• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Joanna Jedrzejczyk vs Jessica Penne

Karakal

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
First of all I want to get something off my chest.

People keep talking about Joanna being too skilled for Carla and she is so high up in that division and etc. She even mentioned during the interview that she was a better wrestler than Carla lol....

Carla's biggest weakness to Joanna was her size and reach disadvantage, that is the sole reason the fight was so lopsided. There are certain pysical attributes that gives a person the edge in MMA, regardless of one's skillset (to a degree). Carla was not less skilled than her previous opponents, so why was she easiest to defeat?

wpid-wp-1426343304107.png

Because of Joanna's last fight couch potatoes are all saying well Esparza beat Penne, then she was destroyed by Jedrzejczyk so it means this fight would even be easier. Too bad MMA is not this black and white.

852_el.jpg

Penne does not lack too much in the reach department, she is equipped with good standup and excelent Jiu Jitsu and I believe this fight will be alot more competitive.
Remember, majority of Jedrzejczyk's fights ended via decision, so she hasn't knocked out all her opponents sensless. That being said, she has an excelent standup with precise punches and a deadly right hand.

Jedrzejczyk may come out on the winning side if she manages to keep the fight standing, but don't look past Penne, and remember if the judges didn't fuck up, this fight would have been between Claudia vs Jessica.

I agree.

It's a guarantee this fight will be more competitive. Potentially not by a lot...but it will be. Penne wont relentlessly spam the most obvious of TDs if she goes for one. & if she gets it down, her chances highly increase.

Still have to take JoJed.

The sole reason JJ won was because of size and reach? Get outta here with that. She is a better fighter than Carla....quit making yet more excuses for the gal. She made enough excuses on her own at the post fight presser instead of giving props to JJ for being so much better and dominating her. JJ is a wrecking machine and she is just better.

I agree.

It's a guarantee this fight will be more competitive. Potentially not by a lot...but it will be. Penne wont relentlessly spam the most obvious of TDs if she goes for one. & if she gets it down, her chances highly increase.

Still have to take JoJed.

Yea it was obvious but she had no other choice, it was a missmatch. Joanna had much better standup and a massive reach difference, the only thing Carla could do was to go for a takedown before she got knocked out. Penne has a better standup than Carla and a better reach, she is also good in the clinch. There is a good chance of Penne winning via submission. I favor Joanna if it goes to decision or past rd 4.

I like this fight a lot and feel the card is pretty solid. Good to see Joanna Jędrzejczyk (feel like her name should be completely spelled at least once on here) is not waiting around to defend her title. I think she wins this but I don't think it will be an easy fight.

Crazy how 115 is already 10 times more interesting than 135.

Yea it was obvious but she had no other choice, it was a missmatch. Joanna had much better standup and a massive reach difference, the only thing Carla could do was to go for a takedown before she got knocked out. Penne has a better standup than Carla and a better reach, she is also good in the clinch. There is a good chance of Penne winning via submission. I favor Joanna if it goes to decision or past rd 4.

I wasn't expecting it tbh, Really though Joanna was gonna have problems. She proved me wrong so hard though and showed what a beast she really is.

I dont agree that the judges "fucked up" as you put it. It was a close fight but i agee with the decision. Jojwd got right back up every time ahe was taken down.

The sole reason JJ won was because of size and reach? Get outta here with that. She is a better fighter than Carla....quit making yet more excuses for the gal. She made enough excuses on her own at the post fight presser instead of giving props to JJ for being so much better and dominating her. JJ is a wrecking machine and she is just better.

I'm not a Carla fan, so I don't need to make excuses for her. You clearly only seen Joanna's last fight and you think you know it all too well. All her previous fights were more competitive even though they were girls who would get whooped by Carla (except for Claudia imo). Why was the x champion easier than everyone else?

Its not just Penne's overall ground game that is the biggest threat to Jedi, its Penne's length. She knows how to utilize her size in his ground work, and probably won't be afraid to get in close and pull guard to get the fight in her hands.

But, if Penne can't get it to the ground, she'll have to make use of her slight reach advantage, and just try to keep jedi at a distance with her jab and push kicks.

Jedi already showed that she has pretty good TDD against a big BW in Gadelha, that doesn't bode well for Penne. I think it'll be an exciting fight. I'm more interested in this than Gustaffson/Glover.

