Jadeveon Clowney or Shawn Oakman

Renegadewonder1

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Which player would you rather have on your NFL team? Clowney did nothing spectacular his first year in the league. Clowney is trying to recover from a tough knee surgery in order to get back on the field. It will be interesting to see if the Clownster has the self discipline and work ethic to recover from this injury and reach his full potential. Shawn Oakman is a massive dude, and I am surprised he is coming back to Baylor for 2015. Oakman already projects as a first round pick, so I guess he just feels he has more to accomplish at Baylor. Oakman is described as being raw by scouts but has great potential. Which player would you rather have on your team and why?

Oakmans Raw physical tools means he can just overwhelm College guys , though at 6'9" in the NFL I think it will be harder for him to play with Leverage against the better NFL lineman, Calais Campbell is about the same size and it took him a but to become the player he is now. For Clowney I worry if he is fragile both physically and mentally , has all the physical tools but questions about his dedication are legit , he does the bigger upside though

Clowney was easily the better college prospect and it's not even close.

Clowney was easily the better college prospect and it's not even close.

Yeah I mean they aren't even in the same universe as prospects

Seems like people just saw a picture of Oakman and assumed he's some incredible prospect

Other than looking at them from a physical standpoint, how is this even a question? The football play is not even remotely close.

Oakman simply because Clowney just had microfracture and wasn't doing shit before

Yeah I mean they aren't even in the same universe as prospects

Seems like people just saw a picture of Oakman and assumed he's some incredible prospect

I mean I get questioning Clowney after this year but if we're looking at them as prospects it's like comparing Andrew Luck to Aaron Murray.

Never even heard of Oakman until a few weeks ago...

I mean I get questioning Clowney after this year but if we're looking at them as prospects it's like comparing Andrew Luck to Aaron Murray.

It's impossible to say how Clowney will recover from the surgery so it's a strange OP.

And yeah, Oakman was considered a borderline 1st Rounder before he announced he was staying.

What scouts were saying:
An AFC South scout gave a tepid assessment of Baylor redshirt junior edge rusher Shawn Oakman to NFL.com.

"He has freakish size, but he's an average athlete and still so raw," the scout said. "He has good strength and violence at the point, but he's an average rusher who wins with length and not speed. I see him as a 4-3 left end who needs a lot of work. I'm not the only scout who feels this way either." Should he declare, Oakman is going to be amongst the draft's most fascinating prospects to monitor throughout the process. Not many players are called a top-10 pick by half, and a mid-rounder by the other half. The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reported Tuesday that Oakman had drawn "mixed reviews" in a poll of scouts. "While players get drafted early on freakish traits and pure projection all the time (see Dion Jordan), the issue for Oakman could be that he doesn't have the desired edge presence and athleticism as a pass rusher," opined NFL.com. "Rush ends are the ones who come off the board the earliest -- not power ends."

I will say this in Oakman's defense, since most of you seem to be discrediting him as a serious NFL prospect. In 13 games this year, Oakman had 51 total tackles, 19.5 tackles for loss, and 11 sacks as a junior. In 11 games from Clowney's last year in college, Clowney had 40 total tackles, 11.5 tackles for loss, and 3 sacks. Their stats are almost identical if Clowney plays two more games. Yes, I realize Oakman plays in the Big 12, and Clowney plays in the SEC, but that is another debate. I think Oakman has the tools in the toolbox to be a better pass rushing defensive end in the NFL than Clowney. Watt sat out his second year of college, and he is now the best defensive player on the planet.

I will say this in Oakman's defense, since most of you seem to be discrediting him as a serious NFL prospect. In 13 games this year, Oakman had 51 total tackles, 19.5 tackles for loss, and 11 sacks as a junior. In 11 games from Clowney's last year in college, Clowney had 40 total tackles, 11.5 tackles for loss, and 3 sacks. Their stats are almost identical if Clowney plays two more games. Yes, I realize Oakman plays in the Big 12, and Clowney plays in the SEC, but that is another debate. I think Oakman has the tools in the toolbox to be a better pass rushing defensive end in the NFL than Clowney. Watt sat out his second year of college, and he is now the best defensive player on the planet.

