Joe Rogan and Rubber Guard

contactdaniel24

White Belt
Reaction score
The most annoying thing about watching the UFC is how often Joe Rogan points out when someone is using Rubber Guard or something called Mission Control. (I can not stand all the crazy names people use for positions as it is) I have never truly seen the Rubber guard used in any offensive way in the UFC. The rubber guard has only been useful for one thing....... stalling. If anyone one truly ever seen a useful rubber guard in a fight, I would love to SEE it. Everytime someone uses it, they will hold it for 20-30 seconds then once they realize its uselessness they let it go, but Rogan talks like the end of the fight is soon or something. AM I THE ONLY PERSON WHO THINKS THIS.

For Rogan: Yes, we know you like rubber guard. Yes, we know you're a student of Eddie Bravo. Yes, guys in the ufc have used rubber guard. We don't need you to point it out everytime the opportunity presents itself. Rubber Guard! Mission Control! Rubber Guard! Speak on the effective stuff.

This is not a knock on Bravo, just on Rogan's ability constantly mention it once and a while when a fight might consider using it.

of course we all know rubber guard is completely and entirely useless, and fighters who use it ineffectively just prove it

and what's this "armbar" thing everybody always escapes from?

I can't remember who was using it on this past weekends fights, but they were using it offensively, clearing the neck and setting up the omoplata sweep.

didn't Hazelett set up an Omoplata against Burkman from rubber guard?

Fighters just don't know how to use it properly. And yes, Rogan even says it can be defensive to stop a guy from raising up and raining down blows on you.

believe he did...

that's fine.. this is like the 9th anti-rubberguard thread i've read in the past few days.

Hazelett used it offensively at the finale on Saturday, Jason Day used it to throw elbows a few events ago, Aoki regularly uses it to set up subs(obviously not in the ufc).

Its use seems to be more and more common these days, which hopefully means more people will use it competently.

Nick Diaz vs Gomi.

Also my friend Ben Petit won a fight via gogo plata.

Rubber guard is just another guard. I don't think it should get the praise it gets...or the hate it gets. If you like using it more power to you. Is it the be all-end all of revolutionary jiu-jitsu? No way. Do some people use it effectively? Yes way.

gogos do not mean someone is doing rubber guard. I just commenting on how often Rogan will jump to the opportunity to mention it. That's all!

he always says, "he isnt using it correctly...ok now he is.."

Get over yourself Rogan.

Gina Carano used the rubber guard to transition into a pretty tight gogoplata.
Aoki used it very effectively against JZ.

Instead of whining about it, why not set the TV on mute? Or turn it off, if it bothers you that much

Instead of whining about it, why not set the TV on mute? Or turn it off, if it bothers you that much

Wow! you must be a Eddie Bravo student or something. Nothing wrong with opinions here, you should take your own advice, and not write responses like these. If your not going to respond with a real opinion, then you should respond at all.

Wow! you must be a Eddie Bravo student or something. Nothing wrong with opinions here, you should take your own advice, and not write responses like these. If your not going to respond with a real opinion, then you should respond at all.

wtf are you going on about?

He just gave you his opinion. You bitch too much.

(hint: He doesn't need to type it out in exact words for you to tell what his opinion on the matter is)

gogos do not mean someone is doing rubber guard. I just commenting on how often Rogan will jump to the opportunity to mention it. That's all!

No you weren't. You were bitching about something you labeled as "useless" and "non-offensive" when there are numerous cases of RG being used offensively. You're full of shit :icon_chee.

considering Aoki has learnt alot from Bravo, and Aoki reads Bravos books for tips, and considering Bravo showed Aoki alot of shit when they did their magazine shoot, and considering Rogan trains directly under Bravo...

I'm gonna have to say Rogan knows rubber guard > than the most of guys around.

~Foz

Back