Its not just Penne's overall ground game that is the biggest threat to Jedi, its Penne's length. She knows how to utilize her size in his ground work, and probably won't be afraid to get in close and pull guard to get the fight in her hands.

But, if Penne can't get it to the ground, she'll have to make use of her slight reach advantage, and just try to keep jedi at a distance with her jab and push kicks.

Jedi already showed that she has pretty good TDD against a big BW in Gadelha, that doesn't bode well for Penne. I think it'll be an exciting fight. I'm more interested in this than Gustaffson/Glover.

Finally an educated guess

The only female fighter I've ever seen who actually takes her time and utilizes her striking to maintain distance and not just recklessly rush in is Holly Holm. Every women's fight there is at least one woman or both moving straight at each other. I have a feeling Penne is going to just move forward and take a beating in this fight.

I dont agree that the judges "fucked up" as you put it. It was a close fight but i agee with the decision. Jojwd got right back up every time ahe was taken down.

Yea I have to agree that my quote was my opinion. Getting back up after a take down doesn't win you the fight, octagon control, take downs and strikes do. I couln't locate the chart showing strikes/takedowns/control ratio but if anyone else knows where it is, please post it.

I'm not a Carla fan, so I don't need to make excuses for her. You clearly only seen Joanna's last fight and you think you know it all too well. All her previous fights were more competitive even though they were girls who would get whooped by Carla (except for Claudia imo). Why was the x champion easier than everyone else?

Like you said yourself, MMA is not black and white, styles make fights.
Jędrzejczyk has superior striking to all the women Esparza has fought. Carla's entire game plan rested upon Jędrzejczyk having weak grappling defence, although for spending the majority of her career as a striker her grappling before the Carla bout was not terribly sloppy. Her grappling defence was enough to exhaust Lima and Gadelh, however, there were moments in the bout were if the opponent fresh a submission could have sunk in. A weakness a flexible black belt could expose?

Crazy how 115 is already 10 times more interesting than 135.

Respecfully disagree, 135 had amazing fights and future is looking bright for that division also. That being said, 115 is looking more competitive in terms of skilled fighters where 135 has amazing fighters + people like Duke and Moras and etc..

The only female fighter I've ever seen who actually takes her time and utilizes her striking to maintain distance and not just recklessly rush in is Holly Holm. Every women's fight there is at least one woman or both moving straight at each other. I have a feeling Penne is going to just move forward and take a beating in this fight.

Very interesting that you mention that.

In Penne's fight with Randa she fell victim to this. She'll definitely have to avoid doing that vs JoJed.

Respecfully disagree, 135 had amazing fights and future is looking bright for that division also. That being said, 115 is looking more competitive in terms of skilled fighters where 135 has amazing fighters + people like Duke and Moras and etc..

AQ0oE.gif

Trolling...?

Didn't Jedi do a pretty good job at maintaining her patience against Esparza? I can't remember off the top of my head, the biggest memory I have is Jedi tagging her with a jab, cross, allowing Esparza to try and circle, and then continuing to pick apart Esparza until the final flurry where she sensed that Carla was hurt, and swarmed.

I have a somewhat similar feeling in regards to Penne strategy. I feel like she might try and maintain that distance, get Jedi close to the fence, and try to take it to the ground. But after the first couple combos by Jedi, Penne's game plan will go out the window.

I'm just hoping for another exciting WSW fight. The division could use some more exposure. I wish it was on something like a Fox card as opposed to a FightPass card, especially with a champ like Jedi.

tumblr_inline_mi575oLrLE1qz4rgp.gif

135 pounds is the heavyweight division of WMMA, completely dominated by Ronda Rousey.

AQ0oE.gif

Trolling...?

Ronda Rousey, Miesha Tate, Sarah Kaufman, Sara Mcmann, Holly Holm, Amanda Nunes, Alexis Davis, Jessica Eye are all talented fighters

Germaine de Randamie has a great standup, Julianna Penna is a rising star along with Marion Reneau, Larissa Pachecho had 2 bad attemps but is young and hungry. Andrade is racking up wins for the most part regardless of her size disadvantage. Leslie Smith and Raquel Pennington is exciting fighters. Irene Aldana is one dominant fight away from joining the UFC along with Pannie Kianzad. Think what you will but I am definitely excited for 135'ers :)

Back