Joe Duffy vs Eddie Alvarez

McG isn't a LW, Eddie just beat RDA to get the belt.
I don't think McGregor is going back to 145, honestly and I'd rather see him fight at 155 where there are many new challenges. I also feel RDA wins the fight 7 out of 10 times. Alvarez looked great though for sure.

I believe Duffy is a future champion for sure. The way he just outclassed dustin on the feat was amazing. Shows what a semi-decent Pro boxer can do.
He outclassed Dustin on the feet? Watch the fight again...

He outclassed Dustin on the feet? Watch the fight again...
Yes he did. Dustin did well in the clinch. But otherwise Duffy beat him up. He smashed his nose. Dustin had to get surgery

Go a head give him a shot after a couple more fights. I think he could do some damage in that division. I still believe he could beat McG.

I'll touch back later on this...

I see Duffy as a top 5 guy once his take down defence and general wrestling catches up a bit with his stand up.

Am I the only person that thinks he could beat EA? I think there are 8-10 lightweights who could beat him pretty easily.
Joe Duffy has the takedown defense of a fighter from the 1990s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eddie could lose in that shark tank to just about anyone in the top five. The division is the toughest in MMA in my opinion and Alvarez is known to WAR too much and fight foolishly in the past, so I could see it.

That said, Eddie has apparently begun to plan more, fight intelligently with gameplans and be more defensive minded after his Cerrone loss.

None of this is a knock on Eddie. He's a warrior and I love the fact that he finally got a UFC title. He's been entertaining us for a decade or so with reckless abandon.

And no, I don't see Duffy beating him.

I hate when people just give the /thread type posts, but thats what we have here.

Well said.

I think Eddie could beat any of those guys on any given night and a few of them could give him problems.
Agree with this. El Cucuy is very hittable, so Eddie could outbox him and finish him or get a decision. Khabib doesn't have the best striking but his wrestling might be enough to neutralize Eddie's attack, that being said I'd still pick Eddie over him (mainly due to bias). McGregor would most likely get outwrestled. Alvarez would probably mix up his attack against Nate and would end up getting a decision, can't count Nate out though.

Barboza, Poirier and RDA are all pick'ems that are not likely to go the distance.

I think Eddie would wrestle him to a UD. It's his only advantage against Duffy but it's a big one.

Did those guys make other strikers look like NCAA champs?

Condit was taken down by Nick Diaz. Poirier's wrestling is legit by comparison. He's used it in the past to beat guys like Holloway and Jason Young as well.

I would say Khabib, Cucuy, McG, Barboza, Porier, Nate Cerrone and RDA. I'd pick all those guys over him. I do respect his game and enjoy his fights though.

Poirier, McG and Nate have little chance. Poirier is better at nothing.

Eddie would be a favorite over all but Maybe RDA in a rematch. RDA is best fighter in this group and Eddie already destroyed him in the first.

The lack of respect this dude gets is incredible. He is arguably the greatest LW of all time when looking at resumes.

Joe Duffy has no chance IMHO. Joe Duffy will also likely never earn a title shot, because he will have to beat too many monsters. Joe Duffy isn't even top ten.

I could possibly see it. Duffy has real skill everywhere, trains at an elite camp, and Eddie has looked less than impressive in three of his last four fights. We will not see a dominant champ at LW for a very long time. It is an absolute shark tank.

Poirier, McG and Nate have little chance. Poirier is better at nothing.

Eddie would be a favorite over all but Maybe RDA in a rematch. RDA is best fighter in this group and Eddie already destroyed him in the first.

The lack of respect this dude gets is incredible. He is arguably the greatest LW of all time when looking at resumes.
I personally don't see him as a favorite over Khabib, Cerrone, RDA or Cucuy. Nate, McG and Barboza are pick em' and Porier would be the underdog, but I like his chances.

I mean, Chandler and Cerrone beat him. He didn't look great against Melendez. He fought very safe against Pettis, and wasn't impressive in my opinion. He did a great job with RDA though for sure.

Back