It is 2020, why is there still a lot of hate for wrist locks?

Yes, that's obvious. But the question is, has anyone ever been wrist locked in MMA yet? I seriously don't think that happened before.
its bene illegal since 2001 to use them at least in usa

I don’t consider them cheap or dirty techniques, but if a training partner asks them not to be used in sparring, I respect it. Wrist locks come on quickly and can sometimes injure before the person has a chance to tap. On top of that, a wrist injury can be extremely disruptive in one’s day to day life.

So, when I go for wrist locks in training, it’s almost always just quick catch and release. I don’t even wait for a tap usually. I treat them pretty much the same as I treat heel hooks in nogi.

I'm a reformed Aikidoka. Wristlocks are great, when executed with discretion from a position of control. I think there's space for a minor renaissance in wrist attacks that compliments a kimura meta substantially. When BJJers at large become literate with nikkyo and sankyo you'll see some cool stuff.

I look at people who go for the standing Jacare Souza-style standing wristlocks like guys who rip heel hooks. In high-level competition, maybe, but there's no much of a place for that at the hobbyist level.
This is very true, Akikido spiral wrist locks are everywhere though back escapes is about the only place i can get them to work for me.

The problem with the wrist press/cow-hand type of wrist locks is like knee bars there is no way to make people tap beyond applying enough pressure to potentially injure people. This means people ignore them unless you slam them on which isn't the way you normally want to train. The spiral ones you can't ignore and people can apply them in slow-motion and you're still going to have to tap.

If you're okay with heel hooks then you better be okay with wrist locks.

It's a weird game breaker. Part of the concept of BJJ is to keep the art focused on the Gracies. But wrist locks are strongest with a Shaolin frame. Check any of their instructionals. So out they go.

This is my thought too. Leg locks, especially heel hooks, were considered dirty when I started in 2005 but now are seen as legit. So why aren't wrist locks given the same treatment? Heel hooks will cripple a guy worse than a wrist lock in my opinion. My guess is that they aren't legit/cool because noone has developed an effective system for them like Danaher did for leg locks.

This is my thought too. Leg locks, especially heel hooks, were considered dirty when I started in 2005 but now are seen as legit. So why aren't wrist locks given the same treatment? Heel hooks will cripple a guy worse than a wrist lock in my opinion. My guess is that they aren't legit/cool because noone has developed an effective system for them like Danaher did for leg locks.

Honestly, I don't think Danaher was the first to develop the system. Leg locks were working well before that, to the same extent.

With wrist locks the system has been written. Just no one uses it.

No such thing as cheap. Just respect your partner if they have injuries or fear certain moves and roll on.

spiral wrist locks are everywhere though back escapes is about the only place i can get them to work for me

When handfighting to break the standard figure-four armbar defense you can reach in thumb down and grab the blade of their hand for sankyo. If you can get that grip, just lean back and pull into the armpit. I have a 100% finish rate if I can attain the grip. It's also available in a couple forms every time you have a kimura grip and they're not making a fist.

When handfighting to break the standard figure-four armbar defense you can reach in thumb down and grab the blade of their hand for sankyo. If you can get that grip, just lean back and pull into the armpit. I have a 100% finish rate if I can attain the grip. It's also available in a couple forms every time you have a kimura grip and they're not making a fist.
Sorry EDGM i can't for the life of me picture what you're describing. So you're sitting on my right with you attacking the armbar on my right arm and i'm doing the RNC arms folded defence i assume when you say figure-four. What happens next...? :)

Yes, that's obvious. But the question is, has anyone ever been wrist locked in MMA yet? I seriously don't think that happened before.

in a fight with punches, wristlocks would be really hard to apply with the exception if a solid top position

In grappling without punches, there are a good number of positions in which some idiot could just grab your wrist/hand and just crank as hard as possible. none of that would really happen if the opportunity to punch from the top was allowed.

not quite....I know a hand surgeon who makes close to 7 figures a year. He does specific and skilled work with his hands.

He is completely fine with heel hooks. But any idiot who even once attacks his wrists/fingers is something he is not okay with in the slightest

Back