Joe Rogan and Rubber Guard

Wow! you must be a Eddie Bravo student or something. Nothing wrong with opinions here, you should take your own advice, and not write responses like these. If your not going to respond with a real opinion, then you should respond at all.

considering Aoki has learnt alot from Bravo, and Aoki reads Bravos books for tips, and considering Bravo showed Aoki alot of shit when they did their magazine shoot, and considering Rogan trains directly under Bravo...

I'm gonna have to say Rogan knows rubber guard > than the most of guys around.

~Foz

I'm not a Bravo fan at all, but i'll admit I find myself using rubberguard often. It's is definately effective especially for MMA

See: Anything Aoki, Diaz vs. Gomi, Hazelett vs. Burkman, anything Brad Imes (Haha)

Gina Carano used the rubber guard to transition into a pretty tight gogoplata.
Aoki used it very effectively against JZ.

Aoki uses it pretty effectively against just about everyone. Especially whenever the opponent starts with a low posture (hands on biceps, inside armpits etc.) inside his closed guard. Haven't seen it be too useful in the UFC though..

Well I agree that many fighters use the rubber guard effectively. I have to admit that I am somewhat annoyed by the Eddie Bravo terminology during the UFC. Do they use it in any other venue? WEC, Elite, Dream,Strikeforce?

I'll admit bias because of learning directly under Nino Schembri for a while. We don't use the words "Mission Control" or rubber guard in our academy.

Is Eddie Bravo terminology standard MMA? Should we accept "Crack Head Guard" like we accept the term butterfly guard?

I'm not hating on Eddie or Rogan. Rogan has only said positive things about the Diaz boys and Cesar. So I'm cool with that.

I'm just a little annoyed when he says, "He's not doing the rubber guard right." or "He let it go."

I'm a big boy though. I just take a few deep breaths and then I'm ok.

considering Aoki has learnt alot from Bravo, and Aoki reads Bravos books for tips, and considering Bravo showed Aoki alot of shit when they did their magazine shoot, and considering Rogan trains directly under Bravo...

I'm gonna have to say Rogan knows rubber guard > than the most of guys around.

~Foz

I know this will be unpopular but personally think Eddie Bravo gets too much credit for it. He didn't create it, wasn't the first to use it effectively in grappling, and is far from the best BB that uses it. He is just one of the few guys that really fell in love with it so much that he advocates using it above most other things as your primary guard versus something to use in transition. Oh, and he markets the hell out of it taking credit for all things RG. :icon_twis

I've seen very few people use the Rubber Guard effectively. Rogan definitely gets excited about it.

I know this will be unpopular but personally think Eddie Bravo gets too much credit for it. He didn't create it, wasn't the first to use it effectively in grappling, and is far from the best BB that uses it. He is just one of the few guys that really fell in love with it so much that he advocates using it above most other things as your primary guard versus something to use in transition. Oh, and he markets the hell out of it taking credit for all things RG. :icon_twis

I plead ignorance on this...who did start using it, etc?
I'm not saying this to be a smart ass, i'm just seriously interested.

You strike my as (a) someone with little experience with the rubber guard or (b) someone too young to know any better or (c) both.

Um, what's wrong with a position that's both offensive and defensive? Isn't that EXACTLY what you'd like in a fight? Don't forget that every position has an escape too. If someone is being held and is stalling, it's not just one guy's fault- it's both.

Well I agree that many fighters use the rubber guard effectively. I have to admit that I am somewhat annoyed by the Eddie Bravo terminology during the UFC. Do they use it in any other venue? WEC, Elite, Dream,Strikeforce?

I'll admit bias because of learning directly under Nino Schembri for a while. We don't use the words "Mission Control" or rubber guard in our academy.

Is Eddie Bravo terminology standard MMA? Should we accept "Crack Head Guard" like we accept the term butterfly guard?

I'm not hating on Eddie or Rogan. Rogan has only said positive things about the Diaz boys and Cesar. So I'm cool with that.

I'm just a little annoyed when he says, "He's not doing the rubber guard right." or "He let it go."

I'm a big boy though. I just take a few deep breaths and then I'm ok.

It annoys the hell out of me when PBP guys walk me through grappling in general.

Joe is bad at this, but Bas Rutten is worse IMO. I want play by play or color commentary. I dont want a mini instructional on how to do the technique live. Especially by guys who are still essentially amateur grapplers.

It pisses me off.

"Okay, now he is going to try to grab the head. No wait. He let it go. What is he doing. He will never finish ... oh he got the sweep... I dont know why he let go of the head though. Okay now he is going to go for a choke. the choke is coming. it...oh not a choke, an armbar, but it might have been a choke."

When Rogan or Rutten or announcing I often put the broadcast to mute, and its sad becuase they used to be my favorite color guys.

rubber guard gets knocked a lot where i roll. apparently a lot of injuries? blown acls? has anyone heard of this?

What I really don't understand is all the uninformed opinions on who "invented rubber guard". Whenever Bravo gets any credit for coming up with a move...

All the BJJ purists harp on Nino Schembri using RG "ages ago". Yes, Elvis was known for using a high guard, grabbing his foot and going for omo/gogoplatas. But "high guard ->gogoplata" DOES NOT automatically mean rubber guard. The Diaz Gomi fight IS NOT an example of rubber guard. All Diaz did was pull his leg over as a double leg takedown counter and squeezed the choke. Not a rubber guard setup.

