your chest he just pulled it down to the side and lifted his hip barely. He had ahold of jasons wrist so it wasnt going anywhere

That was a very nice armbar...Joe hadn't even extended his hips yet...

Very slick. Joe was using his armpit to hold Jason's arm in place. That is the way you are taught to put on a really tight armbar.

The skill disparity in grappling between the two was so great that Joe could armbar Jason with one arm and make it look like he was giving a lesson. Joe is incredible on the ground. Jason is not.

I just figured if you are fighting for your career and 6 figures, you might try to defend the armbar for a second or two before tapping.

his arm was LOCKED, fully extended... JVF didn't even see the armbar coming

JustSomeGuy said:
I just figured if you are fighting for your career and 6 figures, you might try to defend the armbar for a second or two before tapping.

With the station of that armbar, positioning of both fighters, JVF could have either layed there and waited to tap for a few seconds while enduring the 'My Elbow is Popping' pain(He couldn't roll back over, nor get his left hand into a defensive assist on his right...) Or Joe could have moved a few inches and finished Jason's arm and forced the ref to intervene.

Fact of the matter is, Joe Stevenson is considered by many to already have the 'World Class' level of grappling proficiency that could teach many UFC veterans a thing or two. Jason is by no means a 'bad' grappler, he just made a mistake, and Joe didn't let anything slip through. It's like grappling with a Gracie. You can have your purple, you can fight professionally and probably win a good deal of fights.. But if they get you on the ground, and you make a mistake, it's done. It's a whole different level of skill.

NO SHIT....that overhook grip makes it dangerously tight....if he had bucked even a little, his elbow woulda went SNNNAAAAP!

Stevenson looked like he was lounging around. LOL. That arm looked hyper extended already before he tapped. It was quick though.

it was a great armbar. like everyone esle said, he didnt even extend his hips

That thing was tight as hell

Back