Japanese Judokas with cauliflower ear..

iama

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I understand its not only japanese judoka who may develop this, but I notice it seems quite common among them.

So my question is what are they doing differently to develop this?

It's developed more easily from mat work. I have some on my right ear and I speculate it comes from the irritation that happens with a lot of grip fighting and rubbing the gi around the ear.

I understand its not only japanese judoka who may develop this, but I notice it seems quite common among them.

So my question is what are they doing differently to develop this?

The pinning and head squeezing in newaza can exacerbate the condition sometimes

satoshi-ishii.jpg

The Japanese seem very prone to cauliflower ear.

I was lucky, mine lost the form in it.
It looks like 2 big empty satelite dish.

Its the same in wrestling with the Japanese. It is because they drill much more than live.

Turtling too much vs yoko sankaku jime and reversals to pins. Also, faster pace means more impacts, wich cause sudden cauli ears

And you cant deny genetics...they seem more prone to his kind of trauma

I thought they got it more because of their ears getting smashed on the mats during big throws. Also the ear drums get smashed.

I lived in Japan for a little over three years and always noticed the high school wrestlers always had it bad. I often wondered how hard they went or if their ears are stiffer genetically speaking.

Ethnic Japanese in other countries also seem to get it very easily IME, so I'd wager it has a strong genetic component.

Conversely, people of sub-Saharan African descent seem to get it pretty rarely.

Genetics have nothing to do with it. Anyone who puts in 15 years of solid focused drilling like the Japanese do is going to get cauliflower ear. You look at every Turk, every Kazakh, every Iranian and they all are exactly the same way. That is because these are very drill concentrated grappling nations. Then look at the Americans, the Russians. Cauliflower isnt as prevalent because we are more live sparring type grappling nations. I could be wrong, but I have been to many long training camps around the world and have been around foreign wrestlers for the last 10 years, and it never changes.

I've seen it happen very quickly on more than one Japanese BJJ newbie, I don't think it's anything to do with a distinctive training style.

Genetics have nothing to do with it. Anyone who puts in 15 years of solid focused drilling like the Japanese do is going to get cauliflower ear. You look at every Turk, every Kazakh, every Iranian and they all are exactly the same way. That is because these are very drill concentrated grappling nations. Then look at the Americans, the Russians. Cauliflower isnt as prevalent because we are more live sparring type grappling nations. I could be wrong, but I have been to many long training camps around the world and have been around foreign wrestlers for the last 10 years, and it never changes.

That's really interesting, because I would think that the live grappling would be more likely to cause cauli. Although it doesn't shock me whatsoever that the Japanese are into constant repetitive drilling to such an extreme.

Wind shear in Japan is about 100x that of the US

So being after being thrown for years, the Japanese judokas' ears get messed up from the air pushing against the outer ear structure.

I always thought that its because judo in Japan is like wrestling in the US. They start young and take it serious. It's not some casual sport like it is in much of west.

I'm pretty sure you can't buy hypodermic needles over the counter here which means you can't drain your ears yourself if you get cauli. That's probably a big part of it. Even if you could, J-high school judo students would wear cauliflower like a badge of honor. No surprise there.

Is it caused more often by 1 smash or is it normally caused by long term abuse?

Back