JDS-Hunt strange issue

Style wise Hunt has a great shot at putting JDS out.

It's just a style match up thing. Hunt has a granite chin and brutal stand up. Hunt could give Overeem a run for his money.

It could happen but not likely. Overeem would take him down and sub him fairly quickly or guillotine him. Overeem has a very proven ground game while JDS does not and it showed when fighting Cain.

I've always thought Hunt would beat JDS on the feet. Him getting knocked down by a lesser striker adds to that. I realize Cain's grappling makes it different, but that was still a lot more telling than Werdum's soft-shots-to-butt-scoot tactics.

It's not like Hunt's the better MMA fighter, JDS' grappling is a big part of why he's had more success than Hunt. Just the match-up.

Laughable. Mark Hunt is the hardest puncher in the heavyweight division, PERIOD. If he connects, you are going to sleep.

Hunt outboxed Mike Bernardo, formerly ranked in the top 50 of the world in heavyweight boxing.

TS, you are kidding yourself if you think Hunt couldn't beat JDS. Hunt also slapped a kimura on Fedor and almost finished him.

Because of all this I was pretty annoyed Mir got the stitle shot instead of Hunt. I mean top ten wins, rankings and whatever but when you put on paper some match up you must have in mind whether or not the contender stands a real chance or there is some other fighter, who, even with wins over lesser ranked fighters stands better shot and would make for more competitive match up. What did Mir really had for JDS. Long before the fight I knew how it would play out. It was obvious- Mir neither had the striking nor the speed nor the wrestling to take this fight. One of the biggest mismatches in the HW Division recently.

Whereas Hunt stood a legit shot at the champ striking wise- he would either catch him or JDS's speed would be too much for him and the latter will otpoint him fighting on the outside. I really hope we'll get to see that fight in the future.

Cardio alone will not beat Hunt on the feet as he will pressure JDS and land bombs.

Well he does have a point. You need cardio and speed to pressure someone. JDS is better in both those departments than Hunt. I mean hand speed may be equal, but foorwork- it goes to JDS big time.

Hunt would either catch him coming in or JDS will outpoint him all the rounds. Pretty interesting match up. They should make it happen. Though I believe they wont. They will most likely give JDS one fight- like rematch with Werdum- and then title fight again.

I've always favored Hunt over JDS. He's just the better kickboxer. Check Hunt's fights with Sefo and LeBanner for reference. Even past his prime he's no push over.

JDS wining or losing vs Cain changed nothing.

Yeah people fail to realise that styles make fights. That's where it begins and ends. JDS couldn't handle what Cain put on him but we've seen what happened to lesser men(bigfoot) when Cain did the same thing. That puts into perspective just how tough Junior really is.

I picked JDS to win but I gotta say now that the first fight was probably his 1/10. From the pictures I've seen, he got his ass kicked pretty good. Cain may just be a bad matchup for Dos Santos...quick knockouts aside of course.

I seem everybody forget the past JDS fights.
- Mirko is one of the best striker in MMA, JDS easily beating him up
- Carwin is a huge and strong wrestler, former top 5, JDS easily beating him up
- Mir is a very dangerous BJJ guy, JDS easily beating him up
- Werdum is the one of the best HW BJJ guys ever in MMA, JDS easily beating him up
- and so on..
and now people think JDS is an easily beatable dude.

I've always favored Hunt over JDS. He's just the better kickboxer. Check Hunt's fights with Sefo and LeBanner for reference. Even past his prime he's no push over.

JDS wining or losing vs Cain changed nothing.

In a MMA fight? Well...I dunno, dont u feel JDS will just outpoint him staying on the outside sticking and moving? I think thats the more probable outcome. JDS could also take Hunt down- he shot on Carwin, I think he is looking to use this part of the game in the future.

I'd say its 55/45 in favor of JDS or even 60/40. Hunt still very dangerous for him- can catch him, we all saw Carwin, Roy Nelson, Mir, CC landing on JDS. Hunt's hands are much better than the abovementioned guys and if he lands it could be over.

I seem everybody forget the past JDS fights.
- Mirko is one of the best striker in MMA, JDS easily beating him up
- Carwin is a huge and strong wrestler, former top 5, JDS easily beating him up
- Mir is a very dangerous BJJ guy, JDS easily beating him up
- Werdum is the one of the best HW BJJ guys ever in MMA, JDS easily beating him up
- and so on..
and now people think JDS is an easily beatable dude.

Cro Cop's best days were long behind him when they fought. If you disagree, that's fine, though I think that's not one of the best opinions out there if you look at his older fights.

All those guys you listed could beat Hunt, but none of them would beat him on the feet. Hunt recently outgrappled Rothwell, which is better than any offensive grappling JDS has done, so him shooting for takedowns won't make it an easy win like it would be for Mir and Werdum if they got him down.

Yeah but what you dont realize is that while Cain beat on Junior for 5 rounds and couldnt put him away Hunto can with a couple well-placed shots.

Hunts 1 dimension> Cains 2 dimensions

I disagree. Junior also has the option of taking Hunt down and ending the fight ina few mins.

Lots of us have thought that Hunt has a great shot at JDS for a while, hence #RallyForHunt et al. But you're right that people on here are far too reactionary. Nowhere is 'you're only as good as your last fight' as true as on Sherdog.

Well actually Overeem already did that lol. But I think in the UFC today it's less likely but I still think he has a shot.

Exactly my point. Overeem is a darn good grappler and has very good TD's. I think Hunt would have a chance but I think his chances of winning are even greater against JDS for the lack of grappling and wrestling skill so the fight would remain standing.

I disagree. Junior also has the option of taking Hunt down and ending the fight ina few mins.

Nothing about JDS tells me that he would be able to do anything on the ground to Hunt at all. Hunt also defended subs from Fedor for a majority of their fight. JDS has nowhere close to that type of sub game.

it's always sort of cliche around here that most sherdoggers are dumb and don't really understand MMA,

but I swear to God, it's true. It's completely true. Because I find myself having to EXPLAIN this stuff, as if to a child, to 90% of sherdog.

Losing to a wrestler with good striking and amazing cardio means JDS is going to lose to a powerful striker with weak wrestling and weak cardio? Really sherdoggers? Really?

Sherdog should have a "Vet", or experienced Poster forum, where Poster's are nominated permissions from other Posters to post there based on insight and contextual relevance to MMA. Not based on belt color, or even tenor. Of course, those who pay get access as well. Put it right between the UFC and World Wide MMA forums. Weed out the idiot from real fans of the sport.

Nothing about JDS tells me that he would be able to do anything on the ground to Hunt at all. Hunt also defended subs from Fedor for a majority of their fight. JDS has nowhere close to that type of sub game.

It doesnt take much to sub Hunt these days. He could also gnp him.

If all else fails his hands are plenty good enough to ko him.

MMA fans are very fickle. As soon as someone loses, they suck. It doesn't matter who they lost to, or who they have beaten prior. It's only the last fight that matter. JDS would beat Hunt, but I do want to see this fight. Would be a good battle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back