Isn't it funny how the 1 thing PRIDE vs UFC nerds agreed on was Spider was overrated?

Get off FighFinder...

2qcighv.gif

2w69gte.gif

Maia also went for finishes (watch the fight, you might learn something). Major credit under PRIDE rules.

Hiding behind the ref...not so much. YELLOW CARD. Avoiding the opponent (Anderson running away like a schoolgirl for much of the last 2 rounds) is also illegal under UFC rules, but for some reason refs allow Anderson to cheat all the time.

lol Silva danced for 25 minutes and busted up Maia. Maia had nothing whatsoever to offer him.

Silva was pissed with the UFC because he wanted to box RJJ and Dana basically said he wasn't good enough to box him, then gave him Maia. That's why he acted like a dick lol.

Anderson kept getting better and better as time went on to become the GOAT

Fedor was the Goat but stayed the same and never improved until the sport itself evolved past him.

You're right, but Fedor's reign started a bit earlier and it wouldn't be surprising if Silva eventually grew as disinterested as Fedor and started neglecting his training.

Fedor is still the GOAT.

Amazing athletes like JDS only help prove that point. People underestimate how hard it is to not lose a fight at HW for as long as Fedor did. Guys that big only need to touch your chin. Oh yea and....Pride never die!

Spoken like a truly delusional fan.

The problem with Fedor is that he fought about 5 meaningful fights in his entire career.

God some people have a difficult time with writing. TS, if everyone was saying that Anderson was going to get his ass whooped in the UFC, wouldn't that in fact make him UNDERrated and not OVERrated? I mean you can hardly be overrated if no one is hyping you up.

Also it isn't even true, I was on these boards when he fought Leben and the consensus was that he was going to kick Leben's ass. The Franklin fight was when he had detractors, but still a lot of people thought he would beat Franklin too. Just no one thought he woul go on a 132 fight win streak

The problem with Fedor is that he fought about 5 meaningful fights in his entire career.

So true. If only he had beaten genuine top level fighters like WWE superstar Brock Lesner or UFC HW GOAT Tim Sylvia.

wow looking at Maia-Silva gif.

Silva is soo much bigger it's hilarious LOL.

Looks like he had solid 20 pounds on Maia

One thing Anderson has never really done is engage a top level grappler in the UFC. In his fights against Maia and Leites he was very stand offish.

lol, he beat sonnen 2x (who probably has top3 mma wrestling in all of mma), and okami (who will outgrapple most of top grapplers), lutter won many bjj tournaments, hendo has outstanding body control with his greco-roman background (this guy fought hws like nog and fedor and was not outmuscled by them)

"GOAT" I really hate that term. Silva is about to retire and we are just now seeing a new crop of great fighters coming up, fighters that have had more than stellar beginnings to their careers than Silva or Fedor had. The sport is way to young to be throwing around phrases like "such 'n such is the GOAT"
Game set and match.

There is no GOAT. Its all subjective. You can make a case for alot of fighters but along as there is 1 just one person disagreeing with you then your case is shot down.

Well back then his record wasn't what it is today and people saw him as a good fighter that had lost a few times earlier in his career. I wouldn't have blamed anyone for saying he was overrated back then. I may have said such things myself...oh well hindsight is 20/20

TS, I remember it entirely differently. I remember most people, including UFC fans, were talking about how Anderson was going to beat down Chris Leben, and move on to claim the belt, and that it was nice to see such a high tier fighter enter the UFC. The long string of fights Anderson had between PRIDE and UFC didn't give him much fuel for PRIDE vs UFC debates at the time.

I remember because I am an overly biased Leben fan who wanted nothing more than to see him pull the upset and stick it to everyone.

(Leben, MW Champion 2015. You read it here first.)

Sakuraba is the GOAT and it's not even close.

Anderson hiding several weight classes below his natural weight will never get him anywhere near past the Sakuraba's, Fedor's, BJ Penn's, or even Machida's and or CC's legacies.

Nate Marquardt knocks out Maia in 20 seconds, and Anderson loses to him under PRIDE rules?

Sonnen can't even get out of the first round with Maia, and yet makes Anderson look like helpless child for 95% of their cage time together (the 2nd fight Anderson needs to resort to blatant cheating).

Nope, not even close Anderson.

If JJ stays undefeated and moves up to HW and cleans up there, he will have surpassed most fighters (and I'm not even a JJ fan, just calling it how I see it).

never go full retard, anderson always made weight as far as i know, he also fought in 3 different weight categories, 170/185/205.

Styles make fights, Sonnen beat Marquardt, Marquardt annihilated Maia. Afte Maia loss sonnen went on a run beating top guys, maia was ok recordwise and dropped to 170, while sonnen just went up to 205.

There is no GOAT. Its all subjective. You can make a case for alot of fighters but along as there is 1 just one person disagreeing with you then your case is shot down.

Thats what makes it so fun. Being a sportsfan isn't about objectivity and reason; its about gut, heart, and super bias. So much more entertaining than calm, reasonable approaches.

Fedor is still the GOAT.

Amazing athletes like JDS only help prove that point. People underestimate how hard it is to not lose a fight at HW for as long as Fedor did. Guys that big only need to touch your chin. Oh yea and....Pride never die!

People also underestimate how much luck plays a part. Fedor could have died at one point, and lost at several points, during his run. Being lucky doesn't make you a better fighter, and it can be hard to tell when someone is.

Back