• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Jessica Eye parts ways with Strong Style ahead of potential UFC title shot

Seems like a bad move to leave the team that got you to the top. Hendricks did the same thing, didn't work very well.
While it does seem ungrateful, I can't help but chuckle at Eye getting gifted a title shot with 2/3 split decision wins as her team "getting her to the top".

I doubt it'll amount to much besides a placeholder defense for Val while they wait for the division to fill out some more.

lol, in some ways its probably good. they have no boxing coach to speak of, that al guy is a joke and all strong style fighters have the same defensive deficiencies. its why theyve all been rocked or dropped over their lead hand (garbrandt and stipe being the two main examples). also i dont think she had any good sparring partners in house except for some guys.

but at the same time, i dont see this improving her game much at all. she doesnt come off as a fighter with a high ceiling.

Garbrandt isn't from Strong Style. And who is Al? If you mean Iaquinta, he also isn't from Strong Style.

Was that team takedown he left?

Where Skelly trains, maybe?

iirc they had some strange pay contract with their guys

Yep, I think once he was the champion he left team takedown and Mike Dolce and has looked bad since. I don't think he needed Dolce's advice so much as he needed him(or someone like him) to baby sit him so he wouldn't eat like shit.

While it does seem ungrateful, I can't help but chuckle at Eye getting gifted a title shot with 2/3 split decision wins as her team "getting her to the top".

I doubt it'll amount to much besides a placeholder defense for Val while they wait for the division to fill out some more.

If you aren't the belt holder the best thing you can get is a title shot. It's not a good idea to leave the team that got you there.

jesus fucking christ.

So after all Valentina's bullshit about people not defending their belts, and saying shes goimg to be an active champion, now shes not ready to fight till June..

In May 2018, five months after Montano won the belt Valentina was calling for Nicco to be stripped...

If she cant fight till June maybe Eye should call for Shev to be stripped

Who said she isn't fighting until June.

lol, in some ways its probably good. they have no boxing coach to speak of, that al guy is a joke and all strong style fighters have the same defensive deficiencies. its why theyve all been rocked or dropped over their lead hand (garbrandt and stipe being the two main examples). also i dont think she had any good sparring partners in house except for some guys.

but at the same time, i dont see this improving her game much at all. she doesnt come off as a fighter with a high ceiling.

Lol it would be one thing if she was joining a new gym like Wittman or Aka or fucking whatever. Opening her own gym that's not going to improve her at all.

Btw yes Strong Style does have a boxing coach.

I think Jessica losses

Valentina should get some s#it for taking so long to defend title after all she said about Nicco

seems that if Jessica pulls off the win, she gets to take full credit-not Strong Style Gym
(possible like when Chookagian put up that lackluster performance, although I think Kaitlyn deserved the decision)

thats fine, when Montano was injured Valentina called for her to be stripped less than 6 months after winning the belt.
a lot of talking tbh, I don't like her, but kinda was ok with her as champion, because I thought it will be active champion:
1. talking crap about Nunes, and how she will fight her like "last fight of her life", then doing nothing during fight...
2. calling out Jedrzejczyk from class below, then talking : "let's give good show, striking etc." and winning basicly by overpowering and takedowns
3. after fight talking crap about lazy champions, then taking at least 6 month break ...

I'm not even hater at this point...don't really care tbh. She is not too bright girl.

Jessica Eye parts ways with Strong Style
NegativeSleepyFinnishspitz-size_restricted.gif

She will still clearly get beaten by Valentina, but why not look less-terrible whilst it happens..

Gotta love that stellar 4-5 record fighting for a belt. Top notch indeed...

The fact that Jessica Eye is even in the discussion of a title shot tells you everything about WMMA.

She's what, two years removed from a 1-5 UFC record? Then she wins three split decisions against mediocre fighters and she's a title contender.

Edit: My mistake. Her first SD win over a now 0-3 UFC fighter since her losing streak was in Jan 2018. So she's only a year removed from her 1-5 record.

Last edited:
Back