• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Joe Rogan made a good point (it wasn't about Jon Jones by the way)

Don't need to examine that deep. Vitor is a ped user and BJ lost twice to the ACTUAL goat.

Joe Rogan is one of the dumbest, most overrated figures on youtube and combat sports. The guy is totally biased when it comes to certain fighters, and essentially offers nothing intelligent on his podcasts which are carried by his guests that make people tune in, not him.

He's also into all those trendy, "dude bro" millennial vitamins and supplements like "Onnit" and "Alpha Brain" that make me dislike him even more. He's a poster boy for the 50 year old man children, still smoking pot at his age and acting like it's hip is also something embarrassing to see a middle aged man do.

He tries to sit on the fence when it comes to politics, always scared of offending someone. Not sure how he's gotten as far as he has, being a fundamental moron that has smoked half of his "Alpha Brain" away a long time ago. Not a funny comedian, doesn't say anything interesting, just asks redundant questions and throws his 2 cents in regarding BJJ while commentating fights and that's it. He sucks.

Yes, he heard it there because Atlas said it to him. It doesn't mean he didn't already think this. Everyone thought this, especially about the BJ and Vitor. Everybody knows they're front runners.
Actually, IIRC, I had BJ winning the 1st Rd vs Gomi, then realistically losing the 2nd Rd & the momentum (with Gomi stuffind TDs and connecting with jabz).. Then BJ took him down pretty quickly in the 3rd and got the RNC

So if potentially you were the most dominant champion ever, and simply just crushed everybody, no exceptions. Then you could never be the goat because you never faced overcame adveristy? Because you were simply so good noone could beat you? So instead some mediocre fighter who overcame adversity but couldn´t even reach your feet, is the goat...right. What a flawed, ignorant and close minded way of thinking.

Important fighters in the history of the sport but definitely not GOATs

That and having double digit loses ...

This. Anyone claiming Penn is some sort of GOAT is just desperately holding onto nostalgia. He is an all time great, but does not belong in any GOAT discussion.

GOAT's don't have adversities, they have momentary lapses of judgment, i.e. Bones

I 100% agree, and would throw Conor in there as well. Biggest frontrunner of them all, IMO.

He said BJ Penn and Vitor Belfort can't be the GOATs because they never overcame adversity to win a fight. They were front runners and always seem to break mentally when the going got tough.

For once, I agree with Joe.

<30>
I've never heard anyone argue that Vitor was in contention for the GOAT (I'm a big fan of his) and if they did they shouldn't be allowed an opinion on MMA.

I agree with you man, the frequency at which Joe does this is what's suspect. But a solid point nonetheless.

it should be noted that Joe also frequently references people during these discussions. He will often preface something by saying that so-and-so was on the show and said _______. Other times, he will throw out a few names, say he can't remember who, look to Jamie for help on remembering, etc.

To me, this suggests he is not intentionally stealing ideas and I think it is much more likely that all of the hours of conversations blend together in his head. That's not to give him a complete pass...just to say that I doubt it is intentional or that he would ever avoid admitting that someone else said something, if called on it.

You think a 50 year old man who’s been into sports his whole life just learned about the concept of a front runner? Just because it was the first time you had heard of it, it doesn’t mean that it was the first time Joe had heard of it.
No sir, I don't even think Joe made it that far mentally. He hasn't even thought "oh wait, that's a front runner". He just heard Teddy say something he thought was cool and profound, so he borrowed it hahaha.

Joe Rogan is one of the dumbest, most overrated figures on youtube and combat sports. The guy is totally biased when it comes to certain fighters, and essentially offers nothing intelligent on his podcasts which are carried by his guests that make people tune in, not him.

He's also into all those trendy, "dude bro" millennial vitamins and supplements like "Onnit" and "Alpha Brain" that make me dislike him even more. He's a poster boy for the 50 year old man children, still smoking pot at his age and acting like it's hip is also something embarrassing to see a middle aged man do.

He tries to sit on the fence when it comes to politics, always scared of offending someone. Not sure how he's gotten as far as he has, being a fundamental moron that has smoked half of his "Alpha Brain" away a long time ago. Not a funny comedian, doesn't say anything interesting, just asks redundant questions and throws his 2 cents in regarding BJJ while commentating fights and that's it. He sucks.
Damn, made me look like a fanboy dude Hahahah.

Last edited:
I think there is a lot more to thinking that Penn and Belfort are not GOAT candidates than being a so called front runner.

So if potentially you were the most dominant champion ever, and simply just crushed everybody, no exceptions. Then you could never be the goat because you never faced overcame adveristy? Because you were simply so good noone could beat you? So instead some mediocre fighter who overcame adversity but couldn´t even reach your feet, is the goat...right. What a flawed, ignorant and close minded way of thinking.

That’s not the example though. They’re saying Tyson and Penn didn’t perform well when they faced adversity. They’re evaluating their actual performances in that scenario—because it happened. You’re upset about an entirely different scenario that nobody is even talking about.

Back