Isometric exercises?

B

Brand Nizzel

What are the Pro's of isometric exercises relative to strength and conditioning, from an athletes view point (fighter), not power lifter or etc. I tried using search function but nothin came up because the search function sucks

I'm using them for shoulder stabilization.

They're also good if you're training for the "Here, hold this" Olympics.

Ross Enamait advocates Isometrics for fighters. You can specifically target punch positions, and you can train it often as it is not too hard on the CNS.

They also don't take up much time at all and can be tacked on to the beginning of pretty much any workout.

Ross Enamait goes on to say a great deal about them in this books, citing a bunch of research and stuff, but he doesn't really show when to schedule them in this routine.

Ross Enamait advocates Isometrics for fighters. You can specifically target punch positions, and you can train it often as it is not too hard on the CNS.

They also don't take up much time at all and can be tacked on to the beginning of pretty much any workout.

Do you have a link to this or is it in one of Ross's books? I'm having a hard time seeing how that would be worth doing. I'm curious on the context that he recommended it.

Do you have a link to this or is it in one of Ross's books? I'm having a hard time seeing how that would be worth doing. I'm curious on the context that he recommended it.

It's in Infinite Intensity. Let me look through it and paraphrase some...

A study by Hettinger and Muller established that strength increased roughly 5% per week over 6 weeks of isometric training.

One reason for improvements is enhanced activation of motor units, it's much easier to recruit your motor units during isometrics. Also you're able to maintain muscle tension for several seconds, which is not the case for dynamic exercise. You can also target specific joint angles, making it good for overcoming sticking points.

He points out recent studies that show strength increase over 15-20 degrees on either side of the isometric position, and points out that you can overcome this limitation by training several angles (ie: short punch, mid-range punch, long range punch).

He advocates short durations (3-6 seconds) for power increases. With an example in punching, he says to do each angle for each punch (ie short jab, mid jab, long jab) for 3 seconds, rest briefly, then throw the punch dynamically 10x (10 double jabs at full speed/power).

As far as programming goes, he simply says you can use them as a mini-workout, as you should not do them more than 10 minutes. I like to do them with my grip training, before conditioning work. However I haven't been doing them long enough to say whether I will continue to use them or not.

edit: Ahhh fuck you found something after I had started typing that up. You'd better read it!!

What is the aussie death carriage?! Can someone catch me up please haha

The major limitation of it only giving strength gains at a certain muscle length is irrelevant if it was applied to a submission.

Example Rear Naked Choke, Brabo, body triangle you name it and you can increase your strength significantly in that specific position, so finishing opponents would be easier. Also reduces the risk of the opponent escaping.

edit: Ahhh fuck you found something after I had started typing that up. You'd better read it!!

:D I read it, man. Thanks for the effort! I appreciate the response regardless of my mad Google searching skillz.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back