Product Overview

3844670981_aac8080406.jpg
3844859715_6ca6bbea94.jpg

Price. $80
Sizes. Medium(30-32);Large (33-35); X-Large (36-39); XX-Large (40-44) Inches
Colours. Black
Washing Instructions. Wash low (30oc) Tumble Dry; Low
Materials. 90% Polyester, 10% Spandex
Links. Guardian MMA Compression Short & Athletic Cup Protection System - Jaco Clothing

Product description & technical details

Designed specifically for MMA, the Guardian compression short and athletic cup system delivers unparalleled protection where it counts the most.
Heavy-duty impact Athletic Cup designed to minimize inadvertent strikes from kicks
Adjustable polypropylene straps provide a secure, comfortable fit
Leg pockets and 6 included pads provide variable training protection

First Impressions

Despite years of training I have never worn a cup before for training. The Jaco Guardian shorts are my first and will come in handy when I will compete in MMA or Muay Thai competition. On first impressions I was amazed at the shorts, they looked really good; nice solid waist band, good length, the cup felt solid and there were many velcro closures for support. On both outer sides of the thighs are pockets which contained the padding protection strips. Along with the shorts came a little bag with 2 extra pairs of protection.

On trying them on for the first time the shorts fit very well. The waist band is solid and tight while very comfortable and the length of the shorts rests 2-3 inches above the knee, they don't stick out of your MMA shorts, perfect length. On to the cup and securing it with the velcro straps

The Cup, Velcro closure and it's Fit and comfortability

After putting the shorts on and securing the cup with the straps I was suprised it was alot like a Muay Thai steel cup but instead of fasening strings you adjust the tightness of the cup with the 5 velcro straps. Two Straps at the front. Two at the back and one at the bottom of the cup going under all the way to the top at the back. The Velcro straps are very easy to move and take off the shorts but they stay secure.

The cup is in a secure pocket secured by velcro at the top it can be taken out. Within the shorts in the area of the cup is a soft stretchey lycra material. Wearing breifs under the compression shorts my junk felt comfortable against the cup and it all fit inside this area nicely. The Cup design is shaped and sized suberly.

I removed the two sheets of padding from the shorts for now not that they were a bad thing it's not something I need right now, especially when you're wearing Shin Guards for sparring. Maybe in the future I will put them back in and spar and roll with them in. If I decide to go Anderson Silva style and spar with no shin guards on. My one concern is would they be allowed for MMA competition or Muay Thai? I wouldn't like a referee to pad me down and find them as if I trying to gain an unfair advantage in protecting my thighs. Good thing they are easy to remove for comeptition purposes.

Perfomance in Training

As this is the first time for me wearing a compression short/ cup for training it was something new to get used to. Kind of like wearing a mouth guard for the first time.

As people have asked for this review ASAP I haven't had much time to really get a feel and gain experience of using the cup. This paragraph will be updated. I can say in Muay Thai sparring that the cup was no problem, I was able to move and kick great and the cup stayed secure and in place. I need sometime to comment on it for grappling.

Overview

The Jaco Guardian compression short and cup on first impressions looks great and is well designed. The waist band is tight and secure and the shorts have a good length. You secure the cup by tightening the 5 velcro straps which are very similar but easier than a Steel Muay Thai cup. The material of the shorts is stretchy and very comfortable. The cup stays secure and doesn't shift about. However I need more time to make a better judgement on these compression shorts.

The XX-Large is a little too small for me. Unless...maybe one for each testicle? But then what about my Johnson?

The XX-Large is a little too small for me. Unless...maybe one for each testicle? But then what about my Johnson?

I already ordered mine, They had me at "You can even put your wang in my cup and if you don't like it, ill give you a refund and pay return shipping" Jaco seems to be a cool company and the discount code they gave me will definitely make me a return customer.

I have mixed impressions with this cup. First I'll say that I use mine for bjj only. The first day that I used it, it was awesome. Forgot that it was even there. But the second day that I wore it, it bothered me so bad that I wore my shockdoctor for the rest of the week.

I chalked it up to not being adjusted right and was going to try the jaco cup again tomorrow when I noticed that it has a tear in the mesh near the bottom of the cup. I'm guessing that this is a defect and does not reflect on the quality of the product because the cup was only worn twice.

