• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Can Jiri Prochazca win the rematch?

I just rewatched the first bout. No fucking clue as to why we need a rematch. Why isn’t Alex fighting uncleaev?

jiris biggest issue in the fight was the leg kicks in his orthodox stance, when he switched to southpaw the leg kicks were not as effectice, but jiri was not comfortable enough in that stance. If jiri can become more comfortable in southpaw, that could definitely be a factor in avoiding the leg kicks, along with learning how to check them.
I love Jiri, as a matter of fact I will throw money on him for this fight. I agree he can win, but he has to take greater risks in order to land clean on Alex and KO him. I'm nervous and I'm going to be on my feet for this!

Would love to see the upset. but i have a hard time seeing a striker in the history of lhw beating poatan beyond Rumble and maybe the Iceman/Rampage on a good night.

Last edited:
He needs to go full berserker mode like he did against Rakic. It may get him knocked out again, but it's his best chance to land a shot to put Pereira down.

He needs to go full berserker mode like he did against Rakic. It may get him knocked out again, but it's his best chance to land a shot to put Pereira down.
He gotta land something when Poatan is against the cage. He was doing that,but he gotta land THE shot there. I just dont think he can break Poatan down and make him panic the way he beats other guys. So its basically the most difficult opponent hes ever faced. He can back him up but he cant make him panic and start running away.

At least so far thats how it looks.

Hill stopped most of it by just not giving Alex the leg. Alex couldn't get his leg kick game going. Alex can't really throw the rear leg calf kick to a southpaw opponent. Hill also tried to step to the outside of Alex's lead leg so only Hill could kick with his own lead leg while Alex was out of position. Try to find the Hill fight online. I am pretty sure Hill landed more leg kicks to Alex. Hill's team really came up with a game plan for Alex's leg kicks.
I just re-watched it. Yeah you're right, he was finding success with what you said. However, that game plan only worked so well cause Jamahal is a natural south paw. I can't see Jiri being able to pull off something like that without being a natural south paw himself, which he isn't.

Alex was out of commission with a broken toe and has been traveling the world making appearances.

He's taking this fight with zero preparation. Forget a camp, he's not even in regular training. He has to fly across the world from Australia and somehow make this weight cut, then walk into the cage.

This is 100% Jiri's best opportunity to beat Alex. Everything is working against Alex here and he is brave but arguably a fool for taking this booking.

He gotta land something when Poatan is against the cage. He was doing that,but he gotta land THE shot there. I just dont think he can break Poatan down and make him panic the way he beats other guys. So its basically the most difficult opponent hes ever faced. He can back him up but he cant make him panic and start running away.

At least so far thats how it looks.

I agree. He's gotta wade through the fire to get there, but he's got the power to KO anybody if he lands.

I love both these guys. Watching them fight each other is bittersweet. A jiri win would almost guarantee an immediate 3rd fight yeah?

Bad stylistic match-up for Jiri, I like both and it sucks that one guy has to lose although maybe they'll put on an epic 5 round draw. Odds are only +140/-160 which seems like value on Pereira tbh.

I think Jiri's best shot is to pressure him early and catch him with something unorthodox before Alex starts to get a good read on him. Jiri said he needs to be more patient but you can't do that for too long against a striker like Pereira. I could see a fight where Jiri catches Alex with something unexpected especially early but the longer the fight goes on the more it favors Pereira imo.

So... both guys keep a respectful distance trying to land stuff from the outside.

When Jiri commits to a charge he throws some dangerous shit that forces Poatan to back up. The problem is when Jiri comes forward inch by inch instead of full on charge, or just stops and stands in front of Poatan he gets kicked in the leg. He has to stay outside or get all the way inside. In the middle Poatan chews the leg up. When he stumbles Jiri with it he tries to see if he can sneak that left hand in there.

Jiri feinting for the takedown is good as it keeps Poatan guessing about whats coming.

As time goes by Jiri gets more confident to get close and Poatan is backing up more and more...thats when he decides to shoot for a single, and eventually gets it. Jiri had a great oppurtunity to finish here. Yes Poatan was defending well but Jiri should have committed to an all out assault. He also was a bit passive in letting Poatan to return to his feet.

He didnt seem to want to clinch with Poatan though. He backed out as soon as it ended up there, but then charges right back at him. He doesnt seem to want to clinch though. Jiri keeps on bullrushing Poatan backing him to the fence and the round ends.

Second rd, Poatan starts letting his hands go more. Trying to take control of the octagon, trying to take back the center and not get backed up. Jiri using crazy feints to get it back. It works and he has Poatan backing up again. Leaping push kick pushes Poatan into the cage. Jiri busier with the kicks is helping to keep Poatan against the fence. Poatan trying to regain the center again. Starts throwing kicks back. Not just leg kicks but to the body. Both guys seem to have success with their kicks. Poatan throws and Jiri counters (situations like this could be good for Jiri in this next fight) Jiri lands a big right and backs poatan into the cage where Jiri rushes him, Jiri teeing off. Not all of them are landing 100 but he is all over Poatan.

They clinch up and he tries to throw an elbow but Poatan disengages. Jiri tries to lure poatan to the center with "come on" gesture...but Poatan uses the distance to start firing off kicks when Jiri doesnt engage. Jiri starts switching stances, cos he felt those kicks. Poatan hits him as Jiri clinches. Poatan defending well to not let Jiri do some spinny shit. Jiri throws him off. Poatan immediatley takes the center. They trade hard leg kicks. Jiri lands a hard right on Poatan who backs up and really Jiri just got too over confident here. He needed to be throwing combinations and not just throwing one shot here or there. His punches were landing but Poatan was OK and landed a counter left which put him down.

So my advice would be

1) throw more combinations

2) commit to an all out assault if it goes to the ground

3) Get better at dealing damage in the clinch

4) When in close, this is the death zone, you cant ponder and throw a punch and another punch, you have to string them together to commit to total violence. He gave Poatan too many openings thinking he was more hurt than he was. Poatan is better at dealing with this chaos than others.

5) More takedown attempts would be good. He seemed to abandon the idea when Poatan got up.

Although Poatan was somewhat flustered by Jiri at times he didnt mentally unravel. I would be curious to see how he would do if this went all 5 rounds.

Back