Joe Louis and the Blackburn Crouch

Necro..

Suggestions on adjusting to a southpaw?

What I've come up with is using the shield arm ala Bernard Hopkins. Against a southpaw lead hook combining it with a bob or simply shoulder rolling. Concerned about the southpaw straight left though.

Necro..

Suggestions on adjusting to a southpaw?

What I've come up with is using the shield arm ala Bernard Hopkins. Against a southpaw lead hook combining it with a bob or simply shoulder rolling. Concerned about the southpaw straight left though.

adjust what to a southpaw?

Fighting a southpaw is not hugely different than fighting an orthodox fighter. Anyone who suggests otherwise doesn't actually know how to fight Southpaws.

This is a great thread. I can't wait to read all of it. I was lucky because my first real boxing trainer taught me this stance, and, no, there is no way you can really learn it on your own. There was a lot of correction by my trainer. It was not easy since there are so many detail. I did not get that far training with him.

I don't know where the photographer was, and in person I could show you exactly how the punch looks, because it is weird to modern eyes.

One of the most important factors is the external rotation of the lead leg, in this case, the left knee. The toes would point relative to wherever the opponent is. So envision this opponent was moving slightly away from Ray's right hand. Ray would correspondingly shift his lead foot so his toes faced the opponent's center, and likely shift a bit of weight to that foot (albeit so subtly the opponent wouldn't detect his head coming a bit closer). Prior to this all the weight would be on the back foot, so that right as that lead foot got into position and the weight started to move, he'd drop that back knee, turn his heel, and fire the right all at the same time. The external rotation of the lead knee provides an angle for the punch that allows a lot of defensive liability without needing the hands. He can do anything off of the punch. The lead foot moves, back foot corrects itself. His left hook is loaded (left hip), or he can push off that left foot and move back, he could shift back onto his right foot and throw another right, or either of the uppercuts. It looks odd to us because the follow-up movements are pre-loaded.

The external rotation of the front leg allows the punch to be two-hipped instead of one or the front leg is not stopping the power generated by the rear leg. I am not really understanding the benefits, defensively, other than the hand is on center line and the head is off center line.

Last edited:
Now I gotta find the context of that post...

Back