It is 2020, why is there still a lot of hate for wrist locks?

GnPFury

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
So last month I was rolling with a friend of mine and I went for a wrist lock. I did not get the submission and the roll went on. After the roll, my friend asked if I had attempted a wrist lock on him. I said I did at which point he proceeded to give his opinion that he thought they were 'dirty/cheap' techniques. I don't agree with him, but in the interest of keeping the peace I said ok and made a mental note not to use wrist locks on him in the future.

Since that time I've subtly probed some of my team mates about their opinions on wrist locks. For example, I might ask if they saw the new BJJEE article on wrist locks. It surprised me to learn that a significant percentage (> 50%) think they are 'cheap/dirty' techniques. Maybe this is just the attitude at my school, but I'd like to know what others in the community think. Note that in my 15 years of training I have never heard my instructor denigrate wrist locks so if it is a prevailing attitude at my school I do not know where it came from.

I don't think they are good moves because they wouldn't really end a fight, the guy would let his wrist get fucked up and keep fighting.
I would still tap during training and if you make me tap in any way I consider it legit (Theoritically, I haven't been tapped by w wrist lock in a loong time) and wouldn't say shit to you.

I don't think they're cheap or dirty , but I don't like them because they can inflict a lot of damage very quickly.

My wrists are slightly fucked from a combo of skateboarding and too much computer use, so I always feel very vulnerable when they're being put on. There's a brown belt at my gym who's currently obsessed with them and hits them from everywhere. If I'm being honest, I'd prefer he didn't but I don't actually care. I just tap very quickly and then laugh at his sneaky set up.

My problem is when guys put them on hard and fast. They're like a heel hook in the sense that they're isn't a lot of room for error. I've also been hit with wristlocks where they trap you with their entire bodyweight on your wrist. I had an ultra heavy weight do it to me. Not fun.

Also, I think there's an argument to be made that wristlocks are a form of small joint manipulation.

But ultimately I've never actually complained about it.

When training(not a competition) it depends on how the wrist lock is being applied that can be considered cheap or dirty imo

At our gym we had a guy who mixed his training with us and a gym in another city because of his work, and he’d wristlock ppl a lot while rolling, but never fast he’d basically set it up and let you know it’s there, and no injuries which is how I think they should be done in the gym.

But the owner/head instructor at our gym recently decided to start using wristlocks and he cranks them as hard and fast as he can, and it really only works on people smaller than him when he can overpower them to hold an arm still. Imo that’s when they get considered cheap or dirty.

I don't think they are good moves because they wouldn't really end a fight, the guy would let his wrist get fucked up and keep fighting.
I would still tap during training and if you make me tap in any way I consider it legit (Theoritically, I haven't been tapped by w wrist lock in a loong time) and wouldn't say shit to you.
In the short time I've tried using wrist locks, I noticed that I'm not very good at getting submissions with them, but they are good for altering my opponents strategy. For example, my opponents don't try and grab my gi lapels when they are trying to break open and pass my full guard due to the possibility of being wrist locked.

When I use a wristlock to jar someone who has taken my back and has really good hooks, instead of a more proper escape - I feel its a bit cheap, but maybe still valid. The reality is, the potential for a wrist lock is there ALL the time when your opponent is defending a more traditional attack too well for you to finish. They can be a good plan C when plan A or B has failed. Or at least a way to throw a wrench in someone's plan who is trying to pass or setup attack on you. My coach wristlocked me my first month and still does occasionally, but I've always had time to adjust or tap. Never been hurt.

When training(not a competition) it depends on how the wrist lock is being applied that can be considered cheap or dirty imo

At our gym we had a guy who mixed his training with us and a gym in another city because of his work, and he’d wristlock ppl a lot while rolling, but never fast he’d basically set it up and let you know it’s there, and no injuries which is how I think they should be done in the gym.

But the owner/head instructor at our gym recently decided to start using wristlocks and he cranks them as hard and fast as he can, and it really only works on people smaller than him when he can overpower them to hold an arm still. Imo that’s when they get considered cheap or dirty.
How do you feel about other submissions being applied hard and fast? For example an arm bar or leg lock. Do you think applying those submissions fast is dirty/cheap or does it only apply to wrist locks?

I would tap to wrist locks since I'm just a mid 40's old fart that trains grappling as a hobby. But has anyone ever tapped to a wrist lock in a MMA fight?

I prefer heel hook all day.

I would tap to wrist locks since I'm just a mid 40's old fart that trains grappling as a hobby. But has anyone ever tapped to a wrist lock in a MMA fight?

I prefer heel hook all day.
Well their hands are wrapped so it's a little different in MMA

How do you feel about other submissions being applied hard and fast? For example an arm bar or leg lock. Do you think applying those submissions fast is dirty/cheap or does it only apply to wrist locks?

I don’t view them the same, with arm and leg locks, even with someone applying it fast I can usually defended it for a bit, at least long enough to tap without risking injury, with wristlocks I just find there’s less give.

Mind you that’s just my personal experience with them, not saying I’m right.

wrist locks are slightly dirtier in a sense than other submissions because a solid setup or position isn't always required. Armbar, chokes, leg locks need quite a bit of positional dominance before applying. With wrist locks, you can basically grab a hand or wrist from anywhere, then squeeze and twist as hard as you can. You may not get a tap in that. time but you may cause your training partner to be sore or hurting a few days after the roll

I know 2 guys-one is a musician and the other is a surgeon. They both need their hands for specifically to work skilled jobs. The last thing they need is some idiot grabbing their wrist/hand and going ham on it. They are pretty hardcore BJJ enthusiasts who are okay with most techniques and are competitive at the masters level as brown belts. When they roll, if anyone goes apeshit with wrist locks on them. they will not train with that person again. I completely understand their viewpoint.

I'm a reformed Aikidoka. Wristlocks are great, when executed with discretion from a position of control. I think there's space for a minor renaissance in wrist attacks that compliments a kimura meta substantially. When BJJers at large become literate with nikkyo and sankyo you'll see some cool stuff.

I look at people who go for the standing Jacare Souza-style standing wristlocks like guys who rip heel hooks. In high-level competition, maybe, but there's no much of a place for that at the hobbyist level.

A good rotating wristlock will end in a bad year rehabbing a spiral fracture of your radius and ulna.

I use the FUCK out of some wrist locks.
My team mates know that if its there, I'm taking it unless they ask me not to ahead of the roll. Of course, I apply them in a controlled manner. If you get wrist locked its because you're being careless.

PRIZON RULEZ!!! Why would you ignore .3% of your body?

Easy to fuck someone up with it like heel hooks. There are places now that won't teach the shit until a person gets to the belt level where they are legal in competitions. Reason being a person at a higher belt level should be able to wrist lock someone smoothly and ease into it.

Wrist locks are legit, but in the hands of the clueless they cause much unnecessary wrist suffering. Use them with control and caution and they are awesome. Use them with speed and abandon and you earn yourself a trip to Smashville, population you.

i consider them small joint

and the injury that comes with

Back