JDS was unable to listen to his corner. Why?

Spath

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Dos Santos kept his hands low throughout the fight. His corner told him after every round to keep his hands up and then he stood up and ate punches with his hands down. Why do you think that happened? I always thought that Junior has great team around him and he really listens to them and does what they ask him to do. He didn't.

JDS himself said that he was afraid of takedowns, but was it all about that? It looked like Cain dove for single legs most of the time. He didn't need his hands to stay away from single leg takedowns, he needed movement. Cain failed a lot of those single legs, so he was defending them OK... Is Junior's boxing defense lacking so much? He didn't even try to block the shots with his hands, he managed to dodge few even when he was doing his best "stanky leg" imitation of Rashad.

If you are standing next to the fence, why not block some shots instead of eating them? I think his cornermen were disappointed even though JDS showed he has a heart of a lion and survived the whole 5 long rounds. The man has a warriors heart.

122912velasquez3-jpeg_071738.jpg

What do you think?

I think he ate punches often because he ended up getting tired and his arms were heavy. JDS has always been known to have his hands a little low, but he got extremely tired, and his arms dropped even more and he couldn't move around the cage as well anymore. I don't think it was that he wasn't listening to his corner, his body just couldn't do it after getting caught hard and constantly defending TD's. He was forced to play Cain's game and couldn't get comfortable in the fight.

He got outworked. That's all.

He gassed and was confused. Jds didn't know what to do. He had no plan B.

I thought the same thing, and his corner didn't really help him out with his offense either.

He naturally has a habit of dropping his hands. It's something most mma guys have a problem with. I've seen him do it even when he wasn't tired and a takedown wasn't coming. It's a hole in his striking defense Cain was able to repeatedly capitalize on

His corner didn't instruct him to use proper head & foot movement.
They kept repeating "Keep your hands up" but no emphases about circling.
I think the boxing coach in JDS corner was the same guy in Anderson Silva's corner when he fought Sonnen the first time.

Try to keep your hands up when you're gassed. It looks like they weigh a ton.
The same with circling, moving...it's even more tiring.

It's his usual stance (with hands very low). He is trying to imitate the Klits maybe.
His team were giving him dumb advices. Didn't they know that he never box with hands high?
He was just very tired and never recovered from that shot in the first rd. That was his downfall.

It's his usual stance (with hands very low). He is trying to imitate the Klits maybe.
His team were giving him dumb advices. Didn't they know that he never box with hands high?
He was just very tired and never recovered from that shot in the first rd. That was his downfall.

I think they said that since keeping your hands high is the best way to protect yourself without using much energy. It's not the end all of boxing/defense but if you're too tired to dodge punches at least protect your face with your hands.

I think JDS was in zombie mode from the first round.

I think they said that since keeping your hands high is the best way to protect yourself without using much energy. It's not the end all of boxing/defense but if you're too tired to dodge punches at least protect your face with your hands.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

Someone said that they (cornermen) didn't help JDS with his offense, but I heard them calling for going for jabs and follow with uppercut. I can't remember if he did this, but they asked him to. He tried uppercuts, but did he set them up? He was so gassed and battered anyway that I think he didn't have much to dish out...

Maybe he doesn't actually speak Portuguese.

Maybe he was just faking it all along, like I do, when I do Wand impressions.

If you look at how Cain was changing levels all the time, you will see JDS couldn't make up his mind whether to defend the head or the body, or defend against takedown.
Cain just literally mixed it up so good that JDS could not see what was coming at any given moment.

my 2 cents.

JDS pretty clearly had a hard time adapting once he wasn't winning.

He even said in one of the post-fight interviews he didn't adapt, although he was mostly referring to his strategy of always trying to stand right back up after the takedown, instead of engage on the ground using Jujitsu.

Training too much with Anderson, Anderson keeping his hands low rubbed off on JDS....obviously.

This is MMA not boxing, just "keeping your hands up" isnt really going to provide much of a defence unless you have Overeem sized forearms.

Ultimately MMA defence is always going to be more about controling the distance, head/hip movement and of course having your opponant fear your own offence/takedowns.

The problem for JDS really was IMHO how quickly the fight went away from him, the the end of the first it was already effectively over, he did a hell of a job lasting until the end and making it competitive late on.

Back