Jake Shields = Vegetarian MMA fighter?? where do you get protein?

While I'm adamantly opposed to ingesting any soy protein, tofu, or soybeans, I do use soy sauce, and several store cereals and breads that I consume are made with soybean oil. Should I shun these as well?

Dude, some people need to chill out. Eating a piece of tofu isn't going to make you grow tits.

Theres many ways of getting proteins: soy, almonds, spirulina, whey, etc.

2 grams of protein per POUND of body weight? It's amazing what some people believe.

Dude, some people need to chill out. Eating a piece of tofu isn't going to make you grow tits.

in "the china study," it says that the phyto estrogens from soy are weaker than the ones that our body produces, and when our body recognizes these weaker estrogens, it stops our body from using xenoestrogens (ie - plastics, pollution, etc) or regular estrogens, therefor reducing the chance of bitch-tits (i paraphraesd)

in "the china study," it says that the phyto estrogens from soy are weaker than the ones that our body produces, and when our body recognizes these weaker estrogens, it stops our body from using xenoestrogens (ie - plastics, pollution, etc) or regular estrogens, therefor reducing the chance of bitch-tits (i paraphraesd)
"The China Study" is one of the biggest pieces of horseshit ever written. Go see Entropy tear that rag a new menstrual cycle.

I was a vegetarian for 4 years. The diet had a profoundly negative impact on my strength and body (although I was still very strong relative to most people).

I was a vegetarian for 4 years. The diet had a profoundly negative impact on my strength and body

bush_doing_it_wrong.jpg

Please, son. I've probably forgotten more than you know about nutrition.

I wouldn't be so presumptuous to say no, but considering our last conversation about complete proteins, I would say unlikely.
emoticon-wink.png

Everyone was right about the sources of protein but here is the correct amount of protein needed.

You convert your body weight from pounds to kilograms by dividing pounds by 2.2

To Maintain: 1.2 -1.3 g/kg
To Build: 1.5 - 1.6g/kg
Gain Muscle and Lose Weight: 1.8-2.0 g/kg

So far from text book studies and lectures (I'm a Kinesiology [Sports Medicine] major) there is no advantage or need for an athlete to supplement beyond a small increase of protein intake. As long as your eating the Daily Recommended Intake of protein according to your body weight, as an average non-athlete there is no need for extra protein, and it easily is consumed in the right amount daily. But if you are an athlete or on a strict diet like many fighters or body builders are where they are consuming smaller portions of protein than the average person due to the caloric intake and proportion size, along with the building muscle that's where you see people taking extra protein.

the recommended is 0.45 to 0.8 g per kg. for endurance training, 1.2 g. 2g per pound, that's stupidly excessive.

Back