Japanese Judokas with cauliflower ear..

Genetics have nothing to do with it. Anyone who puts in 15 years of solid focused drilling like the Japanese do is going to get cauliflower ear. You look at every Turk, every Kazakh, every Iranian and they all are exactly the same way. That is because these are very drill concentrated grappling nations. Then look at the Americans, the Russians. Cauliflower isnt as prevalent because we are more live sparring type grappling nations. I could be wrong, but I have been to many long training camps around the world and have been around foreign wrestlers for the last 10 years, and it never changes.

This is an interesting view because from what I have seen of japanese judoka, they do way more sparring than drilling than some europeans. In fact, to the point, where you would think they have no knowledge of peaking etc.
We may be talking different sports here.

I thought they got it more because of their ears getting smashed on the mats during big throws. Also the ear drums get smashed.

Yeah landing on your ear on a big throw causes concussions and brain trauma, not cauliflower ear.

Cauliflower is generally from grinding, scraping, shearing pressure against the side of the head. Not from impacts.

Genetics have nothing to do with it. Anyone who puts in 15 years of solid focused drilling like the Japanese do is going to get cauliflower ear. You look at every Turk, every Kazakh, every Iranian and they all are exactly the same way. That is because these are very drill concentrated grappling nations. Then look at the Americans, the Russians. Cauliflower isnt as prevalent because we are more live sparring type grappling nations. I could be wrong, but I have been to many long training camps around the world and have been around foreign wrestlers for the last 10 years, and it never changes.

You are very right. Drilling is the thing for japan and other countries you listed. They drill well over a 1000 a day (exaggeration.) hella alot more than americans do in any type of sports. Like they say practice makes perfect. And for judo, it's always drill then spar, repeat.

Is it caused more often by 1 smash or is it normally caused by long term abuse?

It is caused from one smash.

Then the person will get it drain or not.

But he keeps training and the caulifower ear just reappears.

I'm pretty sure you can't buy hypodermic needles over the counter here which means you can't drain your ears yourself if you get cauli. That's probably a big part of it. Even if you could, J-high school judo students would wear cauliflower like a badge of honor. No surprise there.

It may also have a lot to do with it that in Japan it's cheaper to die and reincarnate than to go to a doctor.

It may also have a lot to do with it that in Japan it's cheaper to die and reincarnate than to go to a doctor.

Japan. Well known for their terribly expensive healthcare. And terrible Judo.

Last night I went and worked out with one of the local Junior High School teams (Judo) And I will say they did a lot of drilling and not much randori (sparring). I think Holt may be onto something.

It seems like you would get worse ears from live matches but if you're drilling from a position where there's a lot of friction on the ear, you drill that many many times and it's being concentrated as opposed to a live match where you might only be in a friction causing position for a mere moment.

Last night I went and worked out with one of the local Junior High School teams (Judo) And I will say they did a lot of drilling and not much randori (sparring). I think Holt may be onto something.

Two weeks ago I trained with the best high school team in Tokyo and all we did was sparring and no drilling. Three minutes of newaza followed by three minutes of tachiwaza, rinse and repeat till you lose count... I had to stop when one of the kids pulled off one of my fingernails in groundwork!

YMMV as they say on the interwebs.

Two weeks ago I trained with the best high school team in Tokyo and all we did was sparring and no drilling. Three minutes of newaza followed by three minutes of tachiwaza, rinse and repeat till you lose count... I had to stop when one of the kids pulled off one of my fingernails in groundwork!

YMMV as they say on the interwebs.

I had to google YMMV "i'm gettin too old for this shit"

It could be that as an international exchange they want to get matches in with different styles/players. If they traveled to Cali they're probably gonna wanna have practice matches. BUT, I guess it depends.

I had to google YMMV "i'm gettin too old for this shit"
;-)

It could be that as an international exchange they want to get matches in with different styles/players. If they traveled to Cali they're probably gonna wanna have practice matches. BUT, I guess it depends.

More seriously, I am actually inclined to go along with Calibur's (I think it was him) theory of it being a by product of a certain sense of japanese (and also korean too) machismo. Many of these fellows become bodyguards and such and love to wear their cauli!

;-)

More seriously, I am actually inclined to go along with Calibur's (I think it was him) theory of it being a by product of a certain sense of japanese (and also korean too) machismo. Many of these fellows become bodyguards and such and love to wear their cauli!

In Japan it seems like men are either effeminate poofs or wannabe, sometimes, tough guys.

I can say I was grossly disappointed when I first came here and there was little to no Judo in my area. Also most of the men my age look like women.

complaining/

In Japan it seems like men are either effeminate poofs or wannabe, sometimes, tough guys.

I can say I was grossly disappointed when I first came here and there was little to no Judo in my area. Also most of the men my age look like women.

complaining/

That mix of old and new, weird and traditional is why I find that place so strangely fascinating!

;-)

How can I move from Judo to being a bodyguard? I'm starting to think thats a more realistic next move than doing MMA.

How can I move from Judo to being a bodyguard? I'm starting to think thats a more realistic next move than doing MMA.

oh wow I dont know what the necessary and sufficient conditions for bodyguard work is lol!
What I have seen though is if you are a university judo player, majoring in judo, have reasonable level of success, not international but lets say good performance in inter-university play or such, know/hang out with the right people, someone will put in a word for you to get into that line of work.
In short, connections and a proven history of toughness I suppose.

Back