Isn't catch wrestling superior to BJJ?

I think Overeem vs Werdum exposed the limitation of BJJ. Overeem by no means a world class wrestler, simply slammed Werdum to the ground each TD attempt, like a fucking fly.

I think Overeem vs Werdum exposed the limitation of BJJ. Overeem by no means a world class wrestler, simply slammed Werdum to the ground each TD attempt, like a fucking fly.

Werdum, who beat Fedor and won a UFC title vs. Cain using BJJ? That Werdum?

A grappling forum is a very odd place to troll. How would you even find your way here if you didn't genuinely care about grappling?

A grappling forum is a very odd place to troll. How would you even find your way here if you didn't genuinely care about grappling?
Literally every single thread he's ever made has been some variation of style vs style bs. Usually, it's TKD in the stand-up forum.

Please, he tricked Fedor into his guard. Fedor would beat him 97 times out of 100.

I love grappling. I seek to be enlightened. Why catch wrestling never caught on in popularity. Joe Rogan said it's more brutal than BJJ, while still retaining the jujitsu aspects.

I don't know anything about the top level of martial arts.

I don't like catch wrestling because they claim you can perform a head outside single leg with solid enough posture and force that your opponent won't be able to choke you. Unfortunately, none of their students can do it unless they were elite wrestlers from a long time before they started catch wrestling.

It is a little bit about starting a kickboxing club and really focusing in on how you can defeat a Muay Thai inside Leg Kick with a defensive jump switch spinning hook kick. Yes, you can. Yes, some people find that easy in sparring. What do those people all have in common? The Olympic trials for TKD. It is kind of silly for a third year MMA guy to be worrying about it.

Vz8MHP.gif

Just depends on the night.

TV won over circuses. If Art Dave trained in catch the history could be different now.

not really, if shamrock was any better and couldve defeated royce, then the story would be different, thing is it wasnt, and catch wrestlers prior to saku were getting molested by bjj fighters. Saku was the turning point.

The same overeem that put brock on his ass like a fucking fly, that was the ubereem, he literally almost killed fujita, todd duffe, tossed around bret rogers, that dude gave fedor a pretty tough fight. Still Werdum ironically connected more than Overeem, and since you are so fucking clueless about anything, its kind hard to grapple when dude on top is stiff and doing jack shit but to stall for a stand up.

Hows your blue belt in tkd doing? kicking some ass?

Last edited:
He is a good example for sure, though like almost all fighters it's pretty hard to pin them down to just one style. DJ also wrestled with a lot of success in high school, and judging from his guard passing (a skill that doesn't really exist in Catch since the guard doesn't really exist in Catch as such) there's a fair amount of BJJ thrown in there as well. That's a big reason these discussions are often dumb, because basically no one is pure enough of lineage to make style comparisons meaningful. You look at the most successful group of BJJ fighters in MMA history, BTT/Carlson Gracie, and they spent a lot of time learning wrestling from Daryl Gholar. Does that mean they no longer represent BJJ? Barnett has trained a ton of BJJ with the Machados, does that mean he can't represent Catch?

I probably shouldn't have responded to the obvious troll TS.

I dunno if I agree about catch wrestlers not knowing how to pass guard because there being no guard in catch wrestling.

Josh Barnett, saku, Tamura, funaki, all catch wrestlers who know how to pass guard. Ken and frank shamrock both understood the guard and they weren't bjj guys.

Mighty Mouse is the same.

The same overeem that put brock on his ass like a fucking fly, that was the ubereem, he literally almost killed fujita, todd duffe, tossed around bret rogers, that dude gave fedor a pretty tough fight. Still Werdum ironically connected more than Overeem, and since you are so fucking clueless about anything, its kind hard to grapple when dude on top is stiff and doing jack shit but to stall for a stand up.

Brock lost because he got kicked in the midsection.They never had a true grappling clinch because the match was over so quickly. I wouldn't be so quick about Overeem being a world class wrestler.

Hows your blue belt in tkd doing? kicking some ass?

Blue belt in ITF is nothing to sneeze about?

Last edited:
Back