Anyway I am going to email jaco and see about returning it. I havent decided whether I want a refund or to just exchange it.

I have mixed impressions with this cup. First I'll say that I use mine for bjj only. The first day that I used it, it was awesome. Forgot that it was even there. But the second day that I wore it, it bothered me so bad that I wore my shockdoctor for the rest of the week.

I chalked it up to not being adjusted right and was going to try the jaco cup again tomorrow when I noticed that it has a tear in the mesh near the bottom of the cup. I'm guessing that this is a defect and does not reflect on the quality of the product because the cup was only worn twice.

Anyway I am going to email jaco and see about returning it. I havent decided whether I want a refund or to just exchange it.

interesting!!! i never wear a cup for bjj and tried it out under my kimono pants and hated it! cup plus baggy kimono pants = annoying

need more time to wear it under shorts

Jaco will sort you out !!

interesting!!! i never wear a cup for bjj and tried it out under my kimono pants and hated it! cup plus baggy kimono pants = annoying

need more time to wear it under shorts

Jaco will sort you out !!

I have to wear a cup. It seems my nuts have a bullseye painted on them because my cup saves me all the time. The funny thing is I thought about rolling without a cup the other day but just wore it instead and I got hit at least 2 times in that one session. And one of those hits was brutal but since I had the cup on I was all good.

I have to wear a cup. It seems my nuts have a bullseye painted on them because my cup saves me all the time. The funny thing is I thought about rolling without a cup the other day but just wore it instead and I got hit at least 2 times in that one session. And one of those hits was brutal but since I had the cup on I was all good.

how are you getting acciedently hit in the nuts at BJJ??? WTF??

Half the people I train with wear cups. You can sometimes end up eating a knee in guard passes. Compression shorts are enough for me though.

MC,

Send me an email here [email protected] and maybe we can get on the phone and discuss the defect on the cup system. I have not seen this issue with anyone else yet but if there is an underlying issue we want to fix it so hit me up buddy :)

Half the people I train with wear cups. You can sometimes end up eating a knee in guard passes. Compression shorts are enough for me though.

you need to get that de la riva hook in to stop that!! under the thigh stops the knee through the middle pass

In that one session I caught a knee when I was getting halfguard, and one of the guys at the gym has this technique he uses to take back when you try to pass his guard where one of his legs shoots between your legs and when he did that I got a solid kick in the nuts.

How hard can you get tagged and still be cool with the cup? I was so sold onto the nutty buddy, but Jaco is also very intriguing.

In that one session I caught a knee when I was getting halfguard, and one of the guys at the gym has this technique he uses to take back when you try to pass his guard where one of his legs shoots between your legs and when he did that I got a solid kick in the nuts.

damn!!! :icon_cry2 you better wear a cup!!!

im getting ready to try mine out today. I just wish Jaco would make some shorts that fit the cup sold individually and without the padding. i train 3-5 days and there is no way i can keep one pair of shorts clean and i cant afford to drop a few hundred bucks on compression shorts/cups. In another thread they said that they are in the works but i want em NNNNAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW!!!!:icon_twis

Ok i just got back from class and let me start out by saying that i usually don't wear a cup so i guess the value of my review is limited. I will say that for standing up/training Muay Thai this cup is ideal. It offers great protection from blows coming from down low like kicks and such(good taint protection). For rolling it was not bad at all, the only real issue i had was that it seemed like the cup would ride up a bit(Maby its my abnormally large testicles:redface:). I would guess that it is an adjustment issue and that i must not have had it adjusted tight enough. I always thought that it would be horrible changing to wearing a cup to roll but it wasn't really noticeable. I just felt a little guilty mounting people and putting my hips down(skydiving).

All in all i would say that this is a well put together, solid product. I also think its cool that Jaco wants to hear the pros/cons and try to improve. As for the price point i would say that I personally think it is a bit high considering the price of the shock doctor combo but when you go with a high end product, if you pay twice as much you don't usually receive twice as much value. Is jhonny walker blue 5 times as good as black label? No it costs five times as much but its about twice as good. Its like anything in life. If you cant afford to drink the blue the black is always there. I will also say that there are noticeable improvements that the jaco has that SD doesn't. Also the Jaco has considerable "flair" if you will.

How would you compare the thickness and protection of the jaco cup to a traditional steel thai cup?

Back