James McGirt jr vs Carlos De Leon Jr Tonight on Showbox

I disagree. They should have had MORE of the drama, that's the main reason kids watch TUF. Contender was a little too straight-forward if you ask me.

The lack of drunken shenanigans killed it.

Contender is not dead, they could not come to a deal with ESPN but they will likely be picked up by another network. Might be HBO,Versus time will tell.

"It was a hard decision to make. We were talking to [promoter Tournament of Contenders] about a renewal but we couldn't come to terms," ESPN vice president of series development and production Ron Wechsler told ESPN.com on Thursday.

The series, however, likely will find new life on another network.

"We're sorry it didn't work out at ESPN, but we're in the process of making another deal," said TOC promoter Jeff Wald, one of the executive producers.

Wald would not say what network he was negotiating with but added, Hopefully, the deal we are working on will be closed in the next few days. 'The Contender' is the show that will not die. The show is a success with the fans and it became that without much marketing or promotion. With the exception of Ron, who was in our corner from day one, the show was mishandled right from the beginning."

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=3340702

What an unpleasant digression. Anyway...

I have never seen either fight. I guess I should tune in. Hello, SoppyCast!

Not being gay or anything nor do I have anything against gays, but Gomez has female fans? He's not exactly Rudolph Valentino in the Sheik.

They liked him because he's got that nice guy feel to him but can scrap a bit for a Club Fighter, and he ain't scared of shit, that much is true.

Ya queer.

No. Oh and earlier I mentioned that Carlos hadn't been at Top Rank. I know why, he's been working with Kenny Adams apparently, and Kenny works out of Round 1 Boxing.

Kenny'll drop his ass in a heartbeat if he keeps Boxing like this, though. Like he did Rodel Mayol for not listening when he could have STARCHED Ulises Solis. Kenny's words:

"If he ain't gonna listen, fuck him. Hope he get his ass knocked out again."

Wow, what a crazy ass two rounds. De Leon wobbled in the 6th and dropped, found Jesus and beat him out of Lil Buddy.

WICKED left-hook.

I knew it was going to happen sooner or later. Jr. was literally walking into his left.

They should fight again, really. They made for a decent scrap because of their limitations. They both know they can KO each other, and seem on friendly terms.

Contender was a little too straight-forward if you ask me.

its why i thought the last season was an improvement over the past seasons.

also...ESPN decided to scrap the Contender. I know for a fact they're looking for a new home and word on the street is they have interest. BUT none as powerful as ESPN.

edit: mr pain talked about Versus. I heard the samething.

I enjoyed the card tonight. The last three rounds of Santana/Lopez had me on the edge of my seat. Great come from behind victory for Santana after hitting the deck twice in the eighth.

edit: mr pain talked about Versus. I heard the samething.

A deal with Versus would be cool if they aired the Contender in HD.

yeah the fights were pretty good, especially the turn of events in both fights
Good warmup for the fights tomorrow!

I enjoyed the card tonight. The last three rounds of Santana/Lopez had me on the edge of my seat. Great come from behind victory for Santana after hitting the deck twice in the eighth.

A deal with Versus would be cool if they aired the Contender in HD.

it will find a home but losing ESPN is tough.

Hopefully, the new season, wherever they land, wont insist on having the pre-fight meeting with the wife and kids with everyone crying. I was seriously amazed by the water works involved before every single fight by every single fighter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back