I've Just been Spazzed.... tapping etiquette???

showbizconnor

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi Guys......

Just got back from training and i've been well and truely spazzed by a guy in my accadamy who has been training since november ( nearly 6 months!) and he was rolling like we where in and MMA fight.

i was hit with an upkick while looking for possition in his guard, Punched in the face as he went for a triangle set up and then he near sepperated my shoulder with an armbar/omaplata.

i yelled in pain and he just kept kept cranking it intill my instuctor pulled him off,

his augment was that i yelled and didn't tap (which i did)...... was he correct to do this while rolling in practice??

i've only been training for a month or so but i'm trainig 5 times a week to his once or twice, i was trying to work posissions and transisions and this guy wanted to break my arm.......

what that all about???

It's best to yell "Tap! Tap! Tap!" to avoid any confusion.

However, in any case, crying out in pain no matter what you say qualifies as a verbal tap. So this guy should have let the submission go, especially in training.

He also should not have even been cranking it like that in the first place. Your instructor probably needs to have a talk with him.

However, in any case, crying out in pain no matter what you say qualifies as a verbal tap. So this guy should have let the submission go, especially in training.

He also should not have even been cranking it like that in the first place. Your instructor probably needs to have a talk with him.

I agree 100%. Talk to him about it. If he is too thick, avoid him.

Someone else will put him in his place or he will quit someday.

Ofcourse he should let go if you yell.He shouldn't have make you yell in the first place.

I got my ribs broken by a guy who jerks every submission with as much force as he can, and he's a strong one. Just hate those people.

If you feel unsafe when rolling with him, don't. You are new to the game, roll with people who are less likely hurt you.

Hi Guys......

Just got back from training and i've been well and truely spazzed by a guy in my accadamy who has been training since november ( nearly 6 months!) and he was rolling like we where in and MMA fight.

i was hit with an upkick while looking for possition in his guard, Punched in the face as he went for a triangle set up and then he near sepperated my shoulder with an armbar/omaplata.

i yelled in pain and he just kept kept cranking it intill my instuctor pulled him off,

his augment was that i yelled and didn't tap (which i did)...... was he correct to do this while rolling in practice??

i've only been training for a month or so but i'm trainig 5 times a week to his once or twice, i was trying to work posissions and transisions and this guy wanted to break my arm.......

what that all about???

the guy is an assohole... don't spar with him

sounds like you have a never back down, always finish, toughguy in the gym.

Whow thats a idiot. If someone yells when I roll with him I imidiately let whenever I got.

Wow 6 months and he stills rolls like that? I'm suprised nobody's talked to him about that. I can't imagine you're the only person he's almost injured.

Your instructor probably needs to have a talk with him.

Which talk is that?

the little talk that entails an armbar and a few pop pop pops of the capsule?

or the talk that revolves around the RNC and a little snoring?

or both?

just refuse to roll with guys like that. i'd also mention this to your instructor.

thanks for the feedback guys,

although the guy has beed training longer than me i think he's a bit stop start with when he attends so maybe the commitment to get improve isn't there??

we where acctully in a one on one privite leason with our instuctor watching so after he did let go of my arm i did have a few choice words with him and our instuctor did take him to one side and have a chat with him but i just wanted to post on the board to make sure the yell in pain was enough even if, as he claims he didn't feel the tap?

my shoulder is killing me now and i just hope i don't have to miss any class! :icon_twis

Yeah, something like that happened to me today. I was rolling and really exhausted, some guy had me in knee on belly, went for the armbar and then somehow bonzai dropped his knee into my solar plexes knocking the air out of me and cracking something... I yelled out and he kept rolling for the armbar as I laid there in pain. I just rolled my tired ass off to the side and started praying that I wasn't really hurt.

I sat off the next roll and started feeling fine. I don't want to make a big deal out of it, because it might have been an accident, but I'll be sure to stay clear of him in the future. Accidentally hurting someone is one thing, but you usually stop rolling and make sure your partner is okay, not continue to go for the submission.

Tools are everywhere. Just keep yourself safe.

You must crush him, see him driven before you, and hear the lamentation of his woman.

Does yelling out really count as a tap. Cuz this one guy i used 2 go against a lot would start yelling and making noises like crazy. and hten when some1 would seperate us he would be like i didn't tap. And it was kinda like dude u should tap either way. I mean ive made this dude pass out b4. But he is serious about not tapping. But its kinda cheap cuz he'll yell and then some1 will seperate us and then he'll whine so i'll go against him again and it's like now i jsut lost the submission so i have 2 basically start all over again

Does yelling out really count as a tap. Cuz this one guy i used 2 go against a lot would start yelling and making noises like crazy. and hten when some1 would seperate us he would be like i didn't tap. And it was kinda like dude u should tap either way. I mean ive made this dude pass out b4. But he is serious about not tapping. But its kinda cheap cuz he'll yell and then some1 will seperate us and then he'll whine so i'll go against him again and it's like now i jsut lost the submission so i have 2 basically start all over again

At every tournament I've competed at, if you cry out in pain during a submission, that counts as a verbal tap. The referee will stop the match and award the submission victory to your opponent.

YES yelling counts as a tap. These people are your training partners, everyone's main priority should be safety and improving their game. Sometimes there isn't time to tap or you're in a weird position, so i'd hope anyone i'm rolling with lets go of any submission if they hear me yell.
Also like i said before this isn't the world's or something, you've got to be a really asshole to keep cranking a submision after hearing your partner yell. It's not the end of the world if you lose, its just class, some people need to relax

Back