Jake Shields... Not his best moment

Discussion in 'Worldwide MMA Discussion' started by Texans, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Texans

Texans White Belt

Re-Watched the fight

1st Round - nothing significant happened no eye gouge just one elbow that cut Shields

2nd Round - The "eye gouging" does not appear to be egregious, at no point did I look and say wow he is digging in Jakes' eyes it looks like he is palming Jakes' forehead to create separation in which he landed some real nice elbows. Toward the end of the round is the only time i see his fingers on or in Jakes' eyes. It occurs when both fighters are moving (Rousmir palms his forhead Jake moves inadvertent eye pokes occur, like Jon Jones fingers in your face you move in to his hand type deal). 15:02 is a good example

[YT]<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sVbR0AuAN0o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/YT]

3rd Round - Nothing happens foul wise except for the hold which does look eye raising but not clearly horrible (given his history it looks bad on re-watch)

Jakes' voice is loud and whiny the whole 2nd round

2. YukisHeart

YukisHeart Brown Belt

3. BJ@LW&WW

[email protected]&WW Gold Belt

can i kick you in the balls in a non-egregious fashion

4. Texans

Texans White Belt

[YT]sVbR0AuAN0o[/YT]

5. Crazy Diamond

Crazy Diamond 2GM/c^2 belt

You can see it clearly at 11 minutes. Palhares digs his thumb into Shields' eye to get him off of him. Fuck that guy and fuck Mazzagatti. There was an event recently where the fighter was holding on to the cage and he had no clue because he was totally out of position. Neither of them should be allowed around professional MMA anymore.

6. NL MMA

NL MMA Blue Belt Platinum Member

Shields was done, he gassed out coming in the third.
    Palhares wasted no energy from the bottom, did a lot of damage to the body

7. YukisHeart

YukisHeart Brown Belt

You can't see shit. Palhares is pushing Jake's head away, and you're assuming his thumb is in his eye.

These assumptions are not necessary in, say, the Shields/GSP fight, where there are multiple gifs and stills of Jake thumbing and raking at Georges's eyes.

8. HHJ

HHJ Fedor Supremacist

why would he say it,if it not true?

9. YukisHeart

YukisHeart Brown Belt

Same reason he repeatedly thumbed and raked at GSP's eyes in their fight: to gain a tactical advantage in a fight he was losing.

Jake wasn't achieving anything from top position; just eating shots and getting his neck twisted around. The only way he was winning that bout was via maintaining his "dominant" position for three rounds, and if exaggerating some accidental contact with his eyes was going to help do that, that's what he was going to do.

10. electricfuneral

electricfuneral Red Belt

I need to avoid these threads to avoid being dubbed or banned.

I dislike Jake and I really feel like he was laying the groundwork for having some excuses in a fight that he was quickly losing steam in.

Jake knew he was gassing so he wanted palhares to get points off so he would be afraid to put his hands on jake's face on the ground. Jake got worked with some shots early in the round, went for a very deliberate takedown and got rolled. I think he started causing a fuss to take the heat off his cheap shot after the fight ended.

Jake is a good fighter but an even better careerist. Jake went into the ellenburger fight with all the publicity around his recently deceased father and was knocked out in seconds. He was given a free pass and got a what should have been a gimmie in semi retired Ed Herman.

Jake then went to middle weight, juiced up and controlled ed herman for three boring rounds, pissed hot and served his time. Jake is a cheater too. Palhares and shields were made for eachother. two dirty cheaters but really talented grappling aficionados.

11. theaterofdreams

theaterofdreams Orange Belt

This is just a case of judging someone based on reputation and past actions. Everything you see him do is viewed through that biased lens subconsciously.

Jon Jones's eye pokes are legendary but outside a few Sherdog posts no one gives a fuck

12. gohard305

gohard305 Blue Belt

he failed for marijuana jackass

13. osudude

osudude Red Belt

So because Jake did it Palhares is absolved of it?

14. Sohei

Sohei Manning the air

Exactly. Its a big joke. Noone is calling for Jones to be banned.

15. YukisHeart

YukisHeart Brown Belt

It's very clear and easy to prove that Shields did it. There's not really any evidence Palhares did. Where are the gifs, the still images? There's no smoking gun. That's the difference.

16. Finnish Fan

Finnish Fan Brown Belt

So, what's the penalty to Jake Shields for punching an opponent after the fight has been stopped?

We all know what happened to Paul Daley...

17. osudude

osudude Red Belt

Oh, ok. It originally looked like you're dismissing Palhares' (alleged) eye gouging because Jake did it.

18. ThatBJJGuy

ThatBJJGuy Brown Belt

the eye pokes were nothing

shields was done rd3 look how easy palhares had him in rd3

apart from holding the submission for 2 seconds and steve mazzagatti sleeping at the wheel it's not his fault.... jake tapped 5 times before steve even saw a submission....

its up to the ref to break it up not fighters.... this is a fight not a BJJ match

19. ThatBJJGuy

ThatBJJGuy Brown Belt

nothing because american fighters get away with anything

hendo and jeremy stephens get in punches after an opponent is KTFO and everyone cheers.... frank mir cranks a knee bar on lesnar who's tapping. no one says shit

20. Fresh Burek

Fresh Burek Black Belt

I really don't see eye gouging in that fight. I just see Palhares pushing his head away. Could a finger have accidentally went into Jake's eye during that? Sure. But I doubt he was doing it on purpose, as it would have been way more evident then. I think Jake is just looking for an excuse.

The sub is a bit questionable like all of Palhares subs though.