Jake Shields = Vegetarian MMA fighter?? where do you get protein?

hapki

The old school belt
@Green
Reaction score
my question is how you get enough protein to build muscles???
and no, please exclude soy protein which is known to increases estrogen( i know it's a debatable issue)...

so if you are jake shields or who lifts weight, where do you get enough protein from as a vegetarian?? please enlighten me...

Whey, casein, eggs, milk, various legume sources..

Consider yourself enlightened.

Complete proteins I'd get from protein powders, eggs, yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese. I was more dependent on protein powders when I was a vegetarian; that's for sure.

Some eat tofu, and I did, although I wouldn't now if I returned to vegetarianism. I'd stick to fermented soy products only. Other plant-based sources are beans, certain vegetables, and you'll even notice protein in things like rice. Besides that, there are dozens of products from processed vegetable and grain proteins (I used to buy cans of "Worthington" products manufactured by Kellogg's). Just check out the vegetarian section in your local market; there's all kinds of cool stuff. Some of them contain soy, but usually it's a low amount...you just have to watch things.

Ultimately, your protein needs aren't nearly as high as the all the fitness mags would have you believe. If you can achieve just 15%, you can stay healthy and strong. Of course I personally prefer a higher ratio than that, but it's been proven to be more than adequate.

He absorbs protein transdermally through his opponents when he takes them down and lays on top of them for the whole fight.

Ultimately, your protein needs aren't nearly as high as the all the fitness mags would have you believe. If you can achieve just 15%, you can stay healthy and strong. Of course I personally prefer a higher ratio than that, but it's been proven to be more than adequate.

This can't be said enough. Protein recommendations by bro-science practitioners are extremely overstated. Most people can still pack on muscle with much smaller amounts of protein.

It is very easy to get plenty of protein being vegetarian using eggs, milk, protein powder as madmick mentioned.

Being vegan on the other hand would be much harder to get complete, whole food protein sources.

I also agree that as long as calories are met, one can still compete and have great results with lower than "bro science" protein levels.

Whey, casein, eggs, milk, various legume sources..

Consider yourself enlightened.

if you are truly vegetarian (vegan? i don't know the exact term......whatever the term is for if you eat no animals) then those things would be off limits

If you eat dairy and especially eggs it's not an issue.

There are also some good pea, rice and hemp-based protein powders out there.

Take amino-acids to supplement.

if you are truly vegetarian (vegan? i don't know the exact term......whatever the term is for if you eat no animals) then those things would be off limits

Milk is not an animal. It comes from an animal. Vegan is the term for someone who doesnt eat anything that comes from an animal.

my question is how you get enough protein to build muscles???
and no, please exclude soy protein which is known to increases estrogen( i know it's a debatable issue)...

so if you are jake shields or who lifts weight, where do you get enough protein from as a vegetarian?? please enlighten me...

eggs, beans (black, kidney, pinto), dairy, walnuts, whey (after training). I've put on strength without much size, but I haven't been training for size. I don't know what would happen if I started lifting in a bodybuilding way, except for feeling ghey.

quinoa I think is essential for any vegetarian diet, especially vegan diets since they are one of few complete proteins by themselves. they lack as much quality amino acids compared to animal products but combined with nuts/beans, they produce a good amount of complete protein for consumption.

Besides all the obvious ones mentioned; Hemp seed (thc free) is another great source of protein. Something like 20 grams per serving and is loaded with EFA's. Acai is another. I think Avacados have a fair amount as well.

The food preparation can take a little longer, but there are plenty of protein sources to utilize in a vegetarian diet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back