Media It was not a headbutt *gif* Or was it?

Ehh, I don't know. seems odd to wait until he wobbles from a big punch ten seconds later before talking about it. I'm not even convinced that's a headbutt in the clip you showed-- looked like Brians head didn't make impact with anything until the left hand. It would be nice to have a better angle from the other side.
It was like 3 seconds after. The headbutt clearly stunned him and broke his nose. it was a hard headbutt from a guy with a gigantic head. Anyone who doesn't have a great chin would've gotten KO'd stiff by that.

they made it seem like they re-wound it on their monitors to check.

Yes they did.... And sometimes they do that really fast...

They had me believing....

Although I must admit as far a commentary goes I sorta wish Rogan was there to scream... "It's in TIGHT"

benefit of hindsight + heat of the action + who really gives a fack. Volk smeshed him to powdered shit.

Watch it with your eyes open? The headbutt landed before the left hand even came close to touch that chin.

I don't think that's true. You don't see impact on brians head until the left hand lands. Here's a frame by frame gif of the moment of impact and you can tell it's not from volk's head, and if you look closely their heads do look a few inches apart:

Br6VPX.gif

Well they can't see everything at full speed live.
Then they should stop making it seem like they can see everything at full speed and stop treating maybes as facts.

DC has this thing where he makes a big fuss about fouls in real time before anything is confirmed. The worst one was the Boser/OSP fight where he ruined the whole finishing sequence because he was absolutely sure Boser grabbed the fence.

"Oh Ortega was hit with a headbutt. How unfortunate" is not something you wanna hear in a great fight.

Well...if headbutts were legal like they should be....

Then they should stop making it seem like they can see everything at full speed and stop treating maybes as facts.

DC has this thing where he makes a big fuss about fouls in real time before anything is confirmed. The worst one was the Boser/OSP fight where he ruined the whole finishing sequence because he was absolutely sure Boser grabbed the fence.

"Oh Ortega was hit with a headbutt. How unfortunate" is not something you wanna hear in a great fight.

As @Fesaine mentioned above, they may be referring to a combo that happened about ten seconds before, but I just watched that frame by frame and it's hard to tell. Looked like a left hand to me, but this one is really hard to tell so I can't blame anyone for thinking it's a headbut-- I really don't know from that angle.

I don't think that's true. You don't see impact on brians head until the left hand lands. Here's a frame by frame gif of the moment of impact and you can tell it's not from volk's head, and if you look closely their heads do look a few inches apart:

Br6VPX.gif
Look i like volk but you can clearly see volk head-butted Ortega before the left hand hit him. Ortega's head already got snapped back before the left hand connected.

Yes, that was odd. I'm guessing there was a guy feeding them that information as opposed to them looking at the footage themselves.

Look i like volk but you can clearly see volk head-butted Ortega before the left hand hit him. Ortega's head already got snapped back before the left hand connected.

Dude, I watched it frame by frame and showed the you the frame by frame moment of impact. It looked like ortega tried to turn away from the left hook, then got hit by it. It's not clear. a camera angle from the other side would be clear. We'll have to respectfully disagree here. I'm also not sure why they'd talk about this ten seconds later after a big right hand rocks him.

TS I could be wrong but I think they were referring to something that happened very shortly after that punch.

Edit:
I didn’t see any headbutt either. But I believe there was an exchange after this one where it was brought up. I could be wrong.

You been hitting the proper 12 or what ? There's no clash of heads there

TS I could be wrong but I think they were referring to something that happened very shortly after that punch.

Edit:
I didn’t see any headbutt either. But I believe there was an exchange after this one where it was brought up. I could be wrong.

There was one 8 seconds earlier. I edited my original post. I'm not sure that one was a headbutt either, but there's definitely debate and I can see why a lot of people would think that.

Dude, I watched it frame by frame and showed the you the frame by frame moment of impact. It looked like ortega tried to turn away from the left hook, then got hit by it. It's not clear. a camera angle from the other side would be clear. We'll have to respectfully disagree here. I'm also not sure why they'd talk about this ten seconds later after a big right hand rocks him.
This look like turning away from punches to you??

Unless you're saying that Ortega can suddenly snap his head back while throwing his punches.

Pretty clearly ortega got caught with that counter overhand right and was unprepared and walked into Volk coming back to neutral stance center of gravity with his head. Really no way to avoid headbutting ortega unless he let his momentum carry him left but who knows what danger ortega could have like a right head kick or knee coming and his instincts simply took him back to center.

Ortega is as much to blame for walking into volks face without initiating clinch or something like that.

I found the moment that the commentary team were referring to and slowed it down:

K8Qg1Y.gif

After this punch that hurt Brian, the commentary went on for about 40 seconds about how it was headbutt and that it's a shame that brian has all that damage now from an accidental headbutt. That was clearly NOT a headbutt.

*EDIT*

Fesaine has brought up that they may have been talking about a combo that happened before this:

Looked like brian tried to roll away from the left hand then got hit by it,but I don't know. Hard to tell from that angle. It could very well have been a headbutt.

Br6VPX.gif

Volk has some great hands on the inside. That combo was tight. I would love to see him box with max on the inside in their next fight. I reckon Volk would light him up to be honest. Max is great at range, but Volk could draw max in and land clinch takedowns off it. We all saw the panic on Max's face when Volk got a hold of him.

Yeah I think they meant the previous exchange, they were just slow to call it. I don't know man, we need a better angle.

I think Herb Dean made the call, you can see he seems to make signs for someone on the outside.

View attachment 882005

Absolutely no headbutt. They are inches from one another, but, Volks hand clearly smashes Brian right on the button.

Ortega fans on suicide watch.
No the head snaps back first from the headbutt then then punch. You can see Ortega's head respond to both the headbutt and the punch, Ortega got hit by both. Probably would've knocked out other fighters getting 2 quick hard consecutive blows like that. Shows Ortega's chin is solid.

You have to watch the actual motion, most people's eyes will miss it.

Back