JDS was unable to listen to his corner. Why?

No Cain is just a beast and he mauled JDS for 5 rounds. JDS has nothing for Cain except KO power, which every heavy weight has. JDS is good, he

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

Someone said that they (cornermen) didn't help JDS with his offense, but I heard them calling for going for jabs and follow with uppercut. I can't remember if he did this, but they asked him to. He tried uppercuts, but did he set them up? He was so gassed and battered anyway that I think he didn't have much to dish out...

He was setting them up via body shots (see the TheStrikingGuy article about JDS) but Cain wasn't reacting unlike everybody ever and the first fight. Javier Mendez did a fantastic job preparing Cain for this fight.

He wasn't able to utilize his great footwork which usually allows him to keep his hands low..

It annoyed me as well. Which is worse, getting taken down or getting punched/kicked in the head? He couldn't stop the takedowns anyway, he got taken down 10-15 times. It just seemed like he couldn't respond to Cain's gameplan or adapt in any way.

He stopped 66% of the takedowns and still got taken down 11 times but he popped immediately up all the time apart from twice.

Most HWs wouldn't be able to stop a single Cain take down.

I was surprised when they announced he was awarded his black belt in December, you would think he'd welcome somebody to the ground...but heh

Cain knew that JDS wouldnt be able to hang with him on the ground and that was huge factor. Cain also knew that JDS is very predictable and wilts under pressure. Cain pressured him,had him backing up and made him pay.

JDS has always held his hands low so that was nothing different from any other fight he has been in so it wasnt special for this fight. JDS also has terrible,terrible head movement and foot work I dont care what his nuthuggers say.

I think JDS had an adrenaline dump in that first round combined with the pressure cain put on and the perfect gameplan he brought. Cane fought the perfect fight. Props to him!

I think JDS was in zombie mode from the first round.

This. After round one his only hope was to land a big punch to drop Cain, other than that going the distance was the only thing he could accomplish.

Bad boxing technique for sure. JDS needs to work on his defense. I was never impressed with his boxing defense. He needs better head movment and a higher guard.

As everyone else is saying he was too tired to keep his hands up. For the life of me I don't know why Cain wasn't throwing any elbows. Particularly at the end of the second round when he was pressing JDS against the cage, JDS was so gassed, he had a great shot and landing some significant elbows and ending the fight there.

The knockdown stole his senses for about two rounds. he got back to just being gassed and was still a zombie. Cain really threw everything at him in rd 1, big risk for huge reward

Dos Santos kept his hands low throughout the fight. His corner told him after every round to keep his hands up and then he stood up and ate punches with his hands down. Why do you think that happened? I always thought that Junior has great team around him and he really listens to them and does what they ask him to do. He didn't.

JDS himself said that he was afraid of takedowns, but was it all about that? It looked like Cain dove for single legs most of the time. He didn't need his hands to stay away from single leg takedowns, he needed movement. Cain failed a lot of those single legs, so he was defending them OK... Is Junior's boxing defense lacking so much? He didn't even try to block the shots with his hands, he managed to dodge few even when he was doing his best "stanky leg" imitation of Rashad.

If you are standing next to the fence, why not block some shots instead of eating them? I think his cornermen were disappointed even though JDS showed he has a heart of a lion and survived the whole 5 long rounds. The man has a warriors heart.

122912velasquez3-jpeg_071738.jpg

What do you think?

You can't suddenly, in the midst of a fight when already hurt and tired, develop new skills and utilize them. IMO, Junior has never bothered to develop his defensive boxing because he and his team have always felt "attack is the best form of defence" - but they never figured they'd encounter someone as good as Cain. I don't think Junior knows how to defend properly off the back foot when someone like Cain is throwing hard straight shots at him, and it's a skill that he MUST learn if he's ever to challenge Velasquez again.

This. After round one his only hope was to land a big punch to drop Cain, other than that going the distance was the only thing he could accomplish.

JDS always relies upon the big punch. That is his game plan as a brawler and outside of that he is lost.

he gassed. he may have focused too much on cain's takedowns

simple... He was cocky imo, had his hands down, got caught with some hard shots, got tired, and couldn't recover. Hell Cain was gassing in the last 2 rds. If JDS didnt get tired EARLY that would have been a differnt fight. but oh well he didnt

I think JDS was in zombie mode from the first round.

This! He never recovered from rd1. Cain punched himself out in that round as well while trying to finish but he kept the pressure so intense, JDS never had a chance to recover.

Dos Santos kept his hands low throughout the fight. His corner told him after every round to keep his hands up and then he stood up and ate punches with his hands down. Why do you think that happened? I always thought that Junior has great team around him and he really listens to them and does what they ask him to do. He didn't.

JDS himself said that he was afraid of takedowns, but was it all about that? It looked like Cain dove for single legs most of the time. He didn't need his hands to stay away from single leg takedowns, he needed movement. Cain failed a lot of those single legs, so he was defending them OK... Is Junior's boxing defense lacking so much? He didn't even try to block the shots with his hands, he managed to dodge few even when he was doing his best "stanky leg" imitation of Rashad.

If you are standing next to the fence, why not block some shots instead of eating them? I think his cornermen were disappointed even though JDS showed he has a heart of a lion and survived the whole 5 long rounds. The man has a warriors heart.

122912velasquez3-jpeg_071738.jpg

What do you think?

Cain beat JDS at his own game, JDS could've beaten Cain at his own game, but he was brain-washed into thinking that he could'nt grapple with Cain-and the true fact is he was much stronger then Cain. The very first take-down when Cain wound up on top of JDS, Junior turned him over with ease and then got up, he could've easily controlled Cain on the ground- with some ground and pound...even when he was dazed and totally out-of-it, he managed to keep getting up when Cain took him down. He would've beat Cain at his own game.

Back