It's official: I'm going to China

sounds like a cool gig. Good luck.

I heard private schools teaching kids pay better than universities. Might wanna look into changing gigs when you hit the ground.

I know someone who got back a few months ago from teaching in some Chinese city no one's ever heard of. She seemed to have a good time but I don't see her clamoring to go back any time soon. Funny, she's not a native speaker and has quite a thick Russian accent, but the school hired her anyway and just told her to lie and say she was British. Lol China...

Good luck!

I worked in China for a year teaching English. I was travelling in Africa a few months and now Im heading back to China again. I taught English to kindergarten and primary age kids so my work experience was obviously very different from what yours will be. Should be there by next week if all goes smoothly.
Personally I like being there, its a nice amount of weird but it certainly takes some getting used to. Its cheap to live and the food is great. Crime is minimal, just a few scam artists in touristy areas.
I will say to check your contract very carefully and any changes to it are put in writing immediately. Schools are notorious for trying to get out of paying foreigners or not giving them holidays when due.

In reference to Vietnam, I travelled all through there and I never felt in danger at all.

I lived in Taiwan, its very similar to China. Chinese people will stare at you if you're some what handsome, they also don't care about personal space as much as we do so expect to bump into people a lot. They might sound like they're yelling at each other when they're having a normal conversation. They eat with their mouth open

Sounds like New York City.

I lived in Taiwan, its very similar to China. Chinese people will stare at you if you're some what handsome, they also don't care about personal space as much as we do so expect to bump into people a lot. They might sound like they're yelling at each other when they're having a normal conversation. They eat with their mouth open

The Taiwanese are a lot nicer than the Chinese in my experience, a lot more speak English as well. And the women are fucking great over there as well.

I'm 6 foot 2, white and kinda big (fat) and got stared at a bit, one little kid started pointing and laughing at me ha ha

Back