joe rogan giving you tips on striking

Dennis Siver has used this kick on two occasions I can think of to hurt an opponent badly before setting up a finish by punches. Is there a notable difference in technique between Siver, who primarily comes from a generic kicboxing background, Lyoto Machida (who uses spinning back kicks to force opponents back and keep them guessing) and how Rogan was demonstrating it?

Dennis Siver has used this kick on two occasions I can think of to hurt an opponent badly before setting up a finish by punches. Is there a notable difference in technique between Siver, who primarily comes from a generic kicboxing background, Lyoto Machida (who uses spinning back kicks to force opponents back and keep them guessing) and how Rogan was demonstrating it?

Personally, I think it is more a difference in the individual's technique, as opposed to a general overall difference in the "technique" in and of itself. IMHO, two of the ways that I see it most misused or not used to its fullest potential today, are when it is used offensively, because, it really is a defensive technique, ie., it should be thrown similar to a push kick or teep, that is, once you see your opponent begin to go on the offensive, that is the best time to use it, and too often it is thrown without conviction. If you watch "some" MMA fighters use it, they use it in a "flippy" offense manner, and that makes me cringe. It is just a showy, fruitless, expenditure of energy, more than anything.

If you go back in time a bit, fighters like Benny "The Jet" Urquidez, and the previous "Iceman", Jean Yves Theriault, knew how to utliize it to its full potential.

:icon_chee

Last edited:

when did Machida do a spinning kick?

lol the lizard was the best fucking part

btw, his kick seems very effective and powerful.
great vid.

Overall, Joe's presentation of the kick is pretty spot-on. There are some pretty minor technical differences from the way I would execute it, but I attribute that to personal preferences. The only minor criticism I would have is that Joe did not teach the defensive or counter back kick, which is by far the most frequently used version of the kick in modern sport TKD. It's also easier to damage the opponent with the counter back kick, because it's thrown on their attack and they essentially walk right into the kick.

Joe was a legitimate contender back in the 90's. I don't think he ever won at nationals or made a run for the US team, but he did win at the US Open, which is a pretty big international open tournament held in the US every year. Winning that is no joke.

He got his black belt from JH Kim TKD in Boston, which is a school that taught a blend of Kukki TKD and ITF style: Jae Hun Kim Taekwon-do Institute: Boston, Quincy, Cambridge, Newton, Ashland

I recently got caught with an SBK in a sparring session (with chest protector on) which resulted in severely bruised ribs. I had difficulty breathing deep or sitting for about a month. Could have been fractured, but doctors are for pu**ies.

The type of kick Joe demonstrated is effective, ofcourse, but you can't discredit the one that he states is the wrong way of doing it. It's much better for hitting the liver. When I first started experimenting with it during sparring and didn't hold back i got one guy really good, straight in the liver. From that point on I only did it while pulling the power but still I know it is very effective.

He's gonna do another piece for 10th planet on their next Mastering the Technique video

lol the lizard was the best fucking part

btw, his kick seems very effective and powerful.
great vid.

That's because the heavy bag was only 60 lbs. :icon_lol:

I imagine a lot of the anti-TMA/anti-TKD crowd hearing Joe give some respect to TKD techniques and think "but dude it ain't MT or BJJ...it must suck!". lol

For real.

I think as MMA strikers get better, we'll get to see more ax kicks, spinning back kicks, side kicks. IMO, those are some of the most effective strikes from TKD.

Ax kicks are hard to block if you've never fought against them. They are great for closing distance, forcing your opponent to block, and getting into punching range.

Cung Le's Jab into Spinning Back Kick is a sick setup that uses a lot of range. Most people will back away from the jab but they are still in distance for the kick.

Back