JDS regret lack of gameplan

Eddy Magro

White Belt
Reaction score
so-so translation by me:

"What complicated for me was not having a gameplan. I was very focused on avoiding his strategy, thinking about what he was going to do and I ended not knowing what I was supposed to do. There was nothing mine to put there, to go after him. I should used my jiu-jitsu, not tried to get up every time, but the people from the corner was telling me to get up. And when I was trying to defend the takedowns he hitted me in the face."

For someone that picked Cain and made fun of a couple JDS fans. He said himself he didn't even bring in wrestlers this time around. HE could have done so much better

EDIT: but that is not a good enough excuse for loosing a fight. Cain whooped him

The worst thing for me is JDS having Doria as main coach. Doria is a boxing god trainer here in Brazil but that's about it. He only knows about boxing and when a wrestler is throwing you around, what kind of advice you should expect from him?

Put the entire interview or the dumbfu*ks around here will say that he is making excuses.

so next time
- maybe bring in wrestlers when you are gonna fight a wrestler
- maybe not spend half your camp at a s+c camp
- actualy have a gameplan cause cain has proven his last 2 fights he'l be bringing one
- hands up for f''' sake

Im sure jds will be hurting physicaly and mentaly from this one for a long while but hes gotta take some confort in the fact he took cains best for 25 mins most of which he was spent and he wasnt finished

Yeah, maybe time for some changes/additions in the corner. I agree that you can't focus mainly on stifling your opponents gameplan, you need to attack your own. And as a man with a BJJ balckbelt, some work from their guard may have been effective. CAN'T WAIT FOR THE 3RD FIGHT!!!

He definitely was reacting and not "acting". My memory is a little hazy but didn't he reverse a takedown and get top position in the 1st only to stand back up.
He should learn from last night that Cain is not to be trifled with, he cant lay back and wait for the knockout to come. He will have to get after Cain and make him uncomfortable.
III should be a blinder

One of the drawbacks of being such a damn good boxer. He only prepared for a win by boxing dominance.

Jds doesn't really ever come with a gamplan other then stuffing the take down and using his boxing. His conditioning isn't really the best and Cains conditioning is outta this world.

JDS is as nice of a guy as we'll ever see in pro sports.

He is not making excuses, he is explaining a question in the interview that inquired why he seemed so powerless in this fight, why his own output was not up to expectations. In no moment he takes the credit from Cain, in fact, I was very pleased to see a civilized fight after the Sonnen-Silva circus.

The fight ended, they shaked hands, JDS lost because Cain is a better MMA fighter. That's it.

Thanks for the translation Eddy. I agree, Doria should be only an addition to JDS, not the main coach, but can you really see JDS doing ground-game and being more well-rounded? We'll have to wait for his next fights to see if he changes.

Ideas for a gameplan:
Keep your hands up
Throw punches, they seem to work for you.

I have no idea what he was thinking last night and I give him credit for enduring all that punishment and for the fact that even in zombie mode he always finds a way to get back up, but keeping his hands down at all times was very very stupid.

Also, if your gonna keep your hands down you better have good head movement. JDS usually just uses footwork to get away from punches, but not to much head movement.

When i heard he didn't bring in a wrestler i was very, very surprised as everyone knew Cains game plan.

The worst thing for me is JDS having Doria as main coach. Doria is a boxing god trainer here in Brazil but that's about it. He only knows about boxing and when a wrestler is throwing you around, what kind of advice you should expect from him?

Keep your hands up. Cause that's all his corner said last night...
Pretty ridiculous

Also, if your gonna keep your hands down you better have good head movement. JDS usually just uses footwork to get away from punches, but not to much head movement.

He also usually uses a very wide stance that seems to work very well for him. For this fight, he decided to use no guard, change his stance and not throw punches.

One of the drawbacks of being such a damn good boxer. He only prepared for a win by boxing dominance.

He was getting outstruck before Cain was regularly having success with his takedowns. It was the constant pressure that JDS couldn't handle. Brushing up on his boxing skills and cardio would have gone a long way. Of course, people should realize that Cain gassed from the pace he set, as well. Had JDS managed not to almost get put out cold at the end of round 1, things could have been different.

Back