Jiu-Jitsu

Doherty45

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I am starting Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu training in a few weeks and I am not sure what to expect. I have no prior martial arts experience and never wrestled in H.S., I played football in H.S and College (Linebacker) as well as a bunch of other sports (Lacrosse, Hockey), so I am pretty athletic. But what I am really wondering is, how does a normal BJJ session go? For example if i were to describe a normal football practice for a Linebacker I would say:

1. Stretching/Warmups
2. Position Training (Form Tackling, Followed by some type of gameplaning, followed by some full contact drills)
3. Possibly some 7 on 7 passing (QB, RB, FB, TE, Recievers vs. LBs, CBs, Safetys) or some 8 on 8 (QB, FB, RB, Oline vs. DLine, LBs) running drills.
4. Scrimmage offense vs. defense (amount of contact varies from limited to full)
5. Possibly Special Teams Work
6. Conditioning in the form of sprints (25 yds, 50 yds or 100 yds and back), long distance running or circuit training.
7. Team gathering with head coach and then positional gatherings with LB coach.

Could anyone breakdown a typical jiu-jitsu session like this? I am wondering how tough its going to be and what shape I am going to need to be in to survive.

At first you'll be learning technique and rolling around causally, just go and have fun.
You'll learn basic positioning, you'll train getting in and out of those positions, as well as holding them, and you'll 'roll for position' without subs. You'll practice specific subs. You'll probably start off on the knees or with one of you in guard when you are rolling (not drilling).

The specifics, like what you listed, will probably vary greatly depending on where you train. Don't worry about being good at first, just learn stuff.

Thanks a lot man.

So usually there is no conditioning in BJJ? Like they dont have you do stuff at the end of practice simply to help you get in shape? I guess that would make some sense considering I am paying to be there and its not like your training to go against another team.

It's kinda funny. I'm in the same boat. I'll be starting at Showtime Jiu Jitsu in a couple of weeks.

My only previous experience with training in BJJ was at a seminar with Marcus Vinicius, Fabiano Iha Jr., and Wallid Ismail. Marcus runs Beverly Hills Jiu Jitsu and I had heard about how big he was on conditioning.....it was brutal. I was working muscles that I didn't know I had. It's going to work my Core like crazy.

Doherty45 said:
Thanks a lot man.

So usually there is no conditioning in BJJ? Like they dont have you do stuff at the end of practice simply to help you get in shape? I guess that would make some sense considering I am paying to be there and its not like your training to go against another team.

Some do. For example the place I train at we do certain drills at the beginning of the class. There are some days where our instructor will give us a killer cardio workout in the beginning of the class.

Just remember when you go to the class make sure you leave your ego at the door. Don't try to go in there and go all wild. Everyone hates that and they always expect it from a new person. Just go an learn and most importantly be patient. You will be very frustrated the first 3 to 6 months. But it will get better from there if you consistently keep on going to class.

Wolverine
///

As far as ego goes I am expecting to be tapped out by everyone in the room at least once before I figure out the sport. I am just worried about my conditioning. Can anyone compare it to another sport they have competed in?

Doherty45 said:
As far as ego goes I am expecting to be tapped out by everyone in the room at least once before I figure out the sport. I am just worried about my conditioning. Can anyone compare it to another sport they have competed in?

might seem obvious...but wrestling? if your playing football you probably already have decent conditioning and you shouldnt worry too much about it, but grappling definitely takes a different sort of conditioning than other sports. youll get used to it

edit: if you want to work your conditioning before your class, might i suggest doing some weighted cardio type stuff? sandbag conditioning seems to have a big carryover, the same for sledgehammer stuff

good luck, i hope you have fun.

For conditioning, other than the obvious of rolling A LOT, is burpee workouts. I do 30 sec burpee, 30 sec skip rope, 30 sec burpee, 30 sec skip rope for a round then take 45 second break. I do this these 2 minute rounds 6 times with 45 second breaks. I reccomend throwing these in when you can. I have been doing it about 3 days a week as a little extra cardio and they have helped me a lot. In fact, I started at 4x2 min round with 1 min break and now I'm at the 6x2 min with 45 second break.

Another factor I notced is that new guys, myself included, will get a much harder workout becasue when they are rolling they are not relaxed they are tensing every muscle in thier body causeing them to get winded way faster then someone with an equal amount of conditioning. So stay relaxed and stay humble.

Most BJJ classes are pretty laid back but heres how most of the classes at different places I've been to have been like.

Warmup
Conditioning
Positions
Drills
Rolling

If your a beginner your going to be doing less rolling and more positions. Also if you have good training partners they are going to purposly give you openings to try what you've learned.

LCDforMe said:
For conditioning, other than the obvious of rolling A LOT, is burpee workouts. I do 30 sec burpee, 30 sec skip rope, 30 sec burpee, 30 sec skip rope for a round then take 45 second break. I do this these 2 minute rounds 6 times with 45 second breaks. I reccomend throwing these in when you can. I have been doing it about 3 days a week as a little extra cardio and they have helped me a lot. In fact, I started at 4x2 min round with 1 min break and now I'm at the 6x2 min with 45 second break.

Do you roll like that every night, with that set up ?

What's the point?

That's not rolling, that's conditioning. The point of conditioning...is to...get...more...conditioned?

the biggest thing that will help you go far is relaxing. when you start to spar in class don't try to muscle through anything, just try to learn the technique and flow of the game. don't worry about the concepts of winning or losing, focus on movement and improving yours.

Oh I read it wrong, I thought you were saying you were rolling non-stop for 4x2 minute rounds.

Thanks a lot to everyone that replied, I think I have a better idea of what to expect now. As far as the "postions" go, is this like getting walked through the different techniques? And what is the drilling? Thanks again in advance.

Before I started training in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, I ran three times a week on the ellipitical for a month. That seemed to get me ready to face the intense workouts. However, I was the worst conditioned person at the places I train at for a long time. Now eight months later I consider myself average. The point is that early conditioning was good enough that I didn't quit.

Here is the routine we normally do:

1. Stretching/Warmups.
2. Learn three or four new techniques.
3. Grapple live (rolling) for about half an hour to an hour or more.

That seems to be the schedule at every place I have trained... like 7+ different places! Sometimes we will do drills before learning the new techniques, in fact occasionally we will forgo steps 2 and 3 and just drill all day! But many people don't like those "boring" things.

P.S. I didn't start out preparing for BJJ. In fact, I initially intended just to run to lose weight. In retrospect it is lucky that I learned that grappling existed or I would probably have failed that nth attempt to get in shape...

Back