Joe Rogan on MMA judges: "They should have more than three judges."

Frank23

Enter Sandman Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score

1:27:48-

Longtime UFC commentator Joe Rogan is in favor of having more than three judges to score fights. I think that it is an interesting idea. What are your thoughts?

20121228052541_IMG_4014.JPG

Update:

Last edited:
Definitely. 9 judges should score the fight from a bench that is not live at the event, with no commentary or crowd noise to influence anything. They should be appointed for life and should not be removable for cause.

I don't think it's the number of judges, it's just that the judges that we currently have are shit

Yes, lets add MORE incompetent people who don't understand the criteria, let alone the positions and movements to this equation so we can get more terrible results. Truly riveting.

I'm down, but they would have to be competent. Someone with no experience in combat sports should never judge a combat sport. It makes no sense.

Incompetence is still incompetence no matter if there's 3, 5, 7, 9 or whatever the number is. Maybe 5 judges could work better if you employ a high-low elimination type of judging each round then that way they could reach a general consensus in most cases. But shit judges are still shit no matter what procedure is used.

It might be interesting to have an even number of judges.

How about some actual background checks so we don't have another situation with Doug Crosby again?

I haven't really thought it through but 5 judges would be best I think - it would eliminate more draws/split decisions I think and when you get 4 to 1 decisions, you get a real idea of how competent that one judge (thus, they should be questioned and have to reason why they scored it the way they did).

Definitely. 9 judges should score the fight from a bench that is not live at the event, with no commentary or crowd noise to influence anything. They should be appointed for life and should not be removable for cause.

I see what u did. ....

Since wins and losses are irrelevant anyways (outside of the guaranteed win bonus) they need to take it all the way and simply crowd-source decisions.

His idea of the gaining points seemed completely insane. Judges can barely tell who won a round. But he wants them to judge how effective techniques are on the fly? Or to even assign a point value to a punch seems crazy. It would be impossibly complex. But adding two more judges might help.

I think they should keep it as is, but give more 10 8 rounds. Also I personally believe the last round should be worth more than the first two. In any real fight your not judged by the opening engagement, youre judged on who victorious at the end. I get it's a sport so it can't all be based on the last round, but I feel it should be weighed a bit more heavily.

more judges would make it worse and more confusing and also more susceptible to having incompetent judges in the lineup not saying it's good now but I don't see that working out well.

If they could somehow entice ex fighters into doing it it would probably help. Though so many of them probably have trained with certain teams/fighters or know them, you'd have to question their impartiality.

Maybe get the refs while they're sitting idle watching the fights. I'm sure they're scoring the fights in their heads and are more qualified than some of the current judges.

I have a question for anybody who can answer it.

Since AC appoint the judges, are they/some former boxing judges or judges from another sport?

3 judges in separate rooms watching on monitors I would like. I wouldn't be opposed to 5 judges either, but I'm not totally sold on it though. Personally, I like the scoring system. Just not some of the judges.

All fights should have a sherdog poll as judgement. Us 13 year olds will never screw up.

I think only Joe Rogan should judge the fights, with Dana having the veto of course.

Back