It's not only the time you spend, but the number of cycles you spend

elwani

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So I stopped Sherdogging for a few months and then started again around Christmas. One thing I learned from this sudden off and sudden on experience is that Sherdogging definitely makes the quality of my interactions with people in real life worse, and I wondered why.

Is it because I was spending less time with them and spending it here instead? No, because I was not taking away any time I spend with people in real life to spend it here. Is it because Sherdogging puts me in a bad mood? Again no, because I like being here and it usually puts me in a more humorous mood.

And then I realized what it is. It's the number of cycles of my brain that this takes up when I'm by myself and idle. Before in my idle time, without even specifically trying, I might just let my brain drift to thinking about people in my life. I might be thinking about something interesting that I need to mention to them the next time I see them. I might be trying to understand more deeply something I observed about them. If there was some kind of conflict, I might be thinking about how to resolve it. If the conflict is past, I might be thinking about how to recover a warm feeling for them. But after I began Sherdogging again, I realized it has invaded this idle time. I might be thinking instead about something funny that someone wrote here. I might be thinking about something fun or interesting I can write here. Or perhaps I am just chilling out here instead of being idle. So next time when I am interacting with a person in real life, I am actually much less prepared to interact with them and that makes the quality of the interaction poor, which diminishes the relationship over time.

I think this observation is useful because when we want to improve our relationship with someone, usually a first piece of advice we get is to spend more time with the person. But the amount of your idle time you spend thinking about them may be just as if not more important, and I feel that importance is overlooked. So suppose you're often very busy with work but you purposefully set aside an amount of time to spend with someone you want to be closer to, but then you don't spend any of the rest of the time thinking about them at all, it should be no surprise if the interaction in the time you set apart is low quality or turns to shit, because you haven't invested the cycles thinking about them.

Last edited:
So I stopped Sherdogging for a few months and then started again around Christmas. One thing I learned from this sudden off and sudden on experience is that Sherdogging definitely makes the quality of my interactions with people in real life worse, and I wondered why.

Is it because I was spending less time with them and spending it here instead? No, because I was not taking away any time I spend with people in real life to spend it here. Is it because Sherdogging puts me in a bad mood? Again no, because I like being here and it usually puts me in a more humorous mood.

And then I realized what it is. It's the number of cycles of my brain that this takes up when I'm by myself and idle. Before in my idle time, without even specifically trying, I might just let my brain drift to thinking about a person in real life. I might be thinking about something interesting that I need to mention to them the next time I see them. I might be trying to understand more deeply something I observed about them. If there was some kind of conflict, I might be thinking about how to resolve it. If the conflict is past, I might be thinking about how to recover a warm feeling about them. But after I began Sherdogging again, I realized it has invaded this idle time. I might be thinking instead about something funny that someone wrote here. I might be thinking about something fun or interesting I can write here. Or perhaps I am just chilling out here instead of being idle. So next time when I am interacting with a person in real life, I am actually much less prepared to interact with them and that makes the quality of the interaction poor, which diminishes the relationship over time.

I think this observation is useful because when we want to improve our relationship with someone, usually a first piece of advice we get is to spend more time with the person. But the amount of your idle time you spend thinking about them may be just as if not more important, and I feel that importance is often overlooked. So suppose you're often very busy with work but you purposefully set aside an amount of time to spend with someone you want to be closer to, but then you don't spend any of the rest of the time thinking about them at all, it should be no surprise if the interaction in the time you set apart is low quality or turns to shit, because you haven't invested the cycles thinking about them.
Have you ever met a flat earther?

Sherdog provides me with clarity and purpose. Since being a Sherdogger I don’t even speak to people who can’t bench teh 265 or who don’t bang 10s exclusively.

This is it, once you've been on the dog for a day it's difficult to converse with people in the real world.

I stopped reading at the part where you start being super lame and gay but can anyone tell me if it get better or still just super lame and gay for the rest ? Not trying to waste precious cycles

Part of it was gay, part of it seemed pretty straight.

I think it was a bi-cycle.

FWIW, your just about the only poster who drones on starting long threads that I actually read…You are refreshingly introspective..
As a child I was often told I think too much, this might apply here, just relax and have fun..

You would make a good politician.

You say smart things I don't quite understand in a convincing way, so I believe you and I would like to vote for you.
Most of what he says sounds like complete bullshit to me, so maybe you're right.

And then I realized what it is. It's the number of cycles of my brain that this takes up when I'm by myself and idle. Before in my idle time, without even specifically trying, I might just let my brain drift to thinking about a person in real life. I might be thinking about something interesting that I need to mention to them the next time I see them. I might be trying to understand more deeply something I observed about them. If there was some kind of conflict, I might be thinking about how to resolve it. If the conflict is past, I might be thinking about how to recover a warm feeling about them. But after I began Sherdogging again, I realized it has invaded this idle time. I might be thinking instead about something funny that someone wrote here. I might be thinking about something fun or interesting I can write here. Or perhaps I am just chilling out here instead of being idle. So next time when I am interacting with a person in real life, I am actually much less prepared to interact with them and that makes the quality of the interaction poor, which diminishes the relationship over time.

I think this observation is useful because when we want to improve our relationship with someone, usually a first piece of advice we get is to spend more time with the person. But the amount of your idle time you spend thinking about them may be just as if not more important, and I feel that importance is overlooked. So suppose you're often very busy with work but you purposefully set aside an amount of time to spend with someone you want to be closer to, but then you don't spend any of the rest of the time thinking about them at all, it should be no surprise if the interaction in the time you set apart is low quality or turns to shit, because you haven't invested the cycles thinking about them.

All that means is you're allowing Sherdog to cloud your idle time.
You're welcoming it into your daily life.

When im not on here, I don't think about it, because I'm doing other stuff.

It’s infinitely ironic, like the new Matrix movie
All true sherdoggers take the blue pill.

pills-drugs.gif

this-real.gif

FWIW, your just about the only poster who drones on starting long threads that I actually read…You are refreshingly introspective..
As a child I was often told I think too much, this might apply here, just relax and have fun..

Believe it or not, I am actually writing this because I think it might be useful to people, by helping people appraise the value of their idle time better and therefore make a better decision about how to spend it.

I think by default we tend to assign little value to idle time, and so we're often in a rush to fill it with some distraction like video games or social media. But suppose the above is true and that idle time is when we (consciously or not) think about the people in our lives which in turn determines the health of our relationships with those people. Then that idle time is actually immensely valuable (assuming you value relationships), and people might make a more informed decision about how to spend it if they were conscious of its value.

Last edited:
You would make a good politician.

You say smart things I don't quite understand in a convincing way, so I believe you and I would like to vote for you.

LOL if you wrote a wall of Latvian, I am sure I would understand it much less (however, I would continue to be suspicious of you)

Back