JDS grabbing the cage prevented the TKO?

KoreanZawmbie

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Rewatching the fight, he grabs the fence which prevented Cain from getting more leverage to deliver solid GnP. I believe, if JDS hadn't grabbed the cage, he would have rolled into a fetal position or into guard with Cain raining down shots via big foot fight and could have very well stopped the fight.

It wasn't only in the 1st round. he grabbed the fence twice after that, both times he was warned by Herb. It wasn't until I believe the 4th or 5th round, Herb finally warns to deduct a point, but at that stage of the fight it was pretty much said and done.

What do you guys think, a non issue? or something blatant as that should go without punishment.

Last edited:
Non-issue IMO. It's hard not to grab the cage when it's right there. It's just human nature. It wasn't like he was latching onto it and hanging on for dear life. Every time the fight was even close to being stopped JDS would work to improve his position. He was shocked and overwhelmed tonight, but I don't think he was even close to truly being stopped even as gassed as he was. There was plenty of fight in that guy.

It definitely helped him stop a few takedowns and it was ridiculous how many times he did it. Not sure it saved him from being finished though.

Rewatching the fight, he grabs the fence which prevented Cain from getting more leverage to deliver solid GnP. I believe, if JDS hadn't grabbed the cage, he would have rolled into a fetal position or into guard with Cain raining down shots via big foot fight could have and the fight very well been stopped.

It wasn't only in the 1st round. he grabbed the fence twice after that, both times he was warned by Herb. It wasn't until I believe the 4th or 5th round, Herb warns to deduct a point, but at that stage of the fight was pretty much said and done.

What do you guys think, a non issue? or something blatant as that should go without punishment.

I think its a non issue because it didn't change the outcome, Cain still got the W.

Also im not sure JDS knew what he was doing, he was so fucking out of it, at that point i think he was just running on instinct. It would be a bigger deal to me if he had pulled out a miracle KO, because then you can say that Cain might have won had JDS not done it, but that didn't happen.

Yea it was bullshit. Grabbing the fence and preventing big shots from a HW fighter. Thats big. 2 times warned is bullshit. Just take a point away!

Yea it was bullshit. Grabbing the fence and preventing big shots from a HW fighter. Thats big. 2 times warned is bullshit. Just take a point away!

What would it have mattered? JDS was losing by so much that losing 5 points wouldn't matter. He had nothing to lose by continuing to grab the fence.

He grabbed the cage close to 10 times and only got one warning. Something needs to be changed.

rewatched. Cain wrecked him in the first. wow! didn't actually floor him til near the end of the round with a 1:22 left.

Non-issue IMO. It's hard not to grab the cage when it's right there. It's just human nature. It wasn't like he was latching onto it and hanging on for dear life. Every time the fight was even close to being stopped JDS would work to improve his position. He was shocked and overwhelmed tonight, but I don't think he was even close to truly being stopped even as gassed as he was. There was plenty of fight in that guy.

You need to get this stupid thought out of your head ASAP. You know what else is human nature? Flinching, turning your back, basically none of the things grapplers do is innate reflexive action. So how does anyone get good at fighting, and do the right things when it's so obviously not instinctive (since nobody's ever been a great fighter just naturally)?

Oh yeah, that's right. They train. Resist grabbing the fence in training, hell even have your coaches give you negative reinforcement when you do, and surprise! you'll stop grabbing it in fights.

If it's such a natural thing to do, train it away. It's against the rules. Just because there's rarely any real penalty for it doesn't mean it's ok and that you shouldn't work on getting out of your system.

He grabbed the cage close to 10 times and only got one warning. Something needs to be changed.

I agree. Even if the referees don't change, I think coaches should make it more of a priority to train the fighters in their camps out of doing it.

It was the fence's fault.

Not really. Cain put a pounding on him but still played it relatively safe.

Indeed. See Fedor vs. Lindland.

Rewatching the fight, he grabs the fence which prevented Cain from getting more leverage to deliver solid GnP. I believe, if JDS hadn't grabbed the cage, he would have rolled into a fetal position or into guard with Cain raining down shots via big foot fight and could have very well stopped the fight.

It wasn't only in the 1st round. he grabbed the fence twice after that, both times he was warned by Herb. It wasn't until I believe the 4th or 5th round, Herb finally warns to deduct a point, but at that stage of the fight it was pretty much said and done.

I love Velasquez but no. JDS improved his position everytime he was in danger of getting stopped.

JDS really gained my respect tonight. That boy has a chin and a half

Holy crap, there are a lot of people really bent out of shape about this cage grabbing thing. Really a non-issue since the outcome wasn't affected by it. Certainly not enough of an issue to write a friggin' dissertation on it.

I love Velasquez but no. JDS improved his position everytime he was in danger of getting stopped.

JDS really gained my respect tonight. That boy has a chin and a half

if u ever get to rewatch the fight, start @ 1:17 in the first round. Cain drags JDS back down, tries to roll him but JDS prevents it by grabbing the cage. It allowed him to improve his position slightly before getting taken down again. But my point being that specific time, if it wasn't for the fence grab who knows what could have happened. I firmly believe nothing too good, via stoppage

Holy crap, there are a lot of people really bent out of shape about this cage grabbing thing. Really a non-issue since the outcome wasn't affected by it. Certainly not enough of an issue to write a friggin' dissertation on it.

Yes it is. JDS was grabbing the cage from the moment the fight started. You can't just let fighters get away with that. He could have grabbed the cage to prevent a TD and KOed Cain in the clinch. I am glad it didn't effect the outcome, but it doesn't change the fact that it is something that needs to have stricter consequences. Just look at Aldo vs. Mendes.

Yeah, I lost respect for JDS for doing that.

He got too much leeway from Herb so I hold him accountable as well.

People acted like Silva commited a national crime for holding Sonnen's shorts but are giving Dos Santos a pass for grabbing the cage multiple times to avoid going down, or to improve his position? Why is cheating ok for some but not all?

Back