Joe Rogan on MMA judges: "They should have more than three judges."

Why's redban wearing a hat indoors? Is he jewish or a woman?

Why's redban wearing a hat indoors? Is he jewish or a woman?

Tons of people wear hats indoors. Why does it matter to so many of you what bitchy little fashion rules you have made up in your head?

Tons of people wear hats indoors. Why does it matter to so many of you what bitchy little fashion rules you have made up in your head?

Not a fashion rule, just common decency, no need to get your panties in a wad over it. Just asked a question, relax.

But he didn't really win. If you would've asked me at the time I wouldn't said Gus. After rewatch* it clearly should've been jones. I think a lot of fans would've had that same perspective. Plus a lot of the fans were drunk and high when the watched it.

Is this you trying to tell me your opinion on who won should be taken as fact because you are some super judging genius who never gets it wrong?

Or are you being literal as in...the judges said Jones won?

I don't understand what argument you are trying to make.

Keep the 3 judges system, but employ a "3 finger" system as well..

They have to watch the fight in a sound-proof room away from the crowd on a monitor with all the camera angles that viewers at home get, but no commentary.

Any judges decision that is handed down stands, BUT any judge whose card doesn't match that of Joe Rogan's card must have a finger removed.
If a judge loses three fingers over the course of time he is booted and replaced with a new fresh-handed judge of Joe Rogan's choosing.

The thing is, why 5? Why not 7? or 9? or 11? etc. The more the better, statistically speaking. However, judges need to be paid. The reason they go with 3, is that it's the lowest odd number that isn't just 1. Would it be better to A) spend 67% more on wages by increasing the number of judges from 3 to 5? or B) would it be better to hire better judges and/or train the judges better? I think the latter.

Last edited:
Joe needs to stfu. his opinions on mma lately have been just ignorant and weird. More weight classes, now more judges?

The judges should score the fight as a whole if anything. but i'm glad the judges make off calls, it helps sell the idea that you can't let it go to the judges. You can't coast, you can't take a round off. There have been maybe 5-6 horrible decisions that i consider robberies of the highest order in the last decade. That's not even an issue. Judging is 100x better than it was even a few years ago. After a somewhat controversial, but understandable call, its somehow a major problem again? I don't think so.

Definitely. 9 judges should score the fight from a bench that is not live at the event, with no commentary or crowd noise to influence anything. They should be appointed for life and should not be removable for cause.

They should issue written opinions too. I can see it now: fans have a "reasonable expectation of violence" that must be "objectively and subjectively bloody." MacDonald v. Lawler, UFC 189 (2015).

like some people have said. they should judge off of monitors, you get a better view than at cage side. that's probably partially why people win by missing punches, same thing for boxing.

5 judges would probably be better than 3, it's less likely to get 3 idiots than 2.

They need:
More judges.
Wider scoring range. (10,9.5,9,8.5 -7.0 etc.)

And more importantly: a system that is adaptable and one that you can actually make changes to. (the fact that the scoring system has needed major changes for so long and hasn't had any is a major failure in itself that has clearly caused a lot of issues that coudlve been avoided. The system should've been designed from the get go to be able to be changed frequently as needed. )

5 judges all watching via monitors with no commentary or audience noise.

It is a qualitative position, not a quantitative position. Get better and smarter people. What you'll end up with is a foggier view of the fight because the rules for judgement are both vague and ridiculous.

29-28, 30-27, 28-29, 30-26, 27-30..... is what we can look forward to.

It's an octagon, right? So why not have 10 judges to cover each side?

It's an octagon, right? So why not have 10 judges to cover each side?

Futurama-Fry.jpg

I dont think more judges would hurt.. Joe's other ideas were much more awful

I voted yes but after reading this thread I changed my mind. I say no, 3 is fine.

We do however need to be more liberal with draw rounds, 10-8 and 10-7 rounds. Draws are ok! It's better than a coin flip in an even fight because there "has" to be a winner

Back