News Israel Adesanya says he is "not going to fight for a long time" as he plans an extended UFC hiatus.

Israel Adesanya
plans to take an extended hiatus from MMA competition after he lost the UFC middleweight title to Sean Strickland.

Adesanya (24-3 MMA, 13-3 UFC) has been among the most active fighters on the roster over the past several years with five championship bouts over the past 20 months. He’s relished the chance to frequently grace the octagon, but felt it has started to catch up, and that was reflected in his massive upset loss to Strickland to drop the 185-pound belt at UFC 293 in September.

“Before this fight I was very like, ‘I know I’m on the back end of my career, so I want to do as many as I can because I know I’m done with this I’m going to miss it,'” Adesanya said on “The Rock” podcast. “I’m trying to do as much as I can. But after this fight, and again, 14 months and four fights, it’s not just the fights, it’s the training and everything. I had injuries going into the (Alex) Pereira fight, you’ve seen that. I don’t make any excuses. Strickland got me on the night because he was the better fighter on the night. He did his work well. He had a good team behind him.

“Now I’m going to take time to look after myself, and I’m not going to fight for a long time. I’m definitely not going to retire because I know me – I’m not leaving like that. I know me. But if I did, I’m fine. I don’t need to prove anything else. But I know what I can do and what I can change in my lifestyle to make my body adapt to where I need to be. I’m going to heal myself up. You won’t see me fight for a long time.”

Adesanya didn’t offer an exact timeline or potential opponents for his return. The 34-year-old felt now was the right time to step away, though.

After the title loss to Strickland, it was revealed Adesanya had been pulled over and charged with drink-driving just 18 days prior to UFC 293. He apologized for his poor decision-making, and vowed to improve himself going forward.

Adesanya said he’s embracing the chance to sit on the sidelines, especially if it gives the chance for his good friend Kamaru Usman to make a run at the middleweight belt. Usman will fight Khamzat Chimaev on 10 days’ notice as a replacement for Paulo Costa at UFC 294 next weekend in Abu Dhabi, and UFC CEO Dana White has said the winner will fight Strickland for the belt next.

He isn’t sure if the UFC made a call to have him fight Chimaev on short notice, but Adesanya said he wouldn’t have taken it, anyway.

“I’m sure they called my team up and my team said, ‘He’s not fighting right now,'” Adesanya said. “‘Cause that would’ve been cool.”

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2023...a-not-going-fight-long-time-retiring-from-mma
Damn

B6X_BI7CEAA-I37.jpg
it looks like he's on the encyclopedia metallum hahahahahah

Truly a sad day in MMA

His even though his greatness won’t truly be appreciated till years later he will be missed.

One of the most inspiring and captivating fighters in the history of the sport.

IZZYbless
<mma1><mma1><mma1>
Your boy threw his toys out the cot and ran off after 1 embarrassing defeat.

In saying I think Izzy completed his own mission after he beat Potan, he had affectively won his own grandfinal.

That’s cool. He needs some time. It’s not fun to prep 5 round fights all the time. He probably has a ton of injuries and other personal issues

That’s cool. He needs some time. It’s not fun to prep 5 round fights all the time. He probably has a ton of injuries and other personal issues
Looking at Izzy id never think he has any personal issues

Might be a wise choice and plus we get to see other fights instead of another b******* rematch

What losing to Strickland does to a mf
Or what fighting consistently back to back does to you. At some point you will need a break.
Motherfuckers want fighters to fight 24/7 to just to satisfy their boring life lol

Wait so Strickland not only took the belt off the dog-groping goof but he's also making him contemplate his whole MMA career, and guaranteeing we won't see him for a long time?

Sean Strickland is legit the MMA MVP this year.

If this was some rank squatting diva who took the belt of Izzy I'd be mad but Sean fights all the time so we're fine. To be brutally honest he probably won't keep the belt for long anyway, even though I'm cheering for the guy vs everyone else.

i just hope Strickland can beat the same guys that Izzy beat (assuming they even get title shots)

It wouldn't feel right seeing Rob, Vettori, Cannonier etc with the belt when we all know they couldn't, and would never beat Izzy.

He seemed pretty burnt out in the presser before the Strickland fight. Then again, he isn't a spring chicken and taking a long time off might be unwise if one gets out of shape.

Knowing Izzy it won’t be too long before he’s back on his knees.

Very understandable, but man 34 years old is unfortunate timing to take a prolonged hiatus, especially with his style.

I’d imagine that besides his busy schedule, the general stress of being a long-time defending champ, and his stressful Poatan saga, that besides all that its hard to be in that phase of your title reign where you are beating guys everyone is expecting you to beat, wins that you get almost no credit for, but its still tough guys who are still elite and you need to be motivated and locked in for.

Like he was expected to easily beat Strickland and beat DDP, and if he did he would have gotten very little credit for it, even though they are both great fighters who are clearly a lot better than people thought.

He's 35

It seems like an out of left field thing

But it's really not

He's old man. And he's been fighting forever.

Izzy gonna do a run-in on the Khamzat / Usman match and try and nail Khamzat with the steel chair.

So obvious.

Back