Jaunty's "My House, My Rules" Fatherly Advice Basement Bar

I should probably retract the "should" in the first sentence. Having less time for a hobby is going to happen to most as they get older. I don't want to harp on it too much more - my novel above explains my point better.

Yes, if hitting gym #'s and attending a couple meets is your idea of success.

The one thing that the lifting hurts is my ability to maintain my golf swing, I am fine with that, golf will be around as long as I am. Lifting does not hinder other aspects of my life. My work never suffers, I see friends and family on a regular basis, I vacation often, attend concerts regularly, and I eat anything that I want. I assume once I complete my home gym maintaining that balance will only get easier. I have competed in some sort of sport from kindergarten on and it has always been a source of enjoyment for me and my friends and family. Now that I have entered powerlifting I feel no different. I am content with the amount of time and effort I put into powerlifting and I feel like the return matches that investment. If my employer, wife, friends and or family had an issue with me spending +/- 7 hours a week training, I would most likely stop, fortunately everyone who matters have always had my back in my goofy sports journey. I was unaware that they also have powerlifting swords, I might shoot for that one day, as I was never able to get my hands on one of the NAGA swords back in the day.

Lot of peeps yapping bout what others 'should' be doing

I should probably retract the "should" in the first sentence. Having less time for a hobby is going to happen to most as they get older. I don't want to harp on it too much more - my novel above explains my point better.
I understand the point you're making, and I agree with some of what you said. I think most people would agree one should have a balanced life and not invest all their free time into one thing.

I'm fine with people lifting casually and being "mediocre" rather than completely dedicating themselves to something that can be perceived as unrewarding. I suppose for most people on this board lifting is a semi-casual hobby they choose to pursue.

Now that I've cleared all that bullshit up...You do come across like you're taking a shit on those who dedicate themselves to lifting. I have no plans to coach anyone, and I'm not going form a business based around lifting. I know you thought it was less than noble to train for thousands of hours and do a few meets. However, is it noble to train thousands of hours in something you want to perfect and excel at?

Last edited:
I understand the point you're making, and I agree with some of what you said. I think most people would agree one should have a balanced life and not invest all their free time into one thing.

I'm fine with people lifting casually and being "mediocre" rather than completely dedicating themselves to something that can be perceived as unrewarding. I suppose for most people on this board lifting is a semi-casual hobby they choose to pursue.

Now that I've cleared all that bullshit up...You do come across like you're taking a shit on those who dedicate themselves to lifting. I have no plans to coach anyone, and I'm not going form a business based around lifting. I know you thought it was less than noble to train for thousands of hours and do a few meets. However, is it noble to train thousands of hours in something you want to perfect and excel at?

Honest answer? No. I don't care if someone chooses to do that, and people should choose what they find rewarding to them. Is dedicating thousands of hours and making a ton of sacrifices to hit a big total at a couple meets impressive? Sure, but I don't think it's really a big life achievement. It's just excelling at a hobby. As mentioned, I'd find someone that is weaker but has actually used powerlifting as a tool to travel a lot, make some money, train others, etc. as a better achievement. I also think someone that has had experiences with a lot more hobbies has lived a fuller life than someone who grinded doing the same shit in the gym for years. My entire point is that it shouldn't be shocking that others don't want to spend a ton of time on something like powerlifting which really is only important to an extremely small portion of the population.

Anyone watching Diaz/McGregor? Three rounds down and it's a hell of a fight.

Also- fuck. There was a bombing in the town I am staying in right now. Outdoor wedding party. 30 dead, 70 injured.

There's another wedding party happening outside my apartment, they apparently have decided to press on and not give any fucks- fair play to them.

Also- fuck. There was a bombing in the town I am staying in right now. Outdoor wedding party. 30 dead, 70 injured.

There's another wedding party happening outside my apartment, they apparently have decided to press on and not give any fucks- fair play to them.
Shit. Hope it works out OK for them.

Wrestling at the Olympics was fucking crazy today.
RUKi9wt.jpg

Do you ever worry about ending up on YouTube in an orange jump suit?

Hope everything is okay Jaunty

Random video for some lulz

Do you ever worry about ending up on YouTube in an orange jump suit?

Not really. I think some of the people that that happened to were doing very dangerous things like traveling on their own in Syria. In general, people get kidnapped when they do stuff like walking down the same quiet ally every night, so someone notices a pattern. I don't really do stuff like that.

A bit more concerned about bombing at the moment.

Back