I'm not going to get into the Big 12 vs SEC thing as there's talent on both sides.

Stats only say so much here. Just look at the two prospects playing football. Clowney absolutely dominates his competition where as Oakman is not nearly as effective. Look at their hips, their burst off of the line, their swim/spin moves, etc. Clowney does a much better job here. Despite the size difference also Clowney still manhandles the tackle he goes against.

Another important factor here is how they are gameplanned against. It's not very common where a DE is a factor in a college offensive gameplan but it's pretty clear Clowney was. He was consistently double teamed and even triple teamed. That's dealing with injuries too.

I don't think anyone is discrediting Oakman, but you're comparing him to one of the best DE prospects to come out of college in recent history. It's just not realistic.

I'm not going to get into the Big 12 vs SEC thing as there's talent on both sides.

Stats only say so much here. Just look at the two prospects playing football. Clowney absolutely dominates his competition where as Oakman is not nearly as effective. Look at their hips, their burst off of the line, their swim/spin moves, etc. Clowney does a much better job here. Despite the size difference also Clowney still manhandles the tackle he goes against.

Another important factor here is how they are gameplanned against. It's not very common where a DE is a factor in a college offensive gameplan but it's pretty clear Clowney was. He was consistently double teamed and even triple teamed. That's dealing with injuries too.

I don't think anyone is discrediting Oakman, but you're comparing him to one of the best DE prospects to come out of college in recent history. It's just not realistic.

Markulous, I appreciate your constructive criticism, but I watched Clowney this year for the Texans. Clowney was single teamed and often times the tackle gained leverage on Clowney to block him out of the play. Clowney also took poor angles on plays and allowed the running back to gain more yardage. I realize Clowney is a rookie, but Crick was way more productive than Clowney. There is no doubt Clowney has the tools to be one of the best of all time, but does he have the work ethic and self discipline to use those tools? It is the same thing with Manziel with the exception Manziel would not be one of the best NFL QBs of all time. Call me crazy, but I think I would invest my money in Oakman over Clowney.

Markulous, I appreciate your constructive criticism, but I watched Clowney this year for the Texans. Clowney was single teamed and often times the tackle gained leverage on Clowney to block him out of the play. Clowney also took poor angles on plays and allowed the running back to gain more yardage. I realize Clowney is a rookie, but Crick was way more productive than Clowney. There is no doubt Clowney has the tools to be one of the best of all time, but does he have the work ethic and self discipline to use those tools? It is the same thing with Manziel with the exception Manziel would not be one of the best NFL QBs of all time. Call me crazy, but I think I would invest my money in Oakman over Clowney.

The comparison you're making isn't a fair one. You're comparing a injury-riddled and almost non-existent rookie year of Clowney to Oakman's best year in college. He was only active in 4 games and it's really hard to say how healthy he was in any of those. He didn't even have much of an offseason either with a groin injury (IIRC). If I was trying to evaluate him, I'd completely ignore anything that happened his rookie year.

If you're going to compare them then compare their collegiate careers since Oakman has yet to even play in the NFL and the level of competition isn't very comparable.

Clowney was said to be the best defensive prospect in ages. Oakman isnt even considered the best prospect in this class.

Aside from the physical attributes, how is this comparable?

Bc Oakman looks like a Madden create-a-player. Must be great.

There is a reason he's staying in school.

Also

Khalil Mack>both those cans

Also

Khalil Mack>both those cans

If Clowney comes back from this injury okay, it'll still be a tough task to catch up with Mack. Dude was dominant in college and had a great rookie season. He was my #2 prospect last year.

Id take anyone over clowney
The kids a quitter and he always has been
Still dont understand why people refuse to accept this

Id take anyone over clowney
The kids a quitter and he always has been
Still dont understand why people refuse to accept this

Hey Pete, I am on your side. People can't get over that one hit in the Michigan game. I would sign Oakmon over Clowney

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back