Media Joe Rogan tells Dana to promote Muay Thai in 4 oz gloves

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mm...34653a1a2841615bf1f16&ei=145#image=AA1gNWfd|1

"Rogan expressed his willingness to provide commentary on the possibility of the UFC organizing a pay-per-view event exclusively featuring Muay Thai.

The 56-year-old also suggested that Michael Schiavello, a commentator for ONE Championship, be recruited to provide coverage for the hypothetical event.

According to Sportskeeda, Rogan said, "The UFC should hire Michael Shiavello and do a Muay Thai card. Dana, I'll commentate. You heard me. I'll commentate it. Let's go."

Schiavello responded to Joe Rogan's request on X (formerly Twitter), expressing his interest in collaborating with Rogan and the UFC.

He tweeted, ".@joerogan has an idea for @UFC to do a Muay Thai show in 4oz gloves and he tells @DanaWhite here that he will commentate it! @Mickmaynard2 LET'S DO IT! The awesome machine of the world's #1 martial arts organisation UFC behind the most spectacular striking sport!"

View attachment 1004643

Instead Dana is promoting power slap

Rogan is reading the 'tea leaves' wrong in my opinion. I see the UFC doing women's mud wrestling in bikinis (pretty women, not UFC women) or midget MMA (think Hasbullah and friends) before Muay Thai.

So why is your title a lie? It implies Joe wants to switch the gloves used in the UFC.

The Muay Thai fights in ONE have been fire. I would love for the casual audience to be be exposed to it. Though I don't think it should be a Muay Thai only card. Gotta have an mma headliner to draw in those casuals. That's how I got into it. But once you see it you realize it's even more entertaining than mma.

Muay thai in MMA gloves isn't my absolute favorite. Mind you the lower oz isn't a issue. K-1/RISE have their guys fight in 6-8 oz boxing gloves. Its just the MMA gloves have lead to a lot of eye pokes in ONE and bad hand breaks according to multiple thais.

Also a main reason there are a ton more finishes in ONE MT is because of lack of clinching and scoring changes. Still a better combat sport than MMA though ;)

The Muay Thai fights in ONE have been fire. I would love for the casual audience to be be exposed to it. Though I don't think it should be a Muay Thai only card. Gotta have an mma headliner to draw in those casuals. That's how I got into it. But once you see it you realize it's even more entertaining than mma.

I watch mma because it's the most complete form of sanctioned fighting with the largest x factor of what could happen in a matchup. With that comes a higher chance of not every fight being as exciting as it could be under a more limited martial art such as ONE's Muay Thai. In the end it's a trade that's worth it for me though

So basically do what OneFC is doing and taking their commentator as well.
Does it seem like the dude is ready to jump ship to you? That's the vibe I'm getting.

No thanks, who the fuck is the UFC going to sign that's actually good and worth watching?
ONE Championship already has all the top fighters locked up for 4oz glove Muay Thai and they also have the full developmental pipeline setup as well. They are where it's at for small glove Muay Thai.

Absolutely, I see where you're coming from, and there's no denying that ONE Championship has made significant inroads in showcasing top-tier Muay Thai talent with 4oz gloves. However, consider this when the UFC first gained traction, it single-handedly created a massive surge in interest for BJJ in the U.S. If the UFC were to introduce a Muay Thai division, given their enormous global reach and marketing abilities, there's a high likelihood that Muay Thai could witness an explosion in popularity stateside. It's not just about who they sign initially, it's about the domino effect it creates. We would likely see a proliferation of Muay Thai gyms even overshadowing some boxing gyms as people recognize it as a more complete striking discipline. So while ONE Championship currently holds the torch for elite Muay Thai, never underestimate the cultural and market impact the UFC could have on the sport's growth in the U.S. and beyond.

I watch mma because it's the most complete form of sanctioned fighting with the largest x factor of what could happen in a matchup. With that comes a higher chance of not every fight being as exciting as it could be under a more limited martial art such as ONE's Muay Thai. In the end it's a trade that's worth it for me though

I don't really care about whatever rationalizing you're doing, I just want more people to view the fights. It's entertaining, and deserves exposure. I think it would catch on with the right promotion.

if there is one universal truth about dana white it's that he will shoot down and drag his feet on any idea that is remotely good until he is absolutely required to acquiesce to it, at which point he will take all the credit for it even though he was in staunch opposition of it the entire time
This has been true of Dana his entire life, he comes up with the ideas that fail and takes credit for those that succeed even though he was virtually against them all.

Last edited:
Absolutely, I see where you're coming from, and there's no denying that ONE Championship has made significant inroads in showcasing top-tier Muay Thai talent with 4oz gloves. However, consider this when the UFC first gained traction, it single-handedly created a massive surge in interest for BJJ in the U.S. If the UFC were to introduce a Muay Thai division, given their enormous global reach and marketing abilities, there's a high likelihood that Muay Thai could witness an explosion in popularity stateside. It's not just about who they sign initially, it's about the domino effect it creates. We would likely see a proliferation of Muay Thai gyms even overshadowing some boxing gyms as people recognize it as a more complete striking discipline. So while ONE Championship currently holds the torch for elite Muay Thai, never underestimate the cultural and market impact the UFC could have on the sport's growth in the U.S. and beyond.

You raise a good point, if the UFC could successfully popularize Muay Thai it could become huge. If they're willing to play the long game and work on developing fighters along with helping to build the support, coaching, sanctioning organizations for competition and so forth it'll do wonders for bringing a new combat sport to the US and making it something that every kid wants to get into.

Unfortunately I feel the UFC is far more likely to go for making a quick buck at the expense of the long term health of the sport.

I kinda don't like MT 4 oz gloves. They don't clinch and it's only 3 rounds. I want to see some brutal elbow fight.

Also Eddie Bravo looks bloated like round earth.

I mean ill take Muay Thai events over that stupid Power Slap shit any day of the week...

I think in the coming years combat sports are going to come under increased scrutiny from the CTE issues.

Doesn't seem like a good idea to try to build up 4 oz glove MT right now.

Last edited:
Back