It's DC who lost the fight and JJ who won...

This is best thread. What was the name of the mod who went crazy after GSP murdered Penn?

I actually think Cormier should have been more focused on striking and letting his hands go and used his wrestling defensively and as a set up for his striking. Cormier wasn't missing a whole lot when he was moving his hands and he was getting into favourable range regularly throughout the fight. I'm saying this all in hindsight, though, and staying busy in a fight that grueling is not easy.

I don't understand why he kept stepping back out of range instead of working his way in. I understand he can't just walk through strikes to get there but I thought he would use a better strategy in getting in clinch range where he was having success roughing him up with dirty boxing and could have used his wrestling more effectively...Also gas...

IDK it's a testament to Jones distance control but I thought Cormier would be better prepared strategically. It's like he kept "resetting" himself at range on his own volition at times. Also, I think Cain would be able to pressure much more successfully as proved by the JDS fights. Cormier and Cain aren't the same fighters despite what most around here think. I picked Jones to win this fight but I thought it would pay out a little differently.

As you said though, hindsight etc etc.

Wow DC really struggled to apply that slam looks like his legs were gonna give out? And he sort of dropped Jon and he just snuck out quickly while DC was sucking wind on all four.

lol, so gus can take jj down, but dc can't. I think jj should go to the olympics because obviously he'll get the gold medal. Dude, i thought jones would do good, but take dc down twice and wear him out, and then get slammed in the 5th, does that make any sense to you? just look at the fight without bias.

perhaps you should take your own advice?

Jones won the fight in the 4th round, just like the Gustaffson fight.

Nothing was fixed here, that is just absurd.

Cormier got the takedown in the 5th just because he absolutely had to at that point.

If anyone is going to beat this guy, they will have to fight just as aggressively in the 4th and 5th rounds as Jones does.

If you let off the gas at all he will find a way to win.

Yeah, by poking him in his eye and grabbing the fence!

Eye-poke was barely that, and it was Cormier's gassing (which was already happening before it) that changed the fight. Also, Jones reached for the fence as an instinct, but immediately let go. Neither of those won him the fight.

You are an idiot.

Jones did all the right things to beat Cormier. Cormier didn't do the right things to beat Jones. I do agree that Cormier beat himself.

Did you MISS the part when Jones was shutting down his takedowns.

I didn't!

Jone did a awesome job.

I saw DC get out wrestled and neutralized. Jones was the superior wrestler that night.

That last take down was pure desperation, he had nothing for Jones and its as simple as that.

DC also said he was hurt by body shots, for him to say that he must have been been seriously bothered. His game plan went out the fucking windows

This fight shows you that styles makes fights, credentials do not tell the tale.

I don't understand why he kept stepping back out of range instead of working his way in. I understand he can't just walk through strikes to get there but I thought he would use a better strategy in getting in clinch range where he was having success roughing him up with dirty boxing and could have used his wrestling more effectively...Also gas...

IDK it's a testament to Jones distance control but I thought Cormier would be better prepared strategically. It's like he kept "resetting" himself at range on his own volition at times. Also, I think Cain would be able to pressure much more successfully as proved by the JDS fights. Cormier and Cain aren't the same fighters despite what most around here think. I picked Jones to win this fight but I thought it would pay out a little differently.

As you said though, hindsight etc etc.

Cormier actually had some good success at times when he attempted to counter Jones' counters as opposed to just covering up and resetting as you alluded to. The thing is, Cormier didn't pressure nearly as well as he could have, and I still think he was in good enough position to clearly win all of the first three rounds had he really made a concerted effort to work more (as it stands, he lost one, definitely won another, and then the third could have gone either way which isn't too bad, all in all). Now, that's not to say Jones wouldn't have adjusted to more work from Cormier, but Jones' success in the fight didn't come from countering Cormier's work, it came from getting off first with his kicks and body work as Cormier came in and that would have happened regardless of Cormier's workrate, I think.

A big part of this fight is that Jones seemed to be a little more comfortable in the trenches and was simply able to outlast Cormier fighting in the clinch (although, it needs to be pointed out that both did gas, Jones was just able to last a round longer). Being through the kind of war he in against Gustafsson is great experience that Cormier simply lacked. Jones' heart, toughness and cardio pulled him through and I think it was a much tougher fight for him than people realize. Cormier can improve in a lot of areas, but probably the most important area, stamina, is not something that is likely to improve as he is already midway through his 30s. Youth was a real advantage in this fight and will be an even bigger advantage should be rematch in the future.

edit: I just read Jones is on that Pernell Whitaker training regime. This is hilarious.

Cormier actually had some good success at times when he attempted to counter Jones' counters as opposed to just covering up and resetting as you alluded to. The thing is, Cormier didn't pressure nearly as well as he could have, and I still think he was in good enough position to clearly win all of the first three rounds had he really made a concerted effort to work more (as it stands, he lost one, definitely won another, and then the third could have gone either way which isn't too bad, all in all). Now, that's not to say Jones wouldn't have adjusted to more work from Cormier, but Jones' success in the fight didn't come from countering Cormier's work, it came from getting off first with his kicks and body work as Cormier came in and that would have happened regardless of Cormier's workrate, I think.

A big part of this fight is that Jones seemed to be a little more comfortable in the trenches and was simply able to outlast Cormier fighting in the clinch (although, it needs to be pointed out that both did gas, Jones was just able to last a round longer). Being through the kind of war he in against Gustafsson is great experience that Cormier simply lacked. Jones' heart, toughness and cardio pulled him through and I think it was a much tougher fight for him than people realize. Cormier can improve in a lot of areas, but probably the most important area, stamina, is not something that is likely to improve as he is already midway through his 30s. Youth was a real advantage in this fight and will be an even bigger advantage should be rematch in the future.

edit: I just read Jones is on that Pernell Whitaker training regime. This is hilarious.

Yeah, I saw it pretty much the same way. Going in to the fourth I had it practically dead even because the third was so close.

And link?

Back