It's official: I'm going to China

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by NamelessMC, Sep 1, 2015.

1. NamelessMC

NamelessMC Black Belt

Cliffs:
    Lost my job, applied to a ton, didn't get any luck, considered going to China to teach English, people were like "stop being lazy, tard".
    In the end, a few things lined up that made it official.
    Nanchang Institute of Technology in Jiangxi providence of China.
    They're gonna give me an apartment with furniture, utilities, internet and even let me use their gym, library and stuff.

The deets:
    I relocated to Nashville for a post-graduation job, got a great offer, a month later I was canned. It sucks but I mean, they made a mistake hiring someone that needs training and realizing they couldn't afford to pay for training.
    I tried applying to a shit load of jobs in the area and got absolutely zilch.
    I really wanna do software engineering (I didn't ONLY apply to software jobs, I applied to anything I can do that pays enough to get me out of this hole, ended up getting a part time gig at a retail store) so I thought of doing a code camp like App Academy. Unfortunately they no longer provide live-work spaces so I would have to pay for housing if I did that.

So I'm going to just take the China job offer. I got a lot of offers, but I told myself to work for a public school because the hours would be relaxed and I can do a code boot camp with my time off. Public schools tend to provide apartments in convenient locations, relieving me from the financial burdens of finding an apartment/paying for three months rent, commuting to work, etc.

I am in the middle of an online code camp and have a start date for a physical one that would start when I come back. I'm going to try to pick up a second hand MacBook on Craigslist that I can use (Mac's are better for development due to easy Ruby access and a better terminal application) and that will be my "return home career preparation".

I'm going to talk about my life in China here, what it's like, what the locals are like and hopefully get serious about my fitness regime. It's amazing how fucking lazy you get when you're unemployed.

Also, any of you bro's live in China? I remember Hautamaki lived in China and someone here gave up on the US to go live with him but they both... Strangely disappeared.

I set up a GoFundMe to cover some of the initial expenses but I think if I put it up here, I could get banned.

2. Michaelangelo

Michaelangelo Okay USA Platinum Member

have you ever taught before?

if not, God bless you

3. Rum

Rum Champion of Champions

Nice one dude, you're at the perfect time of your life to go out and see some of the world.

4. NamelessMC

NamelessMC Black Belt

I was a conversation partner for Japanese, Korean, Chinese and Arabian students learning English at my University. I held private lessons, helped them with conversation functions, role practice, corrections, helped with their assignments.

I also worked as an assistant teacher for a high school English course when I was 19 (long time ago). I had a lesson plan, readings, milestones and book requirements. I also graded assignments, took special considerations for detecting learning disabilities.

The job is for me to teach conversation skills to university students, so it's not as demanding as working with young children or teaching writing.

5. ProBoxingInsidr

ProBoxingInsidr Banned Banned

i am guessing kids in china behave MUCH differently than american kids in school

6. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Red Belt

I lived in Taiwan, its very similar to China. Chinese people will stare at you if you're some what handsome, they also don't care about personal space as much as we do so expect to bump into people a lot. They might sound like they're yelling at each other when they're having a normal conversation. They eat with their mouth open

7. Michaelangelo

Michaelangelo Okay USA Platinum Member

I would hope so but those kids are smarter

8. Francis Rossi

Francis Rossi Here's a song for ya

Say nothing political :D

One of my sister's friends went there for a while, staying in a more rural area rather than a city. People openly pointed at the white girl and the local police chief was racist as fuck, to the extent his underlings were apologising to her after he'd say shit like her sort weren't welcome around there. Came home married with a baby. Marriage didn't last, as he couldn't be arsed to learn much English, preferring to work in Chinese takeaway kitchens.

I know someone who lives in Beijing, however, and he loves it there. He lectures on video game design at Beihang University (formerly Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics).

9. NamelessMC

NamelessMC Black Belt

This + they're University students. Most of the "kids" I'll be teaching will be between the ages of 19 and 22. At this point, I'm fairly confident they've both: figured out whether or not they give a shit about learning English and how to avoid learning it without being obnoxious.

But I'll be ready to give them a sad face sticker and call mommy/daddy to let them know what their kid is doing with their tuition money on English lessons if it comes to that.

10. zackryder

zackryder Long Island Iced Z Platinum Member

should prob stock up on air

[​IMG]

& avoid eggs & milk

11. dittohead84

dittohead84 Silver Belt

Was in Shanghai for a couple weeks 2 years ago, full of Chinese people...

Stayed with a friend who was teaching english there. What a bunch of degenerates those guys are

12. NamelessMC

NamelessMC Black Belt

I'm a bug on the wall as far as politics are concerned lol.

From what I understand, the only real "dangers" are in me being scammed/haggled and there isn't a particularly high danger of physical violence there, that true?

When I was considering Vietnam people said, "You could get cut with a knife for your cell phone if you're not careful".

13. MoparOrNoCar

MoparOrNoCar Black Belt

Do you speak Mandarin? Thats probably required.

14. TheGZA

TheGZA Excellent! But not good.

Your friends, or the locals?

15. NamelessMC

NamelessMC Black Belt

I think he's saying English teachers are degenerates. It's always great when people generalize a group of people.

16. method115

method115 Titanium Belt

Quick somebody post the China trump video that I've seen like 30 times today.

17. ConsiderThis

ConsiderThis Black Belt

I have been to China several times and will be going back to probably live in the future.

Don't date your students. There's millions of Chinese girls that'll be willing to date you, and dating your students is a good way to get fired. Just don't even think about it, no matter how willing they may seem.

18. Dizzy

Dizzy \[T]/ Platinum Member

My mom says there's a lot of black people in China.

19. Peteyandjia

Peteyandjia Winter Orchid Staff Member Forum Administrator

in b4 mysterious disappearance

20. Chesten_Hesten

Chesten_Hesten The Wiener of Steel

Beauty.

My wife's from Beijing. I visited the place in 2010. Connections are important in China. Goods vary in quality. beer can be watered down, etc.

Once you get over the Twilight Zone feeling of being in a China-town you can't drive out of, it's rather an impressive place. Culture for Ages, and you can see it in the people.

Good Luck.

Also Check out these movies before you go: