Japan just discovered 16 million tons of rare earth metals.

TribalDrumz

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
The find is being called a "semi-infinite" amount, enough to supply the world for hundreds of years. China previously had the stranglehold on such metals.

Quote:
A new finding that could change the global economy

The newly discovered deposit is enough to "supply these metals on a semi-infinite basis to the world," the study's authors wrote in the study.

There's enough yttrium to meet the global demand for 780 years, dysprosium for 730 years, europium for 620 years, and terbium for 420 years.

The cache lies off of Minamitori Island, about 1,150 miles southeast of Tokyo. It's within Japan's exclusive economic zone, so the island nation has the sole rights to the resources there.

"This is a game changer for Japan," Jack Lifton, a founding principal of a market-research firm called Technology Metals Research, told The Wall Street Journal. "The race to develop these resources is well underway."

Japan started seeking its own rare-earth mineral deposits after China withheld shipments of the substances amid a dispute over islands that both countries claim as their own, Reuters reported in 2014.

Previously, China reduced its export quotas of rare earth minerals in 2010, pushing prices up as much as 10%, The Journal reports. China was forced to start exporting more of the minerals again after the dispute was taken up at the World Trade Organization.
Rare-earth minerals found in Japan in a 'semi-infinite' deposit - Business Insider

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/12/japa...n-pacific.html

Time to invade Japan.
Yttrium: for a strong America!

Sounds like Japan needs some freedom, twice.

The Japanese hate our values. It's only right to bring them some good old democracy

Is it going to be easy to extract? That is where most of the cost savings from china kick in. They dont give a shit about safety standards

Last edited:
If it was big it would have stayed silience

You don't expose something like that

Time to invade Japan.
Yttrium: for a strong America!

giphy.gif

China is going to want a piece in the future. If not all of it.

"game changer", huh? Is this Jack Lifton?

n516988006_1144023_1851.jpg

Last edited:
I disagree. i have a Japanese citizenship. They don't hate America, they are insular and don't like anybody else.
Is there a different mindset for those that immigrate? The Japanese I know in SF are amongst the coolest open minded and thoughtful people I know

And what other country could refine those minerals on a level China does?
They’ll have a stranglehold for years to come.

Last edited:
Wonder if this is going to push mining into the ocean on an overall basis.

I suppose it's better than drilling

Japan just discovered valuable Chinese minerals in Chinese territorial waters you mean. cause thats what the PRC is thinking right now.

Back