• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Can Jiri Prochazca win the rematch?

he was doing very well in the first fight (free now on ufc youtube) caught alex with some good shot multiple times

just messed up and got caught + early stoppage.

he has a very real chance here.

Would love to see the upset. but i have a hard time seeing a striker in the history of lhw beating poatan beyond Rumble and maybe the Iceman/Rampage.
Pereira Machida could've been interesting or maybe a total snoozer

People forget how competitive it was. Jiri touched him a lot times

This is a fight that went less than 2 rounds, so we don't have a lot of film.

I would not describe what we saw as Jiri touching him a lot of times. He scored very little and couldn't get anything done on the ground. Jiri's leg was beaten to shit for his troubles. He resorted to doing his wild-man routine that wins him most fights, where he is willing to get hit to land his own shot.

He was promptly knocked down, then TKO'd after that.

This is a fight that went less than 2 rounds, so we don't have a lot of film.

I would not describe what we saw as Jiri touching him a lot of times. He scored very little and couldn't get anything done on the ground. Jiri's leg was beaten to shit for his troubles. He resorted to doing his wild-man routine that wins him most fights, where he is willing to get hit to land his own shot.

He was promptly knocked down, then TKO'd after that.
This was not a one sided fight at all. It was very back and forth.

This was not a one sided fight at all. It was very back and forth.

Round 1 Jiri gets - literally - kicked to the ground in 50 seconds. By the middle of the round his leg is swollen and bruised and he's not sure footed. He resorts to wrestling (smart) but gets exactly zero done on the ground. He can't work a submission, he can't progress position, he's not landing any shots. Alex gets up and escapes, the round ends.

I would say Round 1 Jiri was in serious danger and wisely resorted to grappling, but we get a view of both of these guys fresh on the mat and Jiri can't even hold him down, let alone win the fight there.

Round 2 some more pretty nasty leg kicks, Jiri is switching stances. He starts getting a little wild and lands a few shots, but he's not able to even stun Alex, let alone hurt him in a meaningful way. He has to put himself in danger to get in those exchanges, and sure enough the third time he goes for a his wild guy flurry, he gets dropped like a sack of potatoes.

This wasn't a particularly competitive fight and I very much enjoy watching Jiri. He's about as entertaining as MMA fights get, but he can't do his typical style of 'take your punch to land my own' against a hitter like Poatan. That fights ends in Jiri getting knocked out every time.

Now? With zero training camp, coming off a broken toe, straight up off the couch? Jiri should win this. Wrestling a striker who has zero cardio preparation for a 5 round fight is a whole different animal. Alex is nuts for taking this fight.

So I watched the fight and looked at the betting lines. Jiri doesn't really look like a bad bet at +136. If the fight wasn't competitive in the eyes of bettors I think Alex would be a bigger favorite. Jiri had success winning the first round and was on his way to winning the 2nd until he got reckless.

Reactions: HHJ
He gotta land something when Poatan is against the cage. He was doing that,but he gotta land THE shot there. I just dont think he can break Poatan down and make him panic the way he beats other guys. So its basically the most difficult opponent hes ever faced. He can back him up but he cant make him panic and start running away.

At least so far thats how it looks.

Rewatching the fight right now. He needs to be more cautious with Poatan's low kicks. He was eating them up even against Rakic.

P.S.
Poatan has a rustic chin too but that kind of goes without saying.

Of course he can win. I actually see him as a slight favorite this time around.

55/45 Jiri

In the final exchange he got a little carried away. I know what you mean but..I think he can do it.
I feel that, I just can’t remember too many fights in the ufc where Jiri wasn’t taking one to give one. Glover, and Reyes landed pretty well on him and definitely had him rocked. Idr if volkan rocked jiri but he definitely landed a bunch on him as well. I will say, though Jiri landed some very solid punches on Alex before he was stopped a lil early.

The problem is, Jiri usually doesn’t mind getting hit. He has a crazy ability to just recover from being put on skates immediately and fire back. He relied on this for a long time, but must avoid it against Alex at all costs. Like HHJ said, he must fight sharp and do no mistakes, which will be hard. Once the exchanges start he will constantly have to fight the urge to go back into “Standard Jiri mode”. He is his own worst enemy sometimes.
That said, Jiri ko round 2. Fingers crossed.

yeah but Jiri has a pocket full of x factors

or "crazy shit" as I like to call it

If they had to fight in a dark room for 3 days with no food, jiri would walk out alive every time.

Easier said than done to check those kicks which have basically no tell. Izzy had trouble doing it. Hill couldn't really do it..

It is better to just slide away, which jiri was doing a better job of in round 2 as the speed of poatan's kicks started to slow

Last edited:
I just rewatched the first bout. No fucking clue as to why we need a rematch. Why isn’t Alex fighting uncleaev?
because Ankalaev doesn't want a title shot outside of Abu Dhabi, probably because he can roid or not make weight there.

Jiri/Poatan winner should 100% avoid Ankalaev in Abu Dhabi and force him to fight in the US, UK, Australia, France, Brazil, China or Canada.

Not saying Jiri WILL win but he has a descent shot if he can adjust his defence and measure his offence better.

Just watched the first fight and Jiri was winning the stand up even hurting Poatan before getting completely defensively careless. Nobody does that against a supremely technical powerstriker like Poatan and gets away with it.

And that's the problem with Jiri, he seems to use his warrior mindset to much instead being more calculating. When it works it looks amazing but when it doesn't it looks amateurish.

Back