Eddie's system revolves around transitions from positions like New York, Chill Dog, Crackhead Control. I wager anyone to show me old footage of Nino Schembri using the Mission Control, which is one of the most basic positions in Eddie's system. You won't find it, because the system that Bravo developed is far more than "high guard/omoplata". Hell, show me any footage of ANYONE using Mission Control before Eddie before you claim that "he wasn't the first to use it".

Believe or not, Bravo came up with a whole system with positions that HE DEVELOPED, trying to demean his stature by saying "____ did it ages ago" when it's not true is just insulting. I'm not on Eddie's nuts or anything, but people have to give respect where respect is due.

All the BJJ purists harp on Nino Schembri using RG "ages ago". Yes, Elvis was known for using a high guard, grabbing his foot and going for omo/gogoplatas. But "high guard ->gogoplata" DOES NOT automatically mean rubber guard. The Diaz Gomi fight IS NOT an example of rubber guard. All Diaz did was pull his leg over as a double leg takedown counter and squeezed the choke. Not a rubber guard setup.

What do you mean not a rubber guard setup? So if I do a heel hook in MMA it isn't bjj because it's not in the curriculum?

Is that not BJJ? Does Machado BJJ become Carlson Gracie BJJ when you are doing MMA and set it up with a punch?

Dude, it is all the same. In this world, with everyone having access to everyone else, and the dissemination of information, it is impossible to say who learned what from who. AND in a sport as dynamic as MMA it is ludicrous to say that someone didn't use a particular technique properly because he went through unconventional means. It sounds worse if said person actually used it to tap a skilled grappler.

I personally like Bravo's teaching style, but unless he starts churning out more successful students, or starts winning big himself, I will see him as a salesman who happens to be a good grappler who found a nice niche.

What I really don't understand is all the uninformed opinions on who "invented rubber guard". Whenever Bravo gets any credit for coming up with a move...

Eddie's system revolves around transitions from positions like New York, Chill Dog, Crackhead Control. I wager anyone to show me old footage of Nino Schembri using the Mission Control, which is one of the most basic positions in Eddie's system. You won't find it, because the system that Bravo developed is far more than "high guard/omoplata". Hell, show me any footage of ANYONE using Mission Control before Eddie before you claim that "he wasn't the first to use it".

Believe or not, Bravo came up with a whole system with positions that HE DEVELOPED, trying to demean his stature by saying "____ did it ages ago" when it's not true is just insulting. I'm not on Eddie's nuts or anything, but people have to give respect where respect is due.

I know some guys get worked up about this at my school. Don't let Montanha read this because he'll get banned again. My point is that we don't use terms like crackhead control at our school. And I am not quite ready to accept it into my lexicon.

I also feel it's a slight conflict of interest when a commentator is promoting a certain system.

Like I said before I am not too worked up about it. However, if some new guy walks into my school and wants me to to show him the chill dog, he's going to get the evil eye.:icon_twis

Ok, so you do believe Eddie is all things rubber guard and if it isn't done his way then its not RG or as Rogen believes not very good rubber guard. Fair enough - Eddie is very good at his version of RG, has his own system for using it and a lot of devoted followers. As does Nino, Diaz and especially Drysdale. Not a huge deal either way but comes off a bit arrogant as not all great grapplers do that. I.e., Marcelo Garcia has a great butterfly/sitting guard with his own system for getting into it and utilizing it. Yet, Marcelo doesn't go around saying he invented it and if you don't do it his way then it isn't butterfly. :icon_chee

What do you mean not a rubber guard setup? So if I do a heel hook in MMA it isn't bjj because it's not in the curriculum?

Is that not BJJ? Does Machado BJJ become Carlson Gracie BJJ when you are doing MMA and set it up with a punch?

Dude, it is all the same. In this world, with everyone having access to everyone else, and the dissemination of information, it is impossible to say who learned what from who. AND in a sport as dynamic as MMA it is ludicrous to say that someone didn't use a particular technique properly because he went through unconventional means. It sounds worse if said person actually used it to tap a skilled grappler.

I personally like Bravo's teaching style, but unless he starts churning out more successful students, or starts winning big himself, I will see him as a salesman who happens to be a good grappler who found a nice niche.

Much better stated than my ramblings :redface:

This is one of the most ignorant and moronic posts I have read in a while. Reading this, I almost would think that if Eddie Bravo were gay, he would let you suck on his dick 24/7 because that is exactly what you would do.

You can't say because he didn't use "mission control" or whatever that he wasn't using rubber guard. The term was coined well before Eddie Bravo was using it with national/international success, I don't know where it came from exactly, but when I first heard it, it came synonymously with the name Nino Schembri. I've been training since 2001, several years before Eddie Bravo made a name for himself by tapping Royler. Don't make yourself out to be dumber than you already have.

Bravo himself credits Schembri for alot of his knowledge.

So i dont see what the fuss is bout

~Foz

I ,to, am afraid of change,

Keep out! Keep out!
r

Bravo himself credits Schembri for alot of his knowledge.

So i dont see what the fuss is bout

~Foz

Easier to get all worked up and let he fucking hate come to a boil when you conveniently forget stuff like that.
All you guys who get all angered over Bravo...do you still go around yelling at people how he's a dbag for claiming to invent the twister when it's an old wrestling move?

It's kinda weird, because I hear him giving props to people all the time, I hear him constantly talking about how important it is to master the half and butterfly guards as well as RG, etc.
Seems a lot of his detractors on here and elsewhere simply have selective deafness or some shit.

Back