Jiu-Jitsu and Brazilian JJ

GracieStudent

Orange Belt
Reaction score
my mom, brother, sister and mom's boyfriend all do JJ. i do bjj. i tried to explain to my mom what i do (she's not interested) and i asked her about her JJ. she says she's like an orange belt or something, i'm like ok, we don't have that belt. from what i gather they're doing a lot of throws and takedown and gay ass karate stuff (sorry karate guys). she's not really that articulate and when i try to explain our style she takes it as 'my style is better than yours' kinda way. feels like that anyway. that's neither here nor there. what's the diff btw the 2 styles guys? thanks

Her style has many more standing joint locks and stufflike that if it is old school jujitsu, lots of wristlocks, there is ground work but it is not emphasized as much as BJJ.

Jiu-Jitsu originally comes from Japan and obviously BJJ comes form Brazil. When I roll with the JJ peopel they tend to use techniques which I call pain compliance or muscle moves which can require strenght. The BJJ guys tend ot use technique over the other two. Additionally JJ style tends to have more "Karate" techniques in it where BJJ is almost all about the ground. I know there are other differnces but maybe that will help.

so when she, ya know sparrs or whatever she don't roll like we do tho right? i just can't see it

GracieStudent said:
my mom, brother, sister and mom's boyfriend all do JJ. i do bjj. i tried to explain to my mom what i do (she's not interested) and i asked her about her JJ. she says she's like an orange belt or something, i'm like ok, we don't have that belt. from what i gather they're doing a lot of throws and takedown and gay ass karate stuff (sorry karate guys). she's not really that articulate and when i try to explain our style she takes it as 'my style is better than yours' kinda way. feels like that anyway. that's neither here nor there. what's the diff btw the 2 styles guys? thanks

Some obvious observations and comments that I can't help but mention:
1) If so many people that are close to you do JJ, why don't you just go to their school once or twice and watch? Better yet, why not just take a few classes and find out?
2) Sounds like you need some help in the family communication department. If your mom is neither interested nor articulate enough to answer your question, why can't you ask your sister, brother, or mom's boyfriend?

regular jiu jitsu is an all around martial art its the best and most realistic way to defend yourself in the street, its a 100x better then kung fu, karate, tkd, or any of those kinds of martial arts

good questions. and i'll say this. not to get personal but my mom lives in a different country so i don't see her much. nor do i see the siblings.

i just recently started training bjj so the window hasn't been that broad to really communicate with them. other than that i can say that i really didn't know the 'real' diff btw the 2 styles and thought i would ask my fellow warriors on sherdog.

-- anyone know how they roll? do they roll as hard as bjj you think? like i said i can't see it

Regular JJ is not that different from BJJ (I have trained in both). In TJJ there is more emphasis on standing throws, self defense and spiritual development, but mostly the same techniques.

Great link! That should be a must read before anyone is allowed to post here.

nice. guess i'll be roughin my brother up real nice real soon. maybe i should roll with my mom's boyfriend too? naw, i wouldn't want to embarrass him in front of my ma. jk, he's looks mad tough

I don't know if it's the school I went to, but I wasn't impressed. I checked out one lesson when I was about 16. Everyone there was a blackbelt, except me. We started of using the Bo staff, and they all thought I was awesome, because I'd done a bit of firetwirling (having a hippy sister makes you a Bo master apparently), you know all that practical, spin around the back stuff you use in those Bo fights you get in.
Then we practised some blocks, and a female black belt chastised me, cos she couldn't use the block, I wasn't punching properly. I was throwing a normal right cross, but I should have been stepping with the same leg as the arm I was punching with. What was I thinking?
The we did some ground work. The coach called it some bizarre name, can't remember what it was, "floor combat" or some crap.
I rolled (before I knew what rolling meant though) with this big fat black belt, and proceeded to put him on his back, and sit in scarf-hold until he gave up. Then rolled with another guy and did the same thing. The instructor said that was it for the day, and we meditated for a few minutes (I was a pretty hyperactive kid, this was the hardest part for me), then I left, never to return.
My MA experience before this was a couple of years of judo when I was around 5 or 6.
Like I said, I'm not paying out on Ju Jitsu, just this class, that they ran at the local scout hall. For all I know, most schools might spar Vale Tudo style 100% every night.

GracieStudent said:

I wonder why she takes it that way...

You are basically saying they are doing a bunch of "gay karate stuff." Not everyone wants to roll around on the floor for 2 hours. To each his own. As stated earlier, go check out the JJ school if you want to know what it is. Chances are, you found what you wanted already in BJJ.

My BJJ club shares a building with a traditional jujutsu/aikido school. I have to walk walk thru their dojo to get to mine, so I see them practicing all the time.

They are always doing either breakfalls on their own, or paired-up doing standing wrist/arm locks that take the opponent down in very slow motion. They tap out from moves that would cause little pain & no risk of serious injury, I guess its just a different mentality. I have never seen them do any sort of technique that I feel would work without a complying opponent. I have never seen them do any type of sparring except with wooden swords. They all kneel down & meditate at the end & take turns walking up to the front to hit a gong. I think they have candles lit too.

The students are typically women ages 20-40 & soccer dad type men, nobody really athletic looking. None of them have ever come to our side to watch, they are more than likely intimidated. While most of this forum (including me) would find it useless, I think it's great for people who want that sort of training. Not everyone wants to train hardcore submissions, certainly not most women.

discussion is weak. lost interest in thread. This is actually a good topic that was discussed previously.

her style is more effective on people or are letting you do it to them.. Bjj is better for guys who are actualy fighting back..

everyone answered the real question.. i just like my basic stereo typical answer better!

If you dont know take downs just tackle the person, or kick them in the nuts.

Having done both, jiujitsu is some judo throws and ridiculously overly complicated techniques that aren't likely to work against someone actually trying to beat the shit out of you and there is virtually no sparring involved while BJJ is throws, jointlocks and positional control with lots of sparring involved. If you like chops to the side of the neck and clapping people around the ear, traditional JJ is the way. There are some progressive TJJ places around but they are not common.

I have never seen them do any type of sparring except with wooden swords. They all kneel down & meditate at the end & take turns walking up to the front to hit a gong. I think they have candles lit too.
Made my morning right there.

Back