JDS regret lack of gameplan

Nobody's game plan ever accounts for a 240 pound man punching you square in the jaw in 4 ounce gloves.

For someone that picked Cain and made fun of a couple JDS fans. He said himself he didn't even bring in wrestlers this time around. HE could have done so much better

EDIT: but that is not a good enough excuse for loosing a fight. Cain whooped him

if that's actually true, that's pants on head retarded. ESPECIALLY because he didn't even prove he could stop a REAL takedown attempt from Cain in the 1st fight (note, a quick little foot grab? Not exactly a high single leg...)

So why in the world would he be arrogant enough to think he shouldn't be practicing takedown defense constantly against the best takedowns artist possible? That was the #1 thing I thought he'd have to worry about

Nobody's game plan ever accounts for a 240 pound man punching you square in the jaw in 4 ounce gloves.

that has nothing to do with what junior's saying.

Fighters do typically come in with specific strategies; and apparently Junior didn't

Lol at all these idiots saying "keep your hands up, use head movement, throw punches".

You guys are sitting on those computer chairs too much, I'd love to see you guys take a hit from Cain and keep going for 5 rounds, I guarantee you after all those hits, he wasn't there mentally, so to say "oh he didn't do this didn't do that", well, look at WHY he didn't do it for starters.

Of course, it should be pointed out that acknowledging that JDS did not have a proper gameplan is NOT making excuses for the dude. Not having the right gameplan means that the burden of blame is simply shifted more on you and it means that in this case, the fight was as much about JDS not performing like he is capable of performing as it was about Cain going out and getting the job done in devastating fashion.

This will also likely be the end of JDS relying so heavily on his boxing skills and start utilizing more diverse striking and finally turning to his BJJ arsenal. I suspect he had gotten too complacent when it came to his BJJ skills since in all his past UFC fights he had to rely on them only for TDD purposes and to keep the fight standing. I think now he is gonna be looking to make his BJJ a cornerstone of his fight plan along with his boxing rather than a mere afterthought.

How is that an excuse? He was commenting on his own errors.

Read the interview.

if that's actually true, that's pants on head retarded. ESPECIALLY because he didn't even prove he could stop a REAL takedown attempt from Cain in the 1st fight (note, a quick little foot grab? Not exactly a high single leg...)

So why in the world would he be arrogant enough to think he shouldn't be practicing takedown defense constantly against the best takedowns artist possible? That was the #1 thing I thought he'd have to worry about

I'm not really seeing how this lost JDS the fight, he was stuffing or escaping from Cains takedowns just fine until the big shot landed at the end of the first. If anything I'd say the reverse, he was perhaps too focused on avoiding the takedown and let it impact his own offence.

My feeling though is that JDS just wasnt prepaired for Cain to really go toe to toe with him standing, I'd argue not something that anyone has really done in the UFC before. In terms of chin it clearly wasnt a problem until the big shot but technically and mentally he didnt seem prepaired to me.

Up until now JDS's focus has really been big looping head shots which have been effective vs opponant staying at mid distance, vs someone closing the distance like Cain did though such shots become much harder to time. In the absense of a good power straight or powerful kicks/knees I think Jnr really should have focused on counterpunches to the body more.

this is pretty discouraging to hear.

hope he doesn't let that happen again

always do the unexpected, cain did, he striked with jds on the feet.

jds should have took cain down early and tried gnp or submissions. he looked like the better grappler early.

JDS is not making an excuse... he is saying he fought dumb and got beat.

Judging from a pre-fight interview it wasn't an arrogance issue. He said he did not bring in any wrestlers because it was hard finding one that could prepare (replicate? on the level of? had the same skill set? not sure the exact interpretation of what he meant) him for Cain Velasquez.

Lol at all these idiots saying "keep your hands up, use head movement, throw punches".

You guys are sitting on those computer chairs too much, I'd love to see you guys take a hit from Cain and keep going for 5 rounds, I guarantee you after all those hits, he wasn't there mentally, so to say "oh he didn't do this didn't do that", well, look at WHY he didn't do it for starters.

The first huge punch that landed in round 1 was because he was casually walking backwards with his hands down, and cain nailed his ass. He wasnt hurt before that point

JDS didn't lose in the wrestling department, JDS was outboxed.

The threat of Cains repeated takedown attempts made Santos keep his hands low and Cain opened a target on JDS face landed a devastating blow that grounded him.

An overlooked point is that Cain was outstriking Santos before and after the big punch and proceeded to pick him apart for the remaining rounds.

After junior reversed cain from the first big takedown, he should have just tried to maintain top position. He could have surprised cain with that, instead he chose to avoid the ground at all costs ---- why? Cains ground game isnt that good, certainly not his bottom game

Jds doesn't really ever come with a gamplan other then stuffing the take down and using his boxing. His conditioning isn't really the best and Cains conditioning is outta this world.

You're very wrong in evaluation of JDS's conditioning If anything, his conditioning was as good or better than Cain's last night. He stayed in the fight for 25 minutes, despite have a 240lb man laying on top/smothering him for much of the fight. You will expend a tremendous amount of energy defending the wrasslin' of somebody of Cain's skill and size.

If they fight a third time, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for either guy to recreate their success in the previous match-ups. This is what has been most intriguing about these two heavyweights setting foot in the octagon together. However, if I was a betting man (which I am, on occasion), I would likely put money down on Cigano in the rubber match.

dude he killed cain last time and has killed basically everyone with taking minimal damage - he was too high on himself maybe, or maybe he just got whipped - whatever it is, when you're in that position, its hard to push yourslef to the max -

but now he'll show his colors

So that explains why he was fighting like he had no idea what he was doing. He literally didn't.

You can call that an excuse, to me it sounds like one of the biggest admissions of fucking up from a fighter I've ever heard.

How do you go into a fight without a gameplan? Did he expect Cain to just stand there and get KO'd again?

Back