Media Joaquin Buckley KO Stephen Thompson GIFS

That reminds me of the final punch Woodley landed in the 5th round of his rematch with WB

He looked great for two rounds
Great because he's a freak athlete but not like his old self. I watched back a lot of his old fights yesterday and tonight he was significantly slower and more stationary. Not able to move around like he used to and lost some of his speed. Still could handle a lot of guys at 170 but the question is should he? He's not going to get another title shot and unlikely to beat any legit contender, I think he's making enough money outside of fighting too so why keep going? He's only going to lose to more guys that he would have tooled in his prime and get some unnecessary CTE.

Great because he's a freak athlete but not like his old self. I watched back a lot of his old fights yesterday and tonight he was significantly slower and more stationary. Not able to move around like he used to and lost some of his speed. Still could handle a lot of guys at 170 but the question is should he? He's not going to get another title shot and unlikely to beat any legit contender, I think he's making enough money outside of fighting too so why keep going? He's only going to lose to more guys that he would have tooled in his prime and get some unnecessary CTE.
Oh I definitely think he should retire soon. Maybe have one last gimme fight.

Reminds me a little of the Pettis ko but reversed

Using the cage is a good way to get inside on WB & touch that chin

Buckley is a tough guy and took some good shots from Thompson . Thompson did well up until getting knocked out so it is premature to say he should retire based on this one fight . I would not mind seeing him retire but he certainly can continue to fight at a high level at 170 . Carlos Condit vs Thompson would have been a good fight .

Oh I definitely think he should retire soon. Maybe have one last gimme fight.
It sucks because this fight was winnable. Who would you say is a gimme fight? Ian Garry? Garry looked terrible on the feet against MVP and probably isn't good enough to grapplefuck Wonderboy. Also doesn't have explosive knockout power and unpredictability like Buckley.

It sucks because this fight was winnable. Who would you say is a gimme fight? Ian Garry? Garry looked terrible on the feet against MVP and probably isn't good enough to grapplefuck Wonderboy. Also doesn't have explosive knockout power and unpredictability like Buckley.
I think Garry might be too much for him TBH, but I rate him fairly highly.

Wonderboys retirement fight shouldn't be against a ranked contender. Maybe another long time veteran like the Leech, Chiesa or the winner of Luque/Diaz

Thompson is probably teetering on fun veteran type fights only for the rest of his career. He did enough to show he can at least have 1 more top 15 fight but if he gets wrecked again Dana will talk to him Im sure of that

Ive been a Buckley fan for his last few

I was liking the way he was wading in from the start, getting pass Wonderboys pot-shots to get his combos off

Senior citizen MMA fighter Thompson looking very scared to commit to a strike. He forgot how to counter-punch or counter-kick.
No kidding. The WB of 10 years ago would have utterly smacked him on those counters off the back foot. The skill is there, but the will isn't anymore.

Definitely looked like a shell of his former self. Younger WB would have lit up journeymen Buckley.

Back