Jake Ellenberger's Mental Toughness.

Lost

Looking through
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'd just like to point out this video and the tony robins like coaching he had with the dry erase board on countdown to ufc 173, but the UFC made those videos private for some odd reason.

1:34 in. " I feel like a lot of people give him (Robbie) too much respect, in this sport you can't fight like that"

Mental midget, frontrunner, things are all great when he is winning and has momentum. Looks for a way out the second the opponent starts landing hard. He will never be champ and I don't ever want a champ like that. He has the same disorder as Overeem, Rory and Erick Silva.

Mental midget, frontrunner, things are all great when he is winning and has momentum. Looks for a way out the second the opponent starts landing hard. He will never be champ and I don't ever want a champ like that. He has the same disorder as Overeem, Rory and Erick Silva.

Ouch man harsh.

I think he does have a tendency to wilt but I think his body type (heavily muscled up top, short torso) tends to make him gas quicker, or maybe in general his cardio isn't where it should be, as well as his footwork, etc...

He impressed me when I first saw him in the Condit fight, and I think he has the potential to be a clear top 5, but he's too inconsistent. IMO he could benefit from a camp that could clean up his footwork and really drill home his cardio. Isn't he just training w/ his bro in Omaha?

hmmm... you know what? Ellenberger vs Erick Silva next would be fun!

I agree...all that U mentioned lack heart!:icon_chee

yeah he likes being the hammer and not the nail, guy has all the weapons needed as well but seems to beat himself mentally

People can talk all the shit they want- I would freeze up if one of those kicks were thrown at me. Never seen a welterweight throw heat in a kick like that- except maybe rumble johnson who we all know is not a real welterweight.

Its not like Ellenberger went after him in the second or anything till he fucked up his hand.

I wouldn't say jake is mentally weak but he has said things in interviews that make me question his mental toughness. Not to mention he was seeing a sports psychologist before the fight with lawler. He's gonna definitely have to make some changes. He hasn't looked good since he fought marquardt.

Rory arguably won round 1 and dominated Lawler striking in the 2nd and took him down and landed gnp. He lost round 3 pretty badly but didnt give up and tried to land some elbows at the end of the round, went for a submission.... Rory has never proven himself as a mental midget, he lived on his own in his teenage years, moved out to Montreal to just train at a better gym, fighting 4 killers in 1 year (Tyron,Lawler, Maia, Ellenberger)

Last edited:

You symbolize everything that is wrong with this forum.

How can you question his fortitude and say he wanted a way out? He took some hard ass shots and had more than one opportunity to go down before the third round you know. He got caught on the wrong side of a beat down and Robbie is known for delivering them.

It also applies to all of the guys you mentioned. It may come as a surprise to you, but ALL fighters have a sense of toughness that neither you nor I fully comprehend. Why? Because at the end of the day they willingly step into a cage knowing there is a good chance they will go unconscious.

After watching the beating Erick Silva took from Matt Brown, only a true keyboard warrior would sit back from the sidelines and say he looks for a way out when things don't go his way.

Maybe you think your tough, or maybe you haven't met or been around fighters enough to see what they go through. But at the end of the day the lack of respect from you and others is a cancer to this forum and gives everyone a bad reputation.

Last edited:

I don't think erick silva is nearly as bad about it as the other two. He tried to fight back against brown despite being too tired to function.

I wouldn't say jake is mentally weak but he has said things in interviews that make me question his mental toughness. Not to mention he was seeing a sports psychologist before the fight with lawler. He's gonna definitely have to make some changes. He hasn't looked good since he fought marquardt.

Yeah, exactly. I don't know what the block is, he comes off really confident when he talks but when it really matters he seems to freeze up. I mean he said Johnny Hendricks would be an easy fight for him.

Tbf he has probably been getting ragdolled by ronda in training so his confidence is shot

Jake needs to get out of his own head. He was pretty widely criticized for his gas tank in recent years but his build is never going to be well suited for endurance. Build your game plan around your strengths and stop fighting not to lose.

When he embraces the things hes good at - and takes some risks - he's a killer.

Silva doesnt wilt, he simply isnt very good.

I don't think erick silva is nearly as bad about it as the other two. He tried to fight back against brown despite being too tired to function.

Rory is a mental midget? :redface:
Mabye Overeem to some extent I guess...

rory is way too young to lump in there. he hasn't exactly looked bad in his losses. down the stretch he was clearly still trying to beat lawler--he doesn't lack for heart. he's young and he's not as experienced as condit/lawler--not shabby losses at all btw. and he dominated the fuck out of maia and embarrassed nate and bj. i despise the dude, his style, his persona. but he's 3-4 years away from his athletic prime and will surely be developing his skills along the way. dude will probably be a champion. i don't think a dominant one like gsp, but i bet he gets the belt by 30.

I think his striking is just not good enough to land on good strikers consistently. In a lot of fights he looks like he is not sure what he needs to do hit his opponent. He is also scared of gassing out after kampmann fight, so he ends up being a very low volume fighter.

idk whats next for Ellenberger...

Shields was a good top 10 win but other then that Condit,MacDonald,Kampmann,Lawler....not sure if he can handle the top 10 guys. He also had a bad third round agaisnt Sanchez...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back