Joe Rogan: The UFC Needs More Weight Classes; Do You Agree?

A

AronaBeatsJones

78248-show-95083.jpg

In Joe Rogan's recent podcast with Jeff Novitzky, they discussed the effect that IV bans are going to have on weight cutting, and Rogan suggested that the UFC needs MORE weight classes.

However, he also stated that the UFC disagrees, that they don't want to water down weight divisions ala boxing, and less weight classes result in more stacked divisions (which does make sense).

Nonetheless, Rogan brought up the big 20 lb gap between middleweight (185 lbs) and light heavyweight (205 lbs): a fighter who should fight around 195 lbs, they have no choice but to make an unfair compromise to cut all that weight to make 185, and then have to rehydrate via drinking (which causes cramps), or come in undersized at 205.

Rogan also brought up the gap between light heavyweight (205) and heavyweight (265), suggesting that something should be in the middle for smaller heavyweights.

So would you support a weight class system like this if it resulted in less weight cutting?

265 Heavyweight
225 Cruiserweight
205 Light Heavyweight
195 Super Middleweight
185 Middleweight
175 Super Welterweight
165 Welterweight
155 Lightweight
145 Featherweight
135 Bantamweight
125 Flyweight

Sure if they bring back the WEC for every division 155 and under.

Maybe doing something with the heavier weight classes and opening up the HWs. But other then that. No.

78248-show-95083.jpg

In Joe Rogan's recent podcast with Jeff Novitzky, they discussed the effect that IV bans are going to have on weight cutting, and Rogan suggested that the UFC needs MORE weight classes.

However, he also stated that the UFC disagrees, that they don't want to water down weight divisions ala boxing, and less weight classes result in more stacked divisions (which does make sense).

Nonetheless, Rogan brought up the big 20 lb gap between middleweight (185 lbs) and light heavyweight (205 lbs): a fighter who should fight around 195 lbs, they have no choice but to make an unfair compromise to cut all that weight to make 185, and then have to rehydrate via drinking (which causes cramps), or come in undersized at 205.

Rogan also brought up the gap between light heavyweight (205) and heavyweight (265), suggesting that something should be in the middle for smaller heavyweights.

So would you support a weight class system like this if it resulted in less weight cutting?

265 Heavyweight
225 Cruiserweight
205 Light Heavyweight
195 Super Middleweight
185 Middleweight
175 Super Welterweight
165 Welterweight
155 Lightweight
145 Featherweight
135 Bantamweight
125 Flyweight

A cruiserweight weight class could be fun. It would definitely allow a Jones v Fedor fight for example.

I swear to god Frank23 did this EXACT thread like a week ago.

Your list looks good, but I can live without 225.

EDIT: I would actually really like them to split 155 and 170 in to 155, 165, 175. 170 to 155 is a really really big jump and those are two are probably the biggest offenders of people cutting too much. Also 155 is being a bitch for me to make with same day weigh ins.

I like the addition of the cruiser weight, but if they did that i'd want them to get rid of the 265 limit. 225 could encompass anybody up to 250, and if you're naturally over 250 then you should be able to fight any sized guy.

so the point of more weight classes is what ?

More belts
More ppvs
more money??

No, if anything they should merge 125 and 135 together.

I feel like instead of 145 and 135 they should just do 140. I find it kind of odd how there are four weight classes all within 10 pounds of each-other.

IF we are looking to confuse the fans by having a belt every 10lbs, then yes, it's a great idea.

The usual fan doesn't like to talk about the 14 different belts and try to track the contenders for each division.

K1 was most successful and most fun to watch when they had 70kilos and open weight. Sumo is best without weight classes. So is NFL, jockey, curling, skiing, Tennis, and even BJJ tournaments are more exciting. It's more meaningful to win a belt/championship/tournament when it's not artificially constrained based on weight/height/ethnicity or whatever. All compete, only the best wins.

He really goes out of his way to prove he's a fucking idiot. There isn't enough talent to have more divisions. Not even close.

No way, then we get the boxing dilemma, too many champions, belts are meaningless. I can agree with maybe 1-2 more, and that's pushing it.

I say less weight classes would be better. Completely eliminate anything under 155, I'd be fine with that. Replace that with a super heavyweight class.

I didn't vote but I am good the way things are for now as there are too few fighters in the talent pool as it is, especially in the higher divisions from MW up. WW is good and LW is talent rich but I don't see any need to mess with things.

If they do add a 195 lb division it must be called Franklinweight!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back