• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Jiri is a LHW version of prime Tony

I feel like there's a lot more logic and thought that goes into Jiri's game, where as Tony's was a lot more crazy and dependent on insane durability and toughness. They are both switch stance fighters and unorthodox though, so I guess at the basic level they do have similarities.

Last edited:
I can see it. Everybody seems to dismiss Tony but going to absolute war with Dominick Reyes, Volkan Ozdemir and Alexander Rakic doesn’t feel like cleaner wins than Ferguson drowning Pettis, Kevin Lee and Barboza.

Both men use slightly different tools but they approach the fights the same. Ferguson had an extremely effective jab and both men are absolute buzz saws when close despite being a bit slow for their divisions they both pressure themselves into danger but come out on top due to durability and ability to deal damage at all ranges.

Tony relied on his chin, height, reach and some illegal punches/kicks.

Jiri is more technical and has been knocked out.

Overall: naaaa don't see it, just both having bad defense.
True, but it's hard to compare different weight classes. I doubt Tony could go that many years without being KO'd at LHW or HW with the way he eats shots.

I kind of get the comparison, but there are some obvious differences. Neither are great strikers technically, but Tony relied on chin/cardio to turn into a zombie in later rounds and finish opponents. Jiri just goes head hunting, either with punches or other unorthodox strikes. Look at his last fight.

Keith Jardine with a better chin and a little more power also comes to mind. He was probably more well-rounded than Jiri, though, especially since his prime was 15 years ago. Decent/unorthodox striking, good leg kicks, underrated ground game, a mean streak...but that chin, though. Total Achilles Heel.

DDP also comes to mind.

I think yall are forgetting how good prime Tony was.....I'm not even confident about Jiri being a lock for top 3 in his weight class right now. Prime Tony is probably top 10 lws ever maybe even 5 for some. Jiri doesn't slide into the top 25 205lbers ever.....
Tony is a weird one, Despite winning several fights in a row he had many close calls and moments of concern. I was never someone who put TOO much stake into him, his wins against barboza, cerrone and RDA are his best. not sure where to rank......

Benson
RDA
Pettis
Diaz
Alverez
Gaethje
Porier
Khabib
Melendez
Chandler

sure I'd put tony over many if any of these. maybe 2 or 3 of them. I'd have to really think about it though.

I actually think it's a great comparison.

Their styles are very similar: constantly applying pressure while throwing unconventional strikes; willing to take damage in order to wear down their opponents; and ultimately win wars of attrition. Obviously, Jiri relies a bit more on power, and Tony had the better ground game. But fundamentally, it's a great comparison. And they're both weirdos outside the cage.

Tony is a weird one, Despite winning several fights in a row he had many close calls and moments of concern. I was never someone who put TOO much stake into him, his wins against barboza, cerrone and RDA are his best. not sure where to rank......

Benson
RDA
Pettis
Diaz
Alverez
Gaethje
Porier
Khabib
Melendez
Chandler

sure I'd put tony over many if any of these. maybe 2 or 3 of them. I'd have to really think about it though.
he's definetely better than Nate and Justin. Neither of those two were 1 and 2 in the division at any point in time. Chandler's a weird one too, his bellator history is impressive but then again its bellator. The rest are arguable imo. Khabib, Penn, Oliveira, Islam, Sherk, and maybe Edgar would the ones that I think where odds are disproportionately not in his favor.

Crane body kicks, snap kicks, elbows, spinning elbows, comeback finishes, insane face first pressure and cardio.

I said this way back years ago on one of these Sherdog threads.

Prime Tony never got hurt. Jiri gets rocked every round.

I know Jiri gets rocked a lot but I actually think he has a really good chin, he takes bombs at LHW while being completely out of position and staying on his feet most of the time.

I'm not even confident about Jiri being a lock for top 3 in his weight class right now.

27592.jpg

Not really, the only similarity is they're both insane.

Jiri fights like he is insane while Tony is legit fucking insane.

Tony seems legitimately out of touch with reality at times, unlike Jiri. Jiri seems more grounded, but they fight very similarly and it's their crazy mindset that allows for that. Neither are following conventional methods, they make up their own shit and simply don't care.

Most guys aren't coming back from behind in Jiri's last fight and coast to a UD loss. If all this crazy shit helps him do that then kudos.

Reactions: HHJ
They both fight using weird unorthodox styles, and they're both more often than not losing whatever fight they are in before eventually catching their opponent and getting the finish. Other than that, I don't see many similarities